Author Topic: North American 4 pin CFL magnetic ballast incompatibility claim.  (Read 818 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
North American 4 pin CFL magnetic ballast incompatibility claim. « on: July 09, 2022, 02:19:18 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
When I have been looking at 4 pin CFL light bulbs on the internet that are intended for the North American market, I have noticed that many manufacturers state that 4 pin CFL lamps are NOT compatible with magnetic ballasts whatsoever at all and will only operate on electronic ballasts. In fact, it is actually possible to run some 4 pin CFL lamps on magnetic ballasts as long as you wire an external starter across 2 of the pins or if you use a magnetic rapid start ballast as in the case with some PL-L CFL lamps.

I am interested in knowing why so many North American manufacturers often falsely claim that all 4 pin CFL lamps are incompatible with magnetic ballasts?

Here is Sunlite’s magnetic ballast incompatibility claim for 2G11 PL-L CFL lamps:

“Linear Plug-Ins:
These lamps consist of either 2 separate parallel tubes, a single U-shaped tube, or two parallel tubes joined near the top of the bulb, and have 4 pins on the base lined up in a row. All linear plug-in fluorescent light bulbs operate on electronic ballasts. 2G11 bases are utilized for all linear plug-in fluorescent light bulbs (regardless of wattage). They are found in troffer fixtures, wall washer fixtures, retail track lighting, and menu boards.”

In a technical sense, 18w, 24w, and 36w PL-L CFL lamps were originally designed for magnetic preheat ballasts utilizing an external starter while 40w and 50w PL-L CFL lamps were originally designed to operate on rapid start ballasts in North America.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: North American 4 pin CFL magnetic ballast incompatibility claim. « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 09:34:55 PM » Author: dor123
This is true also with the European 4 pin CFLs that states that they are suitable only for electronic ballasts and emergency ballasts.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: North American 4 pin CFL magnetic ballast incompatibility claim. « Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 09:50:47 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Some European 4 pin CFL lamps like PL-L 18w, PL-L 24w, and PL-L 36w lamps were originally intended for magnetic preheat ballasts, but other lamps like the 4 pin PL-T, PL-C, PL-R, PL-H lamps are only intended for electronic ballasts and will have a very short lifetime on magnetic ballasts.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies