Author Topic: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby  (Read 5756 times)
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 12:30:38 AM » Author: takemorepills
2 very important things:

1. you shouldn't let what other people say, or think, get under your skin. They have no actual authority in your life, and they may just be acting out their own demons on social media.

2. Facebook is a dumpster fire. In fact, most social media is a dumpster fire. Most people are drawn to social media because we get excited to participate. However, there's nobody to punch someone in the face. People are completely unhinged online, say wild things, and can be very mean. Why even be on social media? I absolutely don't see the value.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 01:12:11 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
All the social media sites be it facebook, Tikie Tokie, Instagram, Twatter, whatever- they are all going to be full of contention and haters.  The only reason I stay on facebook now is to be able to keep in touch with family and friends from years ago.  When FB first came out it was a nice platform but the trolls move in and destroy anything good.

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #17 on: October 06, 2022, 05:54:42 AM » Author: Rommie
I must be old fashioned, I use the phone (and I mean the phone, actual talking) to keep in touch with family/friends  :lol:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

NElighting0503

View Posts
View Gallery

Jude - Lighting collector & photographer

UCarc5doN_q6jwc1wqF0oPig
Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #18 on: October 06, 2022, 04:17:25 PM » Author: NElighting0503
You got to have pretty thick skin to be on places like Facebook. While admittedly I have it myself, I only really ever use it to browse marketplace and keep in touch with my local area groups (of which are very well moderated, any poor behaviour is grounds for an immediate removal.) There are definitely groups out there which are very poorly moderated and have some very rude and arrogant people on. If you find yourself in a group that doesn't seemingly have much or any moderation then your best port of call is to simply leave it and not return.

I personally have my Facebook on some pretty tight security settings. My account is private, I don't upload pictures of myself, share my friends list, (or even share it with my friends!) I also very rarely comment on posts, and when I do it's usually on my local private community pages and not on large public ones. If you still really have a good purpose to use Facebook, then use some of my tips if you haven't already; failing that, you may wish to temporarily or even permanently delete your account!

Interested in lighting since 2011,
Collecting since 2018.

🇬🇧 North east England,
230V 50Hz

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #19 on: October 06, 2022, 04:41:01 PM » Author: Rommie
Wouldn't touch FB (or any of them) with a very long pole, far too intrusive. Almost as bad as Amazon; I saw a documentary on their data mining practices a year or two ago and it scared me to the point of closing my account on the spot. Even if you don't have an account, their aim is to know as much as possible about everybody, and they're getting uncomfortably close.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #20 on: October 06, 2022, 04:51:26 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah if you want to drop all the baggage with your old Facebook profile, you could just make a new one, keep it fairly locked down (generic profile pic, profile set to private, limited contacts etc) and use that for use with only Marketplace. I would also avoid tying anything to your old account too so use a different email/phone number and don't search for people you know through your old account with the new one.

Finally I wouldn't bother with the Facebook app on mobile. I find it much more intrusive compared to using just the website on browser. Especially the Android version, not sure about iOS.

But yeah, pretty much all of those social media sites make their money by selling user data to advertisers and have rather sketchy data policies. I heard TikTok is the worst of the bunch though in terms of privacy. It's really just a pick your poison situation in terms of using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTock, YouTube, Reddit, Discord, etc. 
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #21 on: October 06, 2022, 05:03:30 PM » Author: Rommie
As I said, I wouldn't go anywhere near any of them. I've never understood why anyone uses them tbh, what's wrong with picking up the phone and talking to people..? Especially when they're local to you, which most people's (close, at least) friends usually are. Or maybe go and actually see them face to face..?  @-@

Even text messages annoy me slightly, and despite spending hours upon hours on here, I'm not a great fan of typing at people, either  :lol:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #22 on: October 06, 2022, 05:15:47 PM » Author: joseph_125
Unfortunately a lot of people from the younger generations pretty much have their entire lives revolving around social media and the clout they get from those sites. Add in some anti social tendencies from a rather warped view of the world and you get the current level of discourse on most social media comment sections.

Text messages don't annoy me too much but I just use them for short quick updates or to make arrangements to see people face to face. For an actual decent conversion, I'd just use the phone or make arrangements to meet face to face. I find it difficult to get my point across in text message form anyway. I prefer email where the longer format actually lets me get my point across without either the other party replying mid message chain and missing half of my messages or having to abbreviate my message to the point where it becomes confusing and easily misunderstood. 
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #23 on: October 06, 2022, 05:18:23 PM » Author: Rommie
Personally I prefer my communications in real time, rather than having to wait for the other person to reply, that's if they ever do. How about giving me a call sometime Joseph, I'm sure I gave you my number  :mrg:

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #24 on: October 07, 2022, 12:27:28 AM » Author: Lumex120
As others have said, leave the FB group. I know exactly which one it is and I really am not a fan of how so many members are moving to places like that and leaving this site. They just become toxic ****holes before too long where every little thing has to be blown up into some huge drama.

Unofficial LG Discord

LightDragon

View Posts
View Gallery

Street luminaire collector of any kind.

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #25 on: October 07, 2022, 02:46:08 PM » Author: LightDragon
My situation happened in the American Streetlighting Group. The administrators were actually the ones who started it with me. They got offended because I was explaining the design of a fixture and they disagreed by yelling and cussing me out like I'm some sort of know it all. I'm not one to get mad over small things like that nor should anger even be a rational response to something like that.

I am a Cooper OVD fan! Also mercury vapor is the best light there is...

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #26 on: October 07, 2022, 03:08:26 PM » Author: Econolite03
Yeah, get out of that group.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #27 on: October 07, 2022, 03:10:06 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
I left the American Streetlighting Enthusiasts Facebook group a while ago. The admin is extremely immature and should not be in charge or have any position of leadership. Facebook really needs to put an age limit on who can be administrators in groups. Children shouldn't be in charge of adults because they're not matured and this is the result. It needs to be like at least 25 years or older. Maybe even 30+. There are a number of know it alls in this hobby and they're one of them along with a list of others including people on this site. I'll agree about the younger generation. They spend all if not most of their time glued to a computer all day trying to compete and prove who knows more on these groups.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #28 on: October 07, 2022, 03:10:10 PM » Author: Burrito
My situation happened in the American Streetlighting Group. The administrators were actually the ones who started it with me. They got offended because I was explaining the design of a fixture and they disagreed by yelling and cussing me out like I'm some sort of know it all. I'm not one to get mad over small things like that nor should anger even be a rational response to something like that.
Yeah, It might be best to get out of the group. It could destroy your mental health and that wouldn't be good

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #29 on: October 07, 2022, 04:12:56 PM » Author: joseph_125
I agree with leaving the group and block the admins that started this just they don't just continue the drama by PM. It honestly sounds like a terrible place. I debated joining a while back but it was set to all private which was a red flag as I usually prefer to get a feel of the group before committing to join. To be honest, I feel like there's less drama on LG now that people left LG in favour for those groups so that's the silver lining I guess.

I'm surprised there's no age limit either. Even LG has one, I believe you have to be 16 or older to join the site.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies