Author Topic: Do you use a street light as a main room light?  (Read 5014 times)
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #30 on: May 02, 2022, 12:57:45 AM » Author: tolivac
Some outlets made for electric razors had rectifiers in them-old the older days shavers had brushed motors in them.They would run better and quieter from the DC power from the  razor outlet.If the LP light was placed where it can't be touched from the sink or bathtub-shower-whould be fine.Not recommended and would be against codes.
Olav

View Posts
View Gallery

Olav Kettner
Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #31 on: June 06, 2022, 05:30:46 PM » Author: Olav
I like to use two different streetlights for the lighting in my living room.  One of them is this fixture for 2 lamps mv 80W. 
This fixture was built in the GDR in the 1970s. 
A complete restoration took place after the purchase. 
This is the current state:

Startup ...

Regards

Olav
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 01:41:26 AM by Olav » Logged
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #32 on: June 06, 2022, 05:54:31 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
An interesting post top fixture
And a nice accumulation of lamps in the background :)
Olav

View Posts
View Gallery

Olav Kettner
Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #33 on: June 06, 2022, 06:16:02 PM » Author: Olav
Thanks,

here‘s a small extract from a brochure:

Source: VKM Katalog Zweckleuchten, Teil 2, 1978 (GDR)
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #34 on: June 06, 2022, 07:25:26 PM » Author: Foxtronix
From time to time I like to use a low-wattage mercury lamp in my room. It's not a streetlight per se but I have a particular appreciation for this contraption of mine:

None of my streetlights are small enough to be suitable for indoor use, so ballast boards are better than nothing!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #35 on: June 06, 2022, 07:29:13 PM » Author: Rommie
Ballast boards are what we use as well, although without the wirenuts  ;)  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #36 on: June 06, 2022, 08:44:56 PM » Author: joseph_125
The medium based incandescent gumballs and MV cuplights are probably the best sized fixture to use indoors. That or a small sized clamshell. Even a small cobrahead would probably look to big indoors.

The indoor post top floor lamps look pretty neat too. I kind of want to build one but all the post tops I've found are either large roadway ones with a 30" canopy or the residential type you get from places like Home Depot. The fixture of my choice would probably be a old Holophane post top designed for 200w INC or 100w MV. Can't find one for cheap though.
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #37 on: June 07, 2022, 12:16:19 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Foxtronix - Nice to use something :)

joeph_125 - I ddon't have a space in my room where a floor lamp would look good. When I get my own place, maybe. But for now, my 2 post top lanterns are standing with an unusual support ;)
You don't need to tell me about fixtures being too big for indoor use :mrg:
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #38 on: June 09, 2022, 12:01:18 AM » Author: Michael
My home is lit by a 1930s post top street light lantern with a stand designed and welded by me in 2011/12. It has a 42W Dulux - T/E which is dimmable. Lantern is a BAG Turgi PLAZA-K formally used with incandescent lamp with a wattage up to 200W.
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #39 on: June 09, 2022, 06:11:38 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Ooh nice, vintage  :). That stand looks great, too!
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #40 on: June 09, 2022, 02:47:03 PM » Author: Michael
Thank’s  8)

It took a lot of effort to design and construct the stand. The lantern itself can be converted back to original in no time by swapping replacing the G24-q socket by a porcelain E27 socket.
bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #41 on: June 12, 2022, 08:59:48 PM » Author: bulb_tester2009
Our family will replace the damaged fluorescent lamp ceiling lamp as an LED module from 2020. More than half have been replaced so far.

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #42 on: September 23, 2022, 12:04:43 AM » Author: 108CAM
I use a 2x20w AJ Ferguson Zodiac to provide light for the area around my workbench. It works really nicely and I chose it because it's fluorescent which means I don't have to wait for the lamps to warm up.
Here is a picture of the Zodiac.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies