Author Topic: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future  (Read 4083 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #15 on: March 22, 2023, 05:56:59 PM » Author: Rommie
Hey, we have that here already, there is nothing else on retail sale. It's possible to get other lamps on eBay and similar places, but how long the supplies will last is anyone's guess.

Fortunately we have sufficient stock to see us out for the remainder of our lives.

It seems like Canada is on course to have an LED-ONLY future by 2029 according to the proposed ban.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #16 on: March 23, 2023, 12:02:41 PM » Author: Medved
Even assuming a more frequent usage pattern of 4 hours per day, a 24000 hour lamp will last 16 years before requiring replacement.

Not really, because with just 4hours/start the lamp life would be barely 10k hours, as majority of the wear is related to the number of starts and not that much the actual burn time...

No more selfballasted c***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #17 on: March 23, 2023, 12:23:29 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I'd imagine the secondary market will still be healthy even as lamps become discontinued. Long discontinued stuff since as F40CW is still easy to find on the secondary market. The main issue is that most of that stuff originates from the US and if Canada blocks imports for personal use, that's going to be a issue for bringing that stuff across the border.

Not really, because with just 4hours/start the lamp life would be barely 10k hours, as majority of the wear is related to the number of starts and not that much the actual burn time...

Well yes total life hours does vary with hours per start, lamp starting method, lamp type, etc but since I'm not quoting any specific lamp type and type for that matter and more saying that as an general example of how long a stockpile will last for instead of getting all pedantic with lamp types, etc , there is really no need to single out my comment with a direct quote like this...

But using a specific lamp type as a example, this T8 lamp from Philips is rated for 30000h on a 3h cycle even on IS....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 12:42:28 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #18 on: March 23, 2023, 01:45:42 PM » Author: Medved
I was referring more towards the HID's, where the rating uses to be designed for 10hours/start cycle.

Indeed, fluorescents are often designed to be more robust (cathode guarding,...; but mainly more surface for the sputtered material to land on without causing problems and less sensitivity to the thermal balance in general)

No more selfballasted c***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #19 on: March 23, 2023, 11:43:41 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I'm not at all surprised to read this.
With some states in the US doing fluorescent bans now, I think its just a matter of time before the US does something very similar to Canada's proposal.

Quote from: joseph_125
Yeah, I'd imagine the secondary market will still be healthy even as lamps become discontinued.
Here in CO, if the current ban (that's part of a larger proposal with a bunch of other crap) passes, Even that might not be allowed.. there's this line related to fluorescent:
"On and after January 1, 2025, a person shall not manufacture, distribute, sell, or offer for sale in Colorado any linear fluorescent lamp or any compact fluorescent lamp with a pin-type base."
I haven't seen the whole thing, and don't know what/if ant exemptions might be.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 12:40:20 AM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #20 on: March 24, 2023, 08:14:58 PM » Author: RadiantMV
That seems literally impossible to enforce.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #21 on: March 24, 2023, 08:45:02 PM » Author: Burrito
I agree.

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #22 on: March 24, 2023, 11:51:03 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Yeah, it would be. .lol.
And I doubt very much they'd bother with some random person selling a few lamps out of their basement.
But it would stop stores (including thrift stores) from selling.
Would also likely stop companies from shipping here.

(obviously stuff like eBay where its individuals selling you really can't control so easily either...)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #23 on: March 25, 2023, 08:34:43 PM » Author: Foxtronix
[...]

And to be honest, once you go past the cheap eBay/dollar store/Aliexpress/box store special grade LED stuff, they're a lot better in terms of light quality compared to the cheap stuff. Unfortunately people want cheap so a lot of your basic LED stuff is kinda junky. Besides, by 2030 or 2050, there's probably a new lighting tech out there.

At the end of the day, I'd worry less about the LEDpocalypse and focus my energy towards what I can control.

It's already underway. The tungsten filament is preparing its revenge  :P

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #24 on: March 25, 2023, 09:17:40 PM » Author: joseph_125
It's already underway. The tungsten filament is preparing its revenge  :P

Heh, it reminds me of GE's aborted HEI lamp that was claimed to have efficiencies at the low end of CFLs but with the advantages of incandescent. They suspended developement a year later "in order to focus on LED and OLED".   
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #25 on: March 26, 2023, 06:06:09 AM » Author: AngryHorse
At this point I don’t think lamp bans mean anything to anyone on here anymore!  :D, I reckon as collectors, (even if you’ve stopped collecting), we all have enough lamps to last the rest of our days!
I know I could choose to light the entire inside and outside of our house with either GLS, fluorescent, HID or LED and STILL never need to buy another lamp in my life!  :lol:

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #26 on: March 26, 2023, 07:06:19 PM » Author: RRK
Heh, it reminds me of GE's aborted HEI lamp that was claimed to have efficiencies at the low end of CFLs but with the advantages of incandescent. They suspended developement a year later "in order to focus on LED and OLED".

Tried these dichroic coated IR-bounce halogens a while ago. Osram or Philps? They did not live up the hype - actually, poor lifetime and visually the same light output  :(
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #27 on: March 27, 2023, 05:47:48 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
At this point I don’t think lamp bans mean anything to anyone on here anymore!  :D, I reckon as collectors, (even if you’ve stopped collecting), we all have enough lamps to last the rest of our days!
I know I could choose to light the entire inside and outside of our house with either GLS, fluorescent, HID or LED and STILL never need to buy another lamp in my life!  :lol:

I have a few bases I need to cover but nothing major. Just a case of 70, 100 watt, and 150 watt HPS. And maybe a case or two of F40T12. And toss some misc packs of GLS lamps in there and then I would have plenty of burners.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #28 on: May 26, 2023, 04:45:59 PM » Author: Lcubed3
I looked at the Oregon documents ( https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2023R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/HB2531/Introduced ) and it looks like they're only banning NEW CFLs and FLs. Second hand is fair game. It applies to CFLs on Jan 1st, 2024, and to FLs on Jan 1st, 2025.

Exceptions include: Fluorescent lamps in printers, photography, lithography, holography. Lamps used "by academic or research institutions exclusively for conducting research projects or experiments." Applications for ozone generation, germicidal, fly traps, skin tanning tubes, medical, pharmaceutical, spectroscopy and photometric.

Basically, new fluorescent lamps are banned totally as of 2025. Thrift stores are unaffected.
A loophole I see is to mark any new fluorescent lamps as "For Photography Only".

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #29 on: May 26, 2023, 08:39:57 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It's sad to see more states in the USA following in the footsteps of California and Vermont.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies