Author Topic: Bulbs with black arc tubes  (Read 3974 times)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #15 on: February 24, 2024, 12:58:18 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Another two examples, has anyone ever seen a discharge tube ‘change shape’ ?  :D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #16 on: February 24, 2024, 03:37:25 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I have ! It seems to be a common occurance with horizontally run lamps .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Philips tigkas

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #17 on: February 24, 2024, 03:37:27 PM » Author: Philips tigkas
There is a close friend of mine(LightbulbManiac) that has a lamp with that dent on the glass.

LEDs are like an apocalypse! They slowly take over the world wiping out every other type of lamp and fixture!

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #18 on: February 24, 2024, 07:03:27 PM » Author: Richmond2000
had a light tower at work with 1000 watt MH bulbs someone decided to crank up the generator speed had 90 HZ and NOT 60 as expected blew the side of the arc tube right out
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #19 on: February 24, 2024, 11:21:24 PM » Author: 108CAM
I have a few MV lamps with tubes that are rather blackened. Most of them still work really well and some that don't work. I also have a 50w MV lamp which needs the assistance of a HPS/MH ignitor to strike because of a leaking arc tube.

This one which was likely burned every night from when it was first installed up until the textile mill that its fixture was attached to closed down and became abandoned can no longer strike.

It's tube is almost completely black and when I tested it, it tried to strike but was unable, probably because the mercury had leaked out, meaning that there was not enough mercury left to create the arc needed to start the lamp.
I might try the ignitor trick or other fixtures of the same wattage since some ballasts give the lamp more of a kick than others. The latter method actually revived one of my 50w lamps completely by surprise. There's a thread about it here somewhere but I can't be bothered trying to find it.

This has got me wondering how blackened the tubes in some of the vintage Westinghouse Lifeguards have become.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #20 on: February 25, 2024, 03:38:02 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I have ! It seems to be a common occurance with horizontally run lamps .
Incredibly the little 150 Venture with the distorted tube still starts and runs, but it burns with a very vivid blue colour!  8)

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #21 on: February 25, 2024, 03:40:59 AM » Author: AngryHorse
had a light tower at work with 1000 watt MH bulbs someone decided to crank up the generator speed had 90 HZ and NOT 60 as expected blew the side of the arc tube right out
WOW!  :o, I’ve never seen a tube with such a precise failure area before!

Welcome to OBLIVION

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #22 on: February 26, 2024, 04:23:34 AM » Author: Richmond2000
@angryhorse
I serviced and was running a light tower up as it was needed at a job site and all 4 lights lit and warmed up and about 3/4 warm all the breakers tripped
at which time I checked the output and was around 80 HZ!! and 270 volts !!
re adjusted the engine RPM to 60 HZ and 3 of the 4 lamps structed and ran up - this one did NOT
took a lamp of a spare parts tower and the other 3 are quite coloured now compared to the used lamp swapped in 
they all worked all last summer without failure
they are horizontal burned
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #23 on: February 26, 2024, 10:29:28 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Ah, that makes more sense, generators tend to do some odd things to discharge lamps!, I once remember running 24 candle tungsten lamps all day on a generator, it wasn’t until I switched it off when I realised they had all been running on 310 volts all day with a slightly faster running engine that I hadn’t checked in the morning!  :o
Funny enough though, not one lamp went pop during the day!, the humble 25watt candle lamps are pretty tough cookies!  8)

Welcome to OBLIVION

Philips tigkas

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #24 on: February 26, 2024, 12:03:15 PM » Author: Philips tigkas
So the fixtures must have been rated for 120v

LEDs are like an apocalypse! They slowly take over the world wiping out every other type of lamp and fixture!

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #25 on: February 26, 2024, 12:48:41 PM » Author: RRK
What do you think, guys and gals, does this beaten up Philips lamp still work??
Philips tigkas

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #26 on: February 26, 2024, 12:53:11 PM » Author: Philips tigkas
How in the world did that even happen!? :o

Philips tigkas

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #27 on: February 26, 2024, 12:57:12 PM » Author: Philips tigkas
Naaahh it's fine, just a tiny bit of blackening. I'd rather say that it still works 100%.:lol:

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #28 on: February 26, 2024, 12:58:40 PM » Author: RRK
And what do you think about this one?
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #29 on: February 26, 2024, 01:01:50 PM » Author: RRK
How in the world did that even happen!? :o

Stay tuned! You'll see, I promise ;)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies