Author Topic: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps?  (Read 1221 times)
ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « on: May 03, 2022, 08:02:32 PM » Author: ElectroLite
This has stirred up many debates around here whenever we have people over and I bring out the streetlights.

Personally, I see SOX lamps as a very BRIGHT VIVID yellow, much like this: :bulbman:
However; some other family members see SOX as a deep orange, and absolutely detest the light put off by them: :lps:

This goes for HPS as well, where I see a yellowish white lamp :bulbman:, they see an orangish white lamp :hps:. This is probably why I like the colour of LPS so much!
I wonder if it has anything to do with eye colour? I have blue eyes, and see it as yellow. My Dad also has blue eyes, and sees it as yellow. However on my Mom's side of the family who mostly has brown-hazel eyes, they see orange.
I know for a fact that it's not just subjective opinions on what colours are either. I once held up a yellow handled screwdriver that EVERYONE agreed was yellow. When I told them that's the colour that I saw, they couldn't believe me.

Just curious to hear how everyone else perceives SOX lamps or just sodium in general as it sure varies person to person!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 08:07:12 PM by ElectroLite » Logged
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 08:18:38 PM » Author: Econolite03
LPS is deep yellow from my perspective, I love being around them. But my grandpa (who lived around SOX lights back in the 80s) hates them though, it makes everything around him look like mud and he’ll probably strangle me if I put one near him lol.
 :sox18:
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 12:24:29 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I definitely see SOX as yellow and HPS more as orange .  :lps: :hps:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 01:28:29 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I’ve always been intrigued when people see yellow, as I have always seen orange, even with HPS, I don’t see any yellow in either!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 02:35:52 AM » Author: joseph_125
Hmm I wasn't sure so I'd decide to light some lamps to find out. Anyway SOX to me is more like a amber yellow, maybe with a bit of orange. HPS on the other hand looks like a pure yellow, maybe golden yellow depending on the lamp.

Interesting that some of you guys see yellow, I've always considered SOX to be more orange than yellow if you asked me to pick between the two.
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 04:50:44 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
I see LPS as deep amber or golden, if you will. If I'm in a room with it long enough, it does appear to brighten, but If I look at it through a camera with colour correction, the room quickly goes back to the amber colour. This is pretty much exactly how it appears to me. I did do this again with a higher wattage lamp, see here. While it looked exactly like the first in person, albeit much brighter, the brightness made the camera autocorrect slightly making it appear a lighter yellow.

HPS, once warm, doesn't have much of an orange tinge to me. I see it as ultra warm white.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 06:47:31 AM » Author: Rommie
I'd say it's bananananananananana (sorry, never know when to stop with that word  :lol:) coloured.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 08:46:38 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
You had to, didn't you :mrg:
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 09:59:30 AM » Author: Rommie
Oh yes  :lol:  :P

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 02:07:35 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I see LPS as deep amber or golden, if you will. If I'm in a room with it long enough, it does appear to brighten, but If I look at it through a camera with colour correction, the room quickly goes back to the amber colour. This is pretty much exactly how it appears to me. I did do this again with a higher wattage lamp, see here. While it looked exactly like the first in person, albeit much brighter, the brightness made the camera autocorrect slightly making it appear a lighter yellow.

HPS, once warm, doesn't have much of an orange tinge to me. I see it as ultra warm white.
If I’m in a room with SOX for long enough, I start seeing green everywhere!, anyone else ever seen this?  :o

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 03:43:41 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Only if I've looked straight at the lantern for several minutes and I leave the room. That phenomenon is quite rare for me as I almost always have my computer on when the SOX lamp's in use. The screen light isn't bright enough to overpower the SOX anywhere in the room, so I still get the full effect, but there is a colour reference.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #11 on: May 09, 2022, 12:13:10 AM » Author: 108CAM
I see SOX lamps as a deep yellowish orange with almost monochrome colour rendering

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #12 on: May 09, 2022, 06:05:15 AM » Author: Rommie
No 'almost' about it, it is monochrome, and we love it  :lps: :lps: :lps:  ;D

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #13 on: May 09, 2022, 10:15:08 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
From my experience, I see high pressure sodium lamps emitting a bland orange hue while I see low pressure sodium lamps emitting a deep orange hue.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do you perceive the colour of SOX lamps? « Reply #14 on: May 09, 2022, 10:45:36 PM » Author: Cavannus
I have blue-grey eyes and I see LPS/SOX and HPS as orange. A kid of desatured/brownish orange, between orange and amber, comparable to the one of an old dried orange fruit. But the colour I see is orange.

I have a Manker LED flashlight that is advised as "yellow" and that has a LED that the manufacturer describes as "converted yellow". The tint of this light is visually similar to the HPS light (590nm, although not monochromatic), to me it's orange, somewhat amber, definitively not yellow!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 08:03:50 AM by Cavannus » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies