Author Topic: Jealousy & Collecting Lights  (Read 920 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Jealousy & Collecting Lights « on: August 03, 2022, 02:15:20 AM » Author: 108CAM
For the past few months I've been jealous because I don't have a Daylight Adelaide street light in my collection. Has anyone else ever felt the same about not having an item that you really want?
Knowing that I'm not alone in these situations helps me reassure myself that everything will be OK so I don't overwhelmed and behave in a less than ideal manner.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Jealousy & Collecting Lights « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 03:06:38 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Yup, I've had the same feelings. Nowadays I get those thoughts, then they fade. Because, well it could be either I don't have the space for it, or I know an opportunity will present itself, and then I can jump on it, depending if I have space and money.

It's best to be thankful for what you have, and not to compare yourself to other collectors or things. Or, if you really really want it, you could try looking or asking around for one, of course, all while not sounding desperate.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 03:10:33 AM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Jealousy & Collecting Lights « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 05:53:35 AM » Author: Rommie
I used to feel like that, but over the years I've gradually managed to find most of the lamps that I'm interested in. For those still outstanding, I've found that it's best to adopt a philosophical approach; either they'll turn up or they won't, and getting jealous over what someone else has is pointless. Just be glad that someone has managed to rescue a rare lamp and save it  :bulbman:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Jealousy & Collecting Lights « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 08:04:38 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I can’t say I’ve ever felt jealous?, not sure that’s the right word, but I had very pleasant surprises with lighting  :D
Circa 1993 or so, I was in Greenwood Lighting getting some halide lamps and just on the off chance, I asked Harry Greenwood (the owner), if he had any linear sodium lamps buried in the back somewhere?, (is was at the time just a light hearted question).

Since linear SLI production had ended in the second half of the 80s, I wasn’t ever expecting to get one!
However to my utter astonishment, Harry told me I know of a wholesale that closing down, and I’ll have you one here by tomorrow afternoon!!  :poof: :poof:

I nearly fell over in the shop  :lol:, so don’t get disheartened, thing’s usually turn up when least expected!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Jealousy & Collecting Lights « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 09:16:59 AM » Author: Burrito
I feel like that every time for some reason

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Jealousy & Collecting Lights « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 07:48:41 PM » Author: 108CAM
Thanks for the replies. Reading them makes me feel better knowing that I'm not alone when I feel like that.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Jealousy & Collecting Lights « Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 08:10:37 PM » Author: Econolite03
Hi, I'll chime in.

You don't need every bulb in the universe to have a great collection. Some collectors are cool with a bunch of stuff, but in reality some are just fine with little. That's how I started... with a few bulbs I took out of my parent's lamps, and I do sometimes look back wishing I stuck to just that. Appreciating what you already have goes a long way, and (this is from my own experience,) you can't buy your way into happiness with this hobby. I had to place a moratorium on my signal hobby a year ago and soon my lighting hobby because of space, funding, and personal reasons.

In contrast, I actually enjoy the thrill of going to second-hand stores (such as our ReStores) about having something small randomly show up... for cheap! I found a few Sylvania incandescent bulbs and a GE Watt-Miser for free that way. Yeah those bulbs are used and don't get that much appreciation on sites like this, but from my perspective I see a lot of value in it. The fact something appears out of nowhere kinda means it's meant to be with you. Don't get intimidated by the lighting forums. Every collection is different, that's what makes places like Lighting_Gallery unique to many.

I don't know if this helped, but I hope it makes sense.
 8)
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Jealousy & Collecting Lights « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 08:43:01 PM » Author: Burrito
I feel the same, Although, i'm starting to not express it through rage.

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Jealousy & Collecting Lights « Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 11:23:29 PM » Author: joseph_125
Well said!

Another thing to keep in mind is length of time spent collecting. When I first started out, I didn't have much either, no cobraheads, signals. Just a few small fluorescent fixtures and some random light bulbs from around the house. For the first few years most of the stuff I had was stuff I found in hardware stores and later Restore. To be honest, I didn't really buy much on eBay until the past 3 years or so. Previously all my finds were stuff I found in person, which is enjoyable in it's own right as you get the thrill of spotting a rare lamp/fixture sitting on the shelf. Finding something on eBay is no where near as exciting. The other thing is, stuff seems to just show up. I've been searching for a louvered fluorescent fixture for years and haven't had much luck and then one day when I least expect it, I see one getting thrown out so I grabbed it.

To be honest, barring any rare "bucket list" finds, I've been putting limits on what I buy and pass up on stuff. I simply don't have the room, time, or money to buy up everything I see that's remotely interesting. At the moment, barring any exceptional finds, I don't think I plan to acquire any more cobraheads or signals for the time being. Maybe in the future when I can properly figure out a way to store them I'll start looking again.

To be honest, it's better off having a smaller collection than to have a ton of lights and then figure out how to sell them afterwards if you need to slim down. 
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Jealousy & Collecting Lights « Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 07:16:27 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Same here! Now as for a fixture I really want but I don't have (and they are everywhere in my area), is an AEL Luxmaster. Now as for jealousy goes, I sometimes feel jealous about the lights you guys have in your collections. I am new to this hobby, and like joseph125:
Another thing to keep in mind is length of time spent collecting. When I first started out, I didn't have much either, no cobraheads, signals. Just a few small fluorescent fixtures and some random light bulbs from around the house.
I cannot find any interesting bulbs/fixtures in the local ReStore, so I will probably end up having to resort to eBay.

HID Fixtures should stay HID!
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Jealousy & Collecting Lights « Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 08:54:09 PM » Author: Foxtronix
My perspective on this is pretty similar to Joseph's. And I'll add that downsizing sucks LOL.

I find it easier now to let a desire fade away than fulfill it and then realize the added trouble of that new item wasn't really worth it after all. It doesn't always go this way but I got a whole lot more selective on what I decide to acquire, despite having much more buying power than I used to!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies