Author Topic: Orange sodium lamps  (Read 3124 times)
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Orange sodium lamps « on: May 26, 2022, 02:11:40 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Of course, all sodium lamps appear orange - amber for most people. I'm talking about the ones with an orange coating on them.
I've seen Rommie's Amber glassed SO/H, supposed as a darkroom safelight.
I've seen Max's SOI safelight
But this is a new one. On Ebay I've just found a Philips 35 watt SOX lamp with an orange coating. The seller claims it was intended for TV high masts / tall buildings for a warning light (like the red aviation beacons). I have attached an image below. Does anyone have some insight on this? Is it just another safelight or is it genuinely a safety light?
:wndr: :sox35:
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 02:28:52 PM » Author: Rommie
I've seen the 45W SOI/H that James has on Lamptech, but that was definitely intended as a darkroom safelight, and also Max's one, but I've not come across a SOX version so far. Pity the paint is flaking off, or I'd be interested.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 02:36:34 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
The paint is a shame, but who knows if there is another on about?
It's on auction, so I don't want to encourage a bidding war, but right now it's at £15.00, cheaper than most SOX lamps nowadays :-\
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 03:14:39 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah the flaking paint is a shame. Hopefully a collector gets up getting it. It would be a shame if someone got this and intended to scrape off the paint in order to use it as a regular SOX lamp.
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 04:30:43 AM » Author: James
It’s interesting to see Philips continued making these orange-painted lamps far longer than they were listed in the catalogues, I did not know that a SOX version existed.

I do think it would be a darkroom safelight rather than an aerial obstruction lamp.  That latter application would not be sensitive to actinic blue light and require painting.  Moreover, aviation laws require the use of red obstruction lamps, usually flashing.  An orange sodium colour lamp would be quite indistinguishable from ordinary ground streetlighting.

There were, however, pure neon versions of sodium lamps that were made specially for aviation lights.  They were almost the same as sodium types but without the sodium, and filled with a lower neon pressure than normal to increase the light output, plus with some xenon to extend their lifetime.  GE/Thorn made those until around 2005.

Good luck with the bidding on this one!
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 05:53:21 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Thanks for the insight, James :)
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 01:31:41 PM » Author: BT25
Very unique lamp...now I've got something else to find... ::)
Hmmm...I thought all SO, SOX, and SON were orange! :lol:

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 01:35:56 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Oh for goodness sake :lol:

I see LPS as golden and HPS as ultra warm white, with a very slight orange tinge.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #8 on: July 09, 2022, 01:37:43 PM » Author: Rommie
And here was me thinking they were yellow  :lps: :mrg:

Anyway, whatever colour they are, there are slight lines elsewhere in the spectrum that can fog photographic materials, so the paint was added to filter those out, in a similar way to the amber (or is it yellow..?!) glass on our SO/H lamp  :lps:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 02:51:15 PM by Rommie » Logged

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #9 on: July 09, 2022, 01:43:39 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
I think that glass is orange, personally :wndr:. Similar to my low bay, but a bit deeper in colour.
Lampwizard

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 01:05:07 PM » Author: Lampwizard
Talking about the perception of the color of a SOX lamp: when I'm standing in a room brightly lit only by a SOX lamp (narrow pupils) then I perceive the color as a harsh yellow light with a hint of orange. However, when I'm driving on a SOX lit road when it is dark (wider pupils) then the color seems to be softer and more orange-ish than yellow. It seems as if spectral sensitivity of the eye is changing with lower illumination levels...

Philips colour 27: best fluorescent tube colour.

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #11 on: July 16, 2022, 02:21:45 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
It does. The eye's peek sensitivity changes depending on ambient light levels. Yellow in high light levels, but more green in low light levels.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #12 on: July 22, 2022, 04:28:33 AM » Author: 108CAM
I originally thought that maybe it's a production sample for some kind of colour corrected LPS lamp with improved colour rendering but the TV mast seems more likely as I read the replies.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #13 on: July 22, 2022, 05:32:17 AM » Author: Rommie
I'm pretty sure it's a darkroom safelight, the 45W SOI/H ones I've seen were certainly made for that purpose  :wndr:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Orange sodium lamps « Reply #14 on: November 16, 2022, 01:07:07 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Here is what one of those looks like in much better condition.  :lps: :wndr: :love:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies