Author Topic: Tube guards on a germicidal lamp?  (Read 663 times)
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Tube guards on a germicidal lamp? « on: June 22, 2022, 05:58:53 PM » Author: RadiantMV
Could one of those clear fluorescent tube guards allow you to safely operate a germicidal lamp without risk of UVC exposure?
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Tube guards on a germicidal lamp? « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 06:15:48 PM » Author: Burrito
Or maybe find a clear one then spray paint the inside with phosphors or something?

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Tube guards on a germicidal lamp? « Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 06:16:51 PM » Author: Rommie
Not sure what device you mean, but as long as there is plain glass between you and the lamp it should be ok. Make sure there is no possibility of leakage anywhere, and limit your exposure time, just to be on the safe side.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Tube guards on a germicidal lamp? « Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 06:50:24 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We used a big beer glass upside down as a barrier.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Tube guards on a germicidal lamp? « Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 06:58:44 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I don't think a tube guard would do anything since they're made of plastic .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Tube guards on a germicidal lamp? « Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 09:53:42 AM » Author: Medved
Well most plastics do block UV, but at the expense of the heavy corrosion (browning) of that plastic. So not a good idea.
And even a phosphor wouldn't help, it by far does not absorb all of the UV. The real UV blocker on a regular general lighting fluorescents is the soft glass tube material, so if something, I would start from that (e.g. making an enclosed wooden display box with a regular soft glass cover window)...

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Tube guards on a germicidal lamp? « Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 09:55:51 AM » Author: dor123
What is the UV absorption curve of most plastics?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Tube guards on a germicidal lamp? « Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 06:40:27 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Plastic ones might work, but they would yellow almost instantly. What I think you should do, is get some borosilicate glass tube, and cut it to size. Glass blocks the UV, and doesn't yellow. And if you're wondering, yes it does let that beautiful ghostly blue through.

HID Fixtures should stay HID!
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies