Author Topic: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...?  (Read 2074 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « on: March 28, 2023, 06:56:56 PM » Author: suzukir122
I'm looking for low wattage magnetic MH Wallpacks that burn MH lamps in the vertical positioning. If I find them, they will be in my garage for
general lighting use, as I may be SELLING my MH 23w Self Ballasted Par38's. <<  :wndr:  :'(
I'm convinced that vertical burning MH Wallpacks are rare, but I might as well give this a try. Must be magnetic!!

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 07:28:43 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115449029021
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142651813370

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 08:39:08 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Wide-lite 1000, that first link is literally the EXACT model I was hoping to get a link to. That is excellent, but it's really unfortunate that
the seller is only selling one of them.
The second one... I've never seen that kind before, and I think that'll be the one I get, since I might be able to get three of them out of this seller.
I'm not familiar with Metal Halide fixtures, and these would be the first ones I've ever bought... would I be able to simply use wire nuts to connect the
hot and neutral wires from the fixture? Or is there more to it with Metal Halide fixtures? Dumb question, I know, but I just want to be sure.
I'd be using three pronged cords, and plugging them into outlets in the garage.
Hopefully the light "switch" would be my phone app that I use. That would be really cool!

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 09:00:04 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Here's another listing ! : https://www.ebay.com/itm/325398609238  Wiring should be just as you described ! The only thing you'd need to do is put a piece of electrical tape over the P/C so it doesn't trip off when the lights come up to full brightness !

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 09:19:17 PM » Author: suzukir122
Very nice! Yeah I'm gonna see what I can do regarding that third link. I think that would be the one that I'd pick.
The second pain that I'd have to go through is wall mounting them. I'm not sure much about how to do it.
This would be EXCELLENT, entering the garage with the sport car or bike, and simply tapping the on button on my app
and watching the lights start up around me as I park. 8;)
MUCH better than my 23w Par38 SB Metal Halides, although those are awesome too.
(By the way, I'm really thinking about selling those, along with the socket splitter they're in!)

Interests:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 09:25:29 PM » Author: joseph_125
Another option to consider is the "heavy duty" version of the first style which has a glass and aluminum front housing instead of plastic and painted plastic similar to this one I have from RAB.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325498570168
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125039733901

I also like the Cooper ones that can be mounted either horizontally or vertically. I have one of these too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333589856713

Interesting to see the second style in the first link was available in MH too. I have one that's 100w MV and I've seen ones that were 70w HPS. It's a perfect little light for the backyard once I swapped the lamp out with a DX. BTW these generally connect to the wall box like any other standard fixture, just need to connect your hot, neutral, and ground as everything else is already wired. That said, you can bypass the internal PCs if you prefer to manually switch them.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 09:27:21 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Mounting wouldn't be difficult . If you can't easily find a stud , just use some hollow wall anchors . Any Blowes , Home Repo or hardware store can help you there .

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 09:28:55 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, the ones I've seen all had a provision to be surface mounted with a surface feed, or you can mount octagonal boxes to the studs and mount them to the box.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 10:02:51 PM » Author: suzukir122
I'll more than likely purchase a stud finder before purchasing the Metal Halide wallpacks. I need those anyways for the shelved T12 HO uplighting
idea I've still got for my next apartments living room. Then I'd try and mount the wall packs in my garage after purchasing the stud finder.
@Joseph_125, all of those wallpacks are awesome, but I want to keep wattage lower. There's a chance that I'll only have one available plug outlet
in my next detached garage once I move, much similar to the one in my current garage, unfortunately.

Interests:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 09:17:02 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I use hollow wall anchors that let you take whatever it is that you've put on the wall off again.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 02:21:20 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Mandolin Girl, That looks very interesting. I'm gonna have to look online to see how to install those. (More than likely on YouTube)

Interests:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 02:58:31 PM » Author: joseph_125
@suzukir122 - Yeah, I think if they were 70w or ideally 50w, that would be good for indoor use. 50w isn't that hard to convert to as it only requires a ballast and lamp swap. If you wanted 20w or 39w, it's possible ubt you'll need to swap the ballast and the lampholder.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 03:36:41 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Suzuki: There is, basically you drill a hole large enough for the shank of the anchor to go through, then hammer it in so the pins embed themselves in the plaster board (sheet rock) and tighten it up with a cordless screwdriver, and Roberta's your auntie. One fixing in the wall that's reusable.  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #13 on: April 28, 2023, 11:06:46 AM » Author: suzukir122
The third one from Wide-Lite1000's posted link... just bought four of those. The new garage is taller than the other one, so I'm gonna
mount those Metal Halide wallpacks high up. Should look REAL nice.  ;D
I'll also be controlling them with the same GEENI plug app that I use for my apartment... when I'm pulling into the garage, all four
of them will be firing up.
Hopefully wiring up the cords isn't a pain... that lone plug receptacle in my garage is so high up, I actually need a ladder to reach it.

Interests:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #14 on: May 03, 2023, 10:42:24 AM » Author: suzukir122
With my new garage, the studs are all completely exposed. I bought wood screws from walmart, and my plan is to mount the fixtures using those
screws, against the studs in the garage. Is this a good idea? Or is there a high risk of the fixtures falling?

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies