Author Topic: When lamps begun having polarized plugs?  (Read 808 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
When lamps begun having polarized plugs? « on: March 25, 2023, 01:44:42 AM » Author: Cole D.
Does anyone know if there was a certain area where lamps started having polarized plugs? I’m guessing mid to late 1980s possibly?

And when did lamps started having wattage warning labels on them?

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: When lamps begun having polarized plugs? « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 05:19:27 PM » Author: LampLover
Polarized plugs for lamps started in the late 1970's
I had a lamp with a polarized plug but the old really thin plug AKA no raised bump preventing you from touching the metal prongs and a very thin profile all over.

I would think the wattage was a 1980's thing but I'm not 100% sure on that so I can't be of much help sorry.

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: When lamps begun having polarized plugs? « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 12:42:20 AM » Author: Cole D.
 Interesting, I haven’t seen a polarized type of those older thin plugs.

I too was thinking the wattage warning labels were starting in the 1980s.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: When lamps begun having polarized plugs? « Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 11:48:29 AM » Author: HPS_250
Yeah, late 1970s I believe. My house was built in 1978 and still has most of the original outlets, which are polarized. I used to live in a house from 1957 though, which also had most of the original outlets, which weren’t polarized or grounded.  :lol:

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: When lamps begun having polarized plugs? « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 10:14:17 PM » Author: Cole D.
Weren’t some older ungrounded outlets polarized? I thought they were by the 1950s at least, but I don’t think I’ve seen anything from the 50-60s or before with a polarized plug anyway.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies