Author Topic: More Leotek Problems  (Read 4564 times)
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #15 on: November 02, 2022, 10:49:11 PM » Author: Burrito
And Ge would be the Bugatti of street lighting

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 04:39:25 AM » Author: Econolite03
Ummmmmm.
70HPS

View Posts
View Gallery

sodium lamp

Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #17 on: November 05, 2022, 11:57:27 AM » Author: 70HPS
Don't forget Cree Lighting, they make decent LED fixtures too (none of the XSP's around me installed in 2016 have failed or color shifted) and the XSP's actually look good.

In contrast, the Leotek ECobras installed around the same time (2015-16) are dim, failed or color shifted to a weird 2600k...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 12:00:01 PM by 70HPS » Logged

I like HID, CFLs and incandescents :hps: :cflhd: :a19incan:

Favorite indoor light source: PL Fluorescent (Preferably preheat, maybe rapid start, maybe instant start but instant start is boring)
Favorite outdoor light source: High Pressure Sodium (MV maybe, but HPS is relaxing)

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #18 on: November 07, 2022, 11:14:52 PM » Author: Econolite03
Yeah, the XSPs around here have held up well from 2014.
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #19 on: November 08, 2022, 06:30:59 PM » Author: High Intensity
Yeah, I can't say I'm surprised about the GCJs being garbage.

In the case of Cree's XPS series LEDs, I've only ever seen one (partial) failure out of hundreds I've seen, SVP recently started installing XPS series fixture on intersections. On the other hand, Cree's LEDWay High Output series LEDs, which use the same LED modules as the XPSM and XPSL fixtures, seem to be just as bad as Leotek's GCM series LEDs. As I've seen close to a dozen fail just 2 to 3 years after installation, either suffering from dead LEDs, strobing, or both.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 08:20:45 PM by High Intensity » Logged
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #20 on: November 09, 2022, 06:39:22 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I'll have to get you folks some photos of some of the fixtures down here in Colorado Springs.  Not sure if they are Keotek or Cree, but they have certainly color shifted BAD since install, unless it was the intended color.  They look like a Mercury Vapor green now. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #21 on: November 09, 2022, 10:52:56 AM » Author: BT25
The utility that serves my area has been replacing the E-Cobra in mass due to the issues mentioned above. They're being replaced mostly with the latest offering from Leotek...hope they last.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #22 on: November 09, 2022, 02:09:13 PM » Author: Econolite03
…not sure if they are Keotek or Cree, but they have certainly color shifted BAD since install, unless it was the intended color.  They look like a Mercury Vapor green now.
Sounds like the old Ruud / Cree LEDways, the ones up in Los Angeles had turned a pale green color after 6 or so years.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #23 on: December 27, 2023, 08:19:04 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Well, does the issue still persist?

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #24 on: December 27, 2023, 09:19:02 PM » Author: HIDLad001
When I was in So Cal not too long ago I saw an unbelieveable sight, a pair of Leotek E-Cobras working PERFECTLY (no color shifted or purple LEDs, perfect 4000K color temp) in Palm Springs.
The rest of them (especially the CalTrans owned ones) had color shifted or burned out LED modules (a few were also completely out).
In contrast, the AEL, Solarmax, and some no-name Chinese ones around San Diego and on I-10 were all working perfectly.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #25 on: December 27, 2023, 09:21:41 PM » Author: Molly
Most of the Leotek AR-18's in Boston have yellowed out and many of the Leotek GCM2's on Storrow Drive have yellow doors.

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #26 on: December 27, 2023, 09:28:06 PM » Author: Econolite03
Well, does the issue still persist?
All the issues are going strong. GCMs, GCJ, E-Cobras still suck. Only time will tell if the GCM2 and latest GCJ are any better. Most of the cities that bought them are assuming getting warranty coverage.

Now the Cooper Verdeon, well isn’t safe either (2017+). Diodes turning orange followed by total failure. So the Verdeon, Navion, and Archeons are junk as well. More on that in the future,
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #27 on: December 27, 2023, 10:06:17 PM » Author: BT25
They're all non-servicable junk, no matter when they were made. By the time the engineers work out the issues, we'll be moving on to the next lighting technology... :lol:

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #28 on: December 27, 2023, 10:36:43 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
@LightsoftheWest: I'm not really sure. Most places that have had the E-Cobra for a couple of years or more from what I've seen have dimmed and have an ugly yellow color, while places that have had the GreenCobra for a couple of years or more are starting to turn a little bit yellow, but that color is still a lot more pleasant to look at than the E-Cobra.

@HIDLad001 - Those E-Cobras are new spot replacements if they are CalTrans owned. I've seen a few pop up recently on their system. They still mainly use SMXs for spot replacements though.

@Econolite03 - Interesting, I haven't seen that happen around here with the Verdeons, but then again, there aren't many around here to begin with. The only places I've seen the Verdeon is Rancho Cucamonga and CalTrans, which doesn't have many. The Verdeons in Rancho Cucamonga still look good, though I have seen two that failed dimly, but the Navions that they use at their intersections though...

@BT25: To be fair, most LED street lights are serviceable to an extent. I've seen a few actually repaired though for the most part they're usually replaced completely as they fail.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 10:46:27 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: More Leotek Problems « Reply #29 on: December 28, 2023, 01:27:57 PM » Author: Maxim
All the issues are going strong. GCMs, GCJ, E-Cobras still suck. Only time will tell if the GCM2 and latest GCJ are any better. Most of the cities that bought them are assuming getting warranty coverage.

Now the Cooper Verdeon, well isn’t safe either (2017+). Diodes turning orange followed by total failure. So the Verdeon, Navion, and Archeons are junk as well. More on that in the future,

Regarding Verdeons, I've seen the very same. PennDOT has been using Verdeons for a while now; there was a time when they used Autobahns, but that period was extremely short-lived due to the mass discoloration of their diodes. Now they're back.

Most Verdeon failures I've seen are 3+ year old installs. Usually 1 of 2 diodes turn orange, then die, but I've also seen completely oranged-out ones.

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies