Author Topic: Bulbs with black arc tubes  (Read 3720 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Bulbs with black arc tubes « on: April 09, 2023, 11:27:38 AM » Author: Cole D.
Has anyone seen fixtures where the lamps arc tube was completely black.

I did see a MV NEMA head near the golf course the other day. It’s a Westinghouse or ITT that’s missing the refractor, and I priced it has a clear MV bulb in it, but the tube is completely black. It does light at night, but barely dim enough to light the ground.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 09:26:28 PM » Author: icefoglights
When I was young, one of my neighbors had a Handyman with a clear BT28 bulb (I'm sure it was a Sylvania) that had a really blackened arc tube.  Funny thing is I don't really remember that light being used all that much.  It was mounted on a pole made from a small, peeled log and powered by an extension cord plugged into the block heater outlet.  :mv:

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 10:38:26 PM » Author: sol
I’ve seen some metal halide lamps with jet black arc tubes that still gave satisfactory light. Always amazing !
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 09:09:34 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
If it's a HPS with a completely black arc tube then the thing is on its last legs, or might be running on a lower voltage or improper ballast- enough to allow it to keep going for now. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Philips tigkas

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 04:19:06 PM » Author: Philips tigkas
Not rely but I have one at my collection that is, not completely though it still produces plenty of light.

LEDs are like an apocalypse! They slowly take over the world wiping out every other type of lamp and fixture!

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 11:05:25 PM » Author: Richmond2000
got 2 ballast in arm lights with 400 watt probe start MH bulbs
no they dont strike anymore
Philips tigkas

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 11:25:04 AM » Author: Philips tigkas
Fluorescent tubes count?

LEDs are like an apocalypse! They slowly take over the world wiping out every other type of lamp and fixture!

Philips tigkas

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 11:29:28 AM » Author: Philips tigkas
got 2 ballast in arm lights with 400 watt probe start MH bulbs
no they dont strike anymore
Cool bulb I have never seen a clear MH bulb in real life, only the frosted ones. :mvc:

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 04:58:13 PM » Author: Laurens
The Philips HPL-Ns i got from my place of work have severely blackened arc tubes. They're getting dim and flickery - out of 12 that are still working, 2 are dead and 1 is cycling. 1 seems to actually be bright as it should.

4 are gonna be removed this year and if all goes well, they're gonna be mine (though i'll just be taking out the gear and scrapping the actual lantern because of space constraints, unless someone wants generic philips lanterns... Gotta figure something out. They're horribly itchy glass fibre reinforced Philips thingies covered in algae/weathering. 2 ballasts will be used to drive the Eye Iwasaki clear MV lamps.
I might crack one open to get a better look at the arc tube. Without power, of course, i don't wanna get arc eye.

What'll happen to the parking lot lighting, i don't know. No clue if that's included in our building renovation. Those are actually more interesting lanterns.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 05:38:26 PM by Laurens » Logged
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 05:20:37 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I’ve got two interesting examples, but for some reason my phone, or the gallery won’t let me attach them??? :wndr:

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Philips tigkas

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 05:22:13 AM » Author: Philips tigkas
Have you tried from an other device?

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #11 on: February 24, 2024, 12:44:04 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Success!, but I’ve had to tap into our home wifi to get the photos up!
Anyhow, how bout these two interesting specimens?

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Philips tigkas

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #12 on: February 24, 2024, 12:46:21 PM » Author: Philips tigkas
O my!!!! :o   

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #13 on: February 24, 2024, 12:51:27 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Both from my old workplace, both run horizontally and left in until electrical wear out!

Philips tigkas

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulbs with black arc tubes « Reply #14 on: February 24, 2024, 12:53:57 PM » Author: Philips tigkas
That’s a pity  :(

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies