Author Topic: Are chandeliers ever separately switched?  (Read 913 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Are chandeliers ever separately switched? « on: November 20, 2022, 10:56:58 PM » Author: Cole D.
I notice some 90s chandeliers, have sometimes a separate down light in the center. Usually these seem to use small Par bulbs. It seems sometimes the center bulb is off though with the outer ones all lighted. Was that part ever separately switched?

And it made me think of this because my aunt has 7 light chandelier, where the outer 6 are the bell shaped shades. The shade in the middle is bowl shaped, and I noticed the outer 6 bulbs were lit but the center was not. So I assume it’s either on two separate switches/dimmers, or else the center bulb is burned out or taken out for being too bright. I noticed the dimmer for it was grouped with another light switch so possibly the switch is for the center light?

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Are chandeliers ever separately switched? « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 03:57:13 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
My grandparents have an octagonal-shaped chandelier in polished brass with beveled glass panels in their dining room; it's from 1991. It has six candelabra bulbs on the top and a single R16 downlight in the center. There's a three-way twist knob switch on the chandelier that switches between the candelabra bulbs, the downlight, and both.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 04:12:50 PM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are chandeliers ever separately switched? « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 09:53:42 AM » Author: sol
I believe larger home chandeliers especially with a larger centre lamp have those three way switches built in. Usually, there is also a wall switch (or dimmer) that powers down everything. Growing up, we had a similar arrangement over the kitchen table.

For larger fixtures, like in churches and the like, they are oftentimes wired separately in sections, each with its own switch in the switch panel.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Are chandeliers ever separately switched? « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 09:51:44 PM » Author: Cole D.
Very interesting. I never knew any ceiling lights had rotary switches other than those early antique pendants or pan type fixtures.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Are chandeliers ever separately switched? « Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 01:35:53 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I do remember that the chandeliers we had in our house in Germany had two switches controlling the five lamp holders, so you could have two, three or all five on.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Are chandeliers ever separately switched? « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 10:30:51 PM » Author: BT25
I've seen these split-switched from wall mounted switches and/or dimmers. If I had one of these in my house, I'd replace it with an MV cobra-head.  :lol:

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Are chandeliers ever separately switched? « Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 02:20:20 AM » Author: icefoglights
The light my dad put up in the dining room when I was growing up had separately switched lights.  It had a wooden base, with a central 4" globe light, with 4 arms with lights on them.  Kind of made me think of a ceiling fan light kit.  A pull chain could select the central globe, the 4 arm lights, or both sets together.  The wiring came together at the top above the mounting plate, so they could have been wired to separate switches if desired.  It may not have been a true chandelier, but it was very 80s.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies