Author Topic: Do you use a street light as a main room light?  (Read 5016 times)
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Do you use a street light as a main room light? « on: April 26, 2022, 06:58:16 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
If you have a street light in your collection, do you use it to light the room more than the hardwired fixture?

When I got my first street light (a 36W PL-L Philips Residium FGS224), about 5 years ago, I wired it up, stuck it on my top shelf, and plugged it into the wall. Since then, the light fixture that's hardwired into the ceiling has hardly been turned on. I use the Residium as my main room light every day, with the exception of running another street light for fun on occasion. It's still running the lamp it came with, and it runs for about 4 hours a day.

Does anybody else have a similar use for one of their street lights? :wndr:
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 07:16:13 PM » Author: Econolite03
Not yet… mine’s too bright.
 :o

How about street lights for other rooms of the home like the bathroom? I mean, imagine taking a shower with only the light of a Beta 5 or something.

Now on Linktree

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 07:33:10 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
That is a very nice idea, but UK homes pretty much never have power outlets in the bathroom (with exception to a shavers electric razor charger socket) and I'm not running cables everywhere. I'll stick to my hurricane lantern in the bathroom for now :)
I do have a SON150 lantern in the attic that I use instead of the 7, 60W filament lamps that are up there. A lot of energy saving, but I do need sunglasses  8)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 07:40:14 PM » Author: joseph_125
I have this gumball installed over my desk. Now I don't usually run a 150w HPS in it. It's originally intended for up to 300w incandescent but I usually run a 39W 3000K CMH in it but I've tried other lamps such as 20w LED, 50w clear MV, and 35w HPS. In fact I even built a custom 39w CMH ballast assembly for it.

As a joke I once plugged my 18w SOX Goldeye in the bathroom and took a shower with only it on. That was strange to say the least. ;D

Now I think that's the brightest streetlight I would install. All of my cobraheads are too bright and/or too heavy to install. Imagine if I installed my 400w HPS OVF there.
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 07:49:35 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
That's a nice setup indeed. It seems to work well :)

That is an interesting experience, I grant you ;D

Crikey, HPS 400 in any room short of a sports stadium would be excessive! :poof:
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 09:38:12 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I have 3 in my room ! https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5198&pos=52&pid=188771

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 10:02:07 PM » Author: joseph_125
That's a nice setup indeed. It seems to work well :)

That is an interesting experience, I grant you ;D

Crikey, HPS 400 in any room short of a sports stadium would be excessive! :poof:

Thanks! Yeah the SOX shower was pretty strange indeed lol. I'd say the most I'd go for a indoor streetlight inside a typical residence would be 70w MH/HPS or 100w MV. Any more and it'll probably be too much. Maybe 175w max for some larger rooms.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 11:30:28 PM » Author: 108CAM
I have a B2222 with an 11w Philips Ambience CFL that looks almost identical to a 50w MV bulb. I use it alongside 2 F36T8 battens when I'm in my room working. This is because 2 of the 4 hardwired lights are  :eoled: however the 2 that still work do an excellent job at eliminating the shadows created by the fluorescent lights. I'm very limited with mounting options for my fixtures because my parents don't want me cutting holes in the walls.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 12:22:40 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I have a 4 streetlights, none of them are something I'd use as a room light .lol. ...
2 are HPS (both of which are currently stored in the attic)
2 are cheap eBay LED (one is up in the backyard, the other is?..actually I'm not sure where in the house it is right now(possibly laying around the basement))

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 06:41:42 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Wide-lite 1000 - That looks great!

Joseph_125 - Yeah, I use HPS 70 on occasion. I do have a 150 for the attic, and one for the garden, but that's the limit for those.

180CAM - That seems like a decent setup. I'm in a similar situation to you. My lantern is just resting on the shelf, with the cable going across and down to the plug socket.

Xmaslightguy - I have a couple of HPS 150 lanterns in storage too, but the lower wattage lanterns are out and ready to light. High wattage HPS >100 is probably not the best for domestic room lighting :)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #10 on: April 27, 2022, 08:02:32 PM » Author: Rommie
As you probably already know, we use two Gamma 6 lanterns in our living room, one 35W SOX (actually a 26W SOX-E at the moment) and one 50W HPS. They are on timers and are on during the afternoon until we go to bed.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #11 on: April 27, 2022, 10:42:56 PM » Author: joseph_125
Those post tops looks pretty neat inside. I guess they make good floor lamps. If I got one of the small Holophane post tops, I'd probably try turning it into a floor lamp too.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #12 on: April 28, 2022, 08:40:47 AM » Author: Rommie
They're excellent, perfect for what we need. Sammi in particular finds it much easier to read under sodium light.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #13 on: April 28, 2022, 09:16:37 AM » Author: Econolite03
Then at 4AM they suddenly turn on…

Now on Linktree

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #14 on: April 28, 2022, 09:58:33 AM » Author: Rommie
Nah, 4pm is closer to the mark  :lol:

'Gemma' (SOX) runs from 4pm to 10pm, and 'Gary' (HPS) from 6pm to midnight.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies