Author Topic: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban.  (Read 3843 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #15 on: June 02, 2023, 08:24:16 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Joseph, you do know what the definition of 'expert' is, don't you.?  :wndr:

'X' is an unknown factor, and 'spurt' is a drip under pressure...  :mrg:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #16 on: June 02, 2023, 10:18:04 AM » Author: Rommie
Groan... Have I got to start issuing :slap: again..?  ::)  :rr:  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #17 on: June 02, 2023, 01:12:35 PM » Author: AngryHorse
It’s odd how they focus on lighting?, surely the biggest energy consumer in the US is air conditioning?, especially at this time of year?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #18 on: June 02, 2023, 01:51:41 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I hadn't thought of that, as this side of the pond we don't have it as general rule.  :wndr:

I've had a shufti at t'interweb and found this guide.!  :poof:

Way more than any lighting uses, and it's going to be running 24/7 in some cases.

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #19 on: June 02, 2023, 03:53:01 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
This is very frustrating. I have another to say but I'm gonna just leave it at that.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #20 on: June 02, 2023, 04:28:15 PM » Author: arcblue
I don't know the answer to what will happen to unsold stock, and I suspect retailers won't want to tell the public, as the goal is to sell as much of it as possible for as much money as possible before the deadline. My guess would be that any remaining stock is "supposed" to be destroyed and then written off (maybe there's a tax benefit in doing so), or, the retailer/wholesaler may sell them to some independent party/parties under the table to get some money, then those individuals will sell the banned lamps on online marketplaces where it's harder to track and prosecute. Or, maybe the banned lamps will be exported to other, perhaps third world countries for "recycling" (use and resale).

All speculation, of course....

I can't imagine any new technology will replace LED in the foreseeable future. Perhaps organic LEDS (OLEDs) will be the natural evolution in the lighting industry. At the least, lumen per watt efficiency will increase. But the main trend seems to be to reduce production cost and increase profit, and integrated LED fixtures are utterly perfect since when one fixture dies early, if an identical replacement fixture is no longer sold, you have to replace every fixture in a room for them to all match again. Maximum profit and customers will keep returning! I suspect the incandescent ban paves the way to also ban fixtures that have sockets, encouraging more cheap fixtures with non-replaceable and low-quality components and forcing people who are afraid to touch wiring to hire electricians to replace their failed light fixtures.

I'm lampin...

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #21 on: June 02, 2023, 04:31:15 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I still see a number of fixtures with E26 sockets still being sold but mostly with decorative edison style lamps.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #22 on: June 02, 2023, 05:22:29 PM » Author: joseph_125
@Mandolin Girl - Hah, good one. ;D

Yeah I don't think banning E26 sockets would happen. There are a lot of LEDs that make use of those sockets too. I can't imagine they would force everyone on a new socket standard. They attempted it with GU-24 and that never really took off.

I'm also suspicious at the laser focus behind lighting bans. If energy savings was the goal there are other sectors like HVAC to investigate. Besides in my area, high energy costs have made people adopt LED before any ban did so banning it just seems like a waste of time and money.

I believe the 15A restrictor at least in the old days was just a breaker across the incoming power lines that tripped at 15A as there were instructions on how to reset the device which involved toggling a breaker on the meter. The newer ones are probably tied to your smart meter as you mentioned. Yeah a reliable off-grid system requires quite a significant investment upfront and for continued operation. I'd imagine you'll need a combination of solar, wind, and probably a small fuel powered generator to have reliable off-grid power which adds to the cost but is probably the only way to achieve true independence from the utilities. Now I doubt they'll shut off your power for using "banned lighting" as long as you pay your bills.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 05:42:46 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #23 on: June 03, 2023, 02:27:47 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I hadn't thought of that, as this side of the pond we don't have it as general rule.  :wndr:

I've had a shufti at t'interweb and found this guide.!  :poof:

Way more than any lighting uses, and it's going to be running 24/7 in some cases.
We’ve got the opposite problem here, tumble dryer’s and electric showers are the biggest consumers, especially with the UK where tumble dryer’s are a necessity with the weather!
Electric showers are (minimum), 8000 watt!, so you can choose on that or excessive amounts of gas heating water to run a bath!

Then we come to the elephant in the room!………..EVs!, who on average draw 15 amps off your supply!, imagine EVERY petrol/diesel car in the UK being replaced tomorrow with EVs, and hundreds of thousands of people coming home from work and plugging the equivalent of an immersion heater in overnight to charge?

How many wind turbines will we need for that again………..?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 02:32:12 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #24 on: June 03, 2023, 06:36:47 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We rarely use our tumble dryer, our drying rack can be stood in the bath to get it out of the way, and as for our shower it has two power setting 4 kW or the full 8kW, we have it set on 4.

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #25 on: July 30, 2023, 04:33:01 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Since stock is required to be sold out by tomorrow, will the secondhand sale of incandescent lamps still be allowed like on eBay?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #26 on: July 31, 2023, 02:53:20 AM » Author: Medved
It’s odd how they focus on lighting?, surely the biggest energy consumer in the US is air conditioning?, especially at this time of year?

Well any power dissipated within the air conditioned space adds extra load to the air conditioning. So any power losses of any device then practically double: A 100W incandescent does not consume 90W more than a 10W LED, but about 180W more.
The The "first" 90W is the extra power the lamp consumes directly, the other 90W comes from the airco which has to extract the first 90W of heat from the space.

And with modern housing construction, the majority of the heat the airco has to handle comes from the people there (that you can not reduce that much) and from the appliances. So the main way to reduce the air conditionning consumption is to reduce the heat generated in that space. And the artificial lighting is one of the major contributor.

By the way this is the reason why using "daylight harvesting" in an attempt to reduce the energy consumption is not that straight forward as it seems, because the daylight uses to be accompanied by quite a lot of IR, which brings heat into the room, so the air conditioning then can easily consume way more than you "save". You need really very well engineered system to avoid falling into that pitfall...

No more selfballasted c***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #27 on: August 01, 2023, 04:52:01 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Is it true that the remaining number of banned American incandescent lamps in existence will dwindle to a very small amount that they will become near unobtainium in the coming days?

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #28 on: August 01, 2023, 07:48:16 AM » Author: nogden
Most retailers have done a good job of purging their inventory of banned lamps long before this day came so its not much of an issue for retailers now. But as to the question of what retailers have to do now with what inventory is left -- I don't know! I'll watch the stores around here and see if they have any banned lamps left and what they're doing with them.
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #29 on: August 01, 2023, 09:58:26 AM » Author: Maxim
Wanted to run by my local Home Depot and Lowe’s yesterday, but that never wound up happening. It’s not even about the lamps themselves; I don’t really like the lower quality Chinese products. It’s more or less for the simple purpose of commemorating the lightbulb for all it has done for us. I guess as a parting goodbye to the technologies of our past. RIP, old friend. You will be missed.

Edison must be rolling in his grave.

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies