Author Topic: Sylvania britespot color 35W red/blue  (Read 1016 times)
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Sylvania britespot color 35W red/blue « on: April 04, 2023, 11:43:43 AM » Author: RRK
Come across these weird metal halide lamps on the web. Looks like PAR integrated MH with a color filter. What is interesting, have Sylvania used optimized colored MH burners in these, or just off-the-shelf white color burners with a filter? May be James knows?
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Sylvania britespot color 35W red/blue « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 02:49:21 PM » Author: RRK
Found a product catalogue circa 2011. Based on the spectrum published, these are in fact colored burners, not only color filtered. Sylvania made them in RGB and yellow. Really an interesting object for color MH fans :)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Sylvania britespot color 35W red/blue « Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 05:14:58 AM » Author: dor123
Looks like they uses both colored arctubes and filters.
But the yellow lamp seems to have sodium and thallium like the one from BLV, and the red have an impressive sodium and lithium. The green uses thallium, and I don't know what the blue have.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Sylvania britespot color 35W red/blue « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 12:00:25 PM » Author: RRK
Blue lamp almost certain is indium, plus a little bit of lithium (intended or as an impurity?) and a bit of thermal radiation in red. So it in fact is some kind of bluish purple, still pretty, as all usual yellow-greens of a blue MH are filtered out.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 12:02:54 PM by RRK » Logged
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Sylvania britespot color 35W red/blue « Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 01:45:54 PM » Author: dor123
The emission in the spectrum of the blue lamp, don't looks indium to me.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Sylvania britespot color 35W red/blue « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 02:41:20 PM » Author: RRK
Sylvania's spectrum scales seems to be off. For Thallium, green peak shall be at 535nm, but it does not look so. For Indium, two strong lines shall be 410 and 451nm, seems to be off too. Whoever did this catalog thought readers will be too lazy to catch them for sloppiness. )
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Sylvania britespot color 35W red/blue « Reply #6 on: April 06, 2023, 05:12:53 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Why does the thermal spike seem so small in the green lamp compared to the others?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania britespot color 35W red/blue « Reply #7 on: April 06, 2023, 06:26:38 PM » Author: Max
Those colored BrightSpots are interesting little lamps. You can find detailed spectral characteristics of different models in my lamp spectra folder. It appears that those lamps have a white-light burner and a dichroic front window.

@RRK - The spectra published by Sylvania are not off. The blue lamp does not contain indium and the prominent line around 510 nm from the green lamp is not from thallium but from scandium.
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Sylvania britespot color 35W red/blue « Reply #8 on: April 06, 2023, 08:57:29 PM » Author: RRK
Yep. Thanks. The spectrum tells it all. Technically, a bit disappointing. They absolutely did not want to mess with the established fill chemistry and just reused off-the-shelf burners with off-the-shelf MR capsule filter glass. That means their blue lamp is not very bright in fact, because the original Na-Sc burner is not particularly rich in blue-violet area.... No wonder these got killed-off by modern blue led chips (>50% conversion efficiency and no messy high-voltage electronics) without any mercy....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 09:04:05 PM by RRK » Logged
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania britespot color 35W red/blue « Reply #9 on: April 07, 2023, 03:16:54 PM » Author: James
These all use a hybrid arc tube chemistry of Dy-Ho-Tm-Sc-Na-Li.  In some lamps of later production the Na:Re ratio is different for the green and blue vs red and yellow.  The former deliver about 6000K without the dichroic filter front lens, the latter about 3000K.  This helped the blue and red versions to achieve much higher brightness than if all were made with eg 4000K arc tubes.  It was sometimes objectionable with the earlier lamps that the green and yellow appeared significantly brighter

The Sylvania catalogue is certainly not off in terms of specs.  Since about 2005 it became part of the job of my department to edit these each year to ensure absolute technical accuracy.  But even before that they were rather accurate, although occasionally a little thin on some technical specifications.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Sylvania britespot color 35W red/blue « Reply #10 on: April 08, 2023, 12:56:58 AM » Author: RRK
It was just my wrong assumption, that what we see on the diagram for the blue lamp is two peaks of indium, somewhat shifted ~ 30nm in the publishing process. Well, in fact things are quite different with this lamp.

By the way - do you know why Sylvania ended up with such complicated hybrid chemistry for Britespot burners? Adding scandium to RE will (at the first sight) decrease the light quality a bit because of adding some discrete spectral peaks?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 01:26:33 AM by RRK » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies