Author Topic: Why does Japan have very few off brand light bulbs?  (Read 996 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why does Japan have very few off brand light bulbs? « on: August 22, 2022, 02:00:22 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
After I have been searching for Japanese market light bulbs to add to my collection, I have noticed that most of their light bulbs tend to come from several name brands like Iwasaki, National/Panasonic, Hitachi, Mitsubishi/Osram, Toshiba, and NEC. From what I can tell, I have seen very few off brand light bulbs sold in Japan. Why is this so?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Why does Japan have very few off brand light bulbs? « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 12:50:08 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Off-branded lamps can be notorious for premature failure. I've heard Japan has very high and strict quality standards, especially when it comes to automotive manufacturing, so they may not allow off-branded lamps to be made due to their dubious quality.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 01:35:11 AM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Why does Japan have very few off brand light bulbs? « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 01:40:36 PM » Author: RCM442
It's due to the fact that off brands can fail early and most Japanese prefer things made in their own country.

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why does Japan have very few off brand light bulbs? « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 01:52:07 PM » Author: Rommie
So do I, sadly there is very little made here any more :sadbulb:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Why does Japan have very few off brand light bulbs? « Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 03:28:27 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It's due to the fact that off brands can fail early and most Japanese prefer things made in their own country.

I do have some examples of Japanese market Panasonic and NEC fluorescent lamps that are made in China.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Why does Japan have very few off brand light bulbs? « Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 05:01:15 PM » Author: HIDLad001

I know it is kind of off-topic, but have several Japanese made pieces of Hi-Fi equipment, and every single one of them is very high quality. So that proves the point that Japanese made things generally are pretty high quality.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Why does Japan have very few off brand light bulbs? « Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 09:00:25 AM » Author: Silverliner
I have Asahi/Kyokko bulbs from Japan in nice Japanese sleeves so offbrands are out there.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies