Author Topic: Which lamp is older?  (Read 2126 times)
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Which lamp is older? « on: May 30, 2022, 07:12:40 PM » Author: RadiantMV
2 cleartop 400 watt westy lifeguards, one of which I will get in a trade. My question is, if anyone can date by etch, which one is older and what is the exact year?

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Which lamp is older? « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 07:16:57 PM » Author: HPS_250
The H33-1-GL/DX is definitely older since it was made before the 400w lamps were called H33GL-400/DX as they still are. If I remember correctly it’s likely from the 60s to around 1972/73. Unfortunately I don’t know the exact dates from the etches though, I’m sure some other members do.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

LightbulbManiac

View Posts
View Gallery

LightbulbManiac

Re: Which lamp is older? « Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 04:44:12 AM » Author: LightbulbManiac
The only date code I could decode is for the second lamp since on the first one I can't clearly see the date code.
57 = May 1967/1977

I'm not a big fan of led bulbs since they're the cause of other COOLER technology types being phased out....

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which lamp is older? « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 12:56:10 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I'm gonna say the bottom one is older as the top one has the "R" in the etch . In the US at least , the "R" came out in the early 80's as a designation of a standard Mercury Vapor lamp.

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Which lamp is older? « Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 03:54:41 PM » Author: BT25
Top is from January, 1981.
Bottom is from May, 1967.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which lamp is older? « Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 04:33:20 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I figured someone else could give a more detailed answer as to the dates .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies