Author Topic: What's With All the Metal Halide Cobra's?  (Read 791 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
What's With All the Metal Halide Cobra's? « on: January 30, 2023, 05:17:22 PM » Author: suzukir122
I've noticed that Metal Halide Cobra's seem to have became a thing in/near my city... not as much as LED's, of course, but still enough to the
point where it's been noticeable. These have all been recent installations -- I've just found another Metal Halide Cobra, recent install, lighting
up part of a very small apartment complex near the Walmart closest to me. Before that installation, there was an MV Bucket Light there.
The other reason why I'm so intrigued by this... I've never seen Metal Halide Cobra's around when I was a kid. They've always been HPS and MV up
until now... am I missing something?

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: What's With All the Metal Halide Cobra's? « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 11:12:17 PM » Author: Econolite03
Hmm, that's kinda odd. Sounds like they have leftover stock or some sort of surplus they're trying to get some use out of.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What's With All the Metal Halide Cobra's? « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 12:34:33 AM » Author: joseph_125
Agreed, even Toronto with a fairly large install base of MH street lighting had more or less stopped installing MH for spot replacements 2 years ago. They had a brief stint of spot replacing failed MH with HPS but now opt for LED instead.

I suppose they could be installing older stock but I wonder where they came from if your area didn't have MH until recently.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What's With All the Metal Halide Cobra's? « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 04:46:26 AM » Author: suzukir122
I'm not sure where they're coming from, and how they managed to skip over the LED, but it's certainly been noticeable.
My area has replaced a lot of them with LED street lighting, recently, but I'm still catching Metal Halide Cobras.
Two on my way home from the gym, another one that just recently went EOL, near the HPS lit Speedway gas station, one
possibly lighting up the side of someone's barn (I'll have to double check that one though... didn't get a good look. That one
might be a bucket light.)
The Metal Halide Cobra's seem most popular in the Springboro and Middletown regions, although Middletown is slowly going LED.
I've even caught an intersection in Middletown that was completely lit with Metal Halides during a motorcycle ride, but this
was about 3 years ago.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What's With All the Metal Halide Cobra's? « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 11:12:16 PM » Author: Cole D.
That’s pretty cool, I don’t remember ever seeing MH cobras of NEMAs in my area. Mostly just wallpacks, recessed lights or shoebox lights with it.

The fact that they’re being installed now makes it the more interesting.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's With All the Metal Halide Cobra's? « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 05:59:26 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 All of the MH cobras here in Grove City seem to be going the way of the dinosaur ! There's only one stretch of Stringtown road that still has them for now . 

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What's With All the Metal Halide Cobra's? « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 06:48:34 PM » Author: suzukir122
I remember near the Columbus area had a lot of Metal Halides, although the ones I saw weren't Cobras. There are tons of places I've yet to
visit in Columbus, so maybe I'll see Metal Halide Cobras along the way lol

Interests:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What's With All the Metal Halide Cobra's? « Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 11:53:14 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, there's some MH remaining in Toronto but a bunch of them got LEDized back in the fall. Most of the gumballs are still the old MH Cooper URBs but any replacement one is a LED Cyclone Kanata. Granted they look pretty similar to each other so most people won't be able to tell the difference.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What's With All the Metal Halide Cobra's? « Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 01:24:08 AM » Author: suzukir122
There's an apartment complex near me that may contain some. Tons and tons of Mercury Vapor Cobras in it, and what look to be possible
Metal Halide Cobras as well, but greened out...? I'm not sure. Some look a little blue, others look a little green, but they do have
a distinct afterglow color that most Metal Halide lamps have... pinkish/burgundy afterglow color.
When I say this, I'm not talking about the afterglow color seen with coated Mercury Vapor lamps, which are also in some of those Cobras
as well. Seems like clear MV, coated MV, and greened or blued out Metal Halides...? I don't know, but I do know that I have the ability
to take photos of some of those Cobras. I plan on doing that soon.

Interests:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What's With All the Metal Halide Cobra's? « Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 02:47:10 AM » Author: suzukir122
Well now... unexpectedly back on this topic again. Just got back from hitting the gym. We strong. But on my way home from the gym, during the drive
back... one of the back roads... yet again... a new Metal Halide Cobra! AGAIN!! During my previous drive home from the gym, I'm pretty sure that fixture
use to be HPS... I'll have to check Google Maps to confirm it, maybe post a pic of it on this thread if I can... the installation is very new.
Also: in one of my previous comments, I said that I thought I saw one on the side of someone's barn. I was wrong... looks like it's lighting a yard
of some sort, near a shed. VERY bright Metal Halide Cobra there, high up as well, surrounded by a lot of trees...
...so in total, during my drive home just now: 3 recently installed Metal Halide Cobra's, all very bright.
The brand new one is near an intersection which recently got LED'd, which tells me that it won't be long before that new Cobra gets taken down
for LED... but man... I really wish I could find out where these Cobra's are coming from. It's 2023, and within this world of LED's, newly installed
Metal Halide Cobra's are the last thing I'd expect to find! :wndr:

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies