Author Topic: Wanted: Philips SRM / SRP Bowl (Canadian SRM's Exist)  (Read 1166 times)
ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

Wanted: Philips SRM / SRP Bowl (Canadian SRM's Exist) « on: May 23, 2023, 02:15:51 AM » Author: ElectroLite
Hey everyone,

I recently got my hands on a previously unheard of Canadian Philips SRM. It is 90w surprisingly, with the ballast in the canopy much like the later Philips MA series fixtures. Only issue is it was taken down during a windstorm, which caused the bowl to fly off, hitting the ground and shattering. Bleh. So much for one of a kind.

I am hoping to fix this with someone's help. It takes the same bowl as a LONG SRM, with three latches. A bowl off a 180w SRP would work too. I'm hoping some members based in Belgium or the Netherlands may have a spare, or could put me in contact with someone who might have a spare. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks everyone, please PM me if you can help in some way. I'd love to fix up this fixture to showcase here and add to the long list of Canadian SOX history.

RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: Philips SRM / SRP Bowl (Canadian SRM's Exist) « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 03:11:39 PM » Author: RadiantMV
I remember you were telling me about these things and how rare they are. Great to see that you finally got your hands on whats possibly the rarest canadian fixture in existence.
ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: Philips SRM / SRP Bowl (Canadian SRM's Exist) « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 07:02:36 PM » Author: ElectroLite
Yeah, just sucks the bowl got smashed. I highly doubt I'll find another one without bringing home another complete SRP fixture... and as you know even that's a long shot. Hopefully someday it'll happen.

I'll get some pictures of this eventually, it's currently sitting on the floor of my garage. Oh yeah, a bit more trivia, Philips Canada also sold Remote Ballasted SRMs here (basically identical to the European ones, saw one last summer but it got trashed) as well as SDP span wire fixtures. There's an install of 180w ones not too far from me that were abandoned in '85, but the bowls are totally smashed to nothing.
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: Philips SRM / SRP Bowl (Canadian SRM's Exist) « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 09:01:13 PM » Author: RadiantMV
Since SOX fixture bowls are made of plastic, I doubt it would be too difficult to get an exact replica/reproduction made. To my knowledge there are quite a few companies that make custom plastic products.
ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: Philips SRM / SRP Bowl (Canadian SRM's Exist) « Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 10:31:08 PM » Author: ElectroLite
You absolutely could, but the astronomical cost of getting a 3D Scan done or remaking the thing in CAD, then making an injection mold then molding it would be through the roof. All these old bowls were injection molded, where the molds were designed to make tens of thousands of identical copies thus making the cost worth it. For just one it would likely be easier to just find another one.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Wanted: Philips SRM / SRP Bowl (Canadian SRM's Exist) « Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 08:53:44 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, with simpler bowl designs such as the one on my Beta 6, you can get away with thermoforming a sheet of acrylic with a suitable mold using a vacuum former which while expensive is much cheaper than a the tooling for a full injection mold.

Unfortunately all the of the Philips bowl designs I've seen are complex enough that you probably need to injection mold them, I could be wrong, maybe the bowl design can be simplified to thermoform. You will need to make a new CAD model of said redesigned bowl though.

I suppose you could attempt to 3D print using a clear material but the size of the bowl and the UV and heat resistance required as well as longevity would be an issue. It also won't look exactly like the OEM bowl and you'll still need a decent model of the bowl so you'll have to remake it in CAD or 3D scan a intact one.
exexcollega

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: Philips SRM / SRP Bowl (Canadian SRM's Exist) « Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 03:31:36 PM » Author: exexcollega
I have 4 180W SRM's but sending them transatlantic is a pain in the behind. Not sure if it is worth the risk tbh.
ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: Philips SRM / SRP Bowl (Canadian SRM's Exist) « Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 10:46:12 PM » Author: ElectroLite
Bumping this post as I am very much still on the lookout. Any bowl off an SRM or SRP would work. Thanks everyone.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Wanted: Philips SRM / SRP Bowl (Canadian SRM's Exist) « Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 04:09:38 PM » Author: lights*plus
I recently had someone make me a 3D part for the fragile Goldfinger I cover. I described it via a 2D diagram, sent him some pics, and he 3D designed it and printed a short part that screws into the fixture. It's being shipped, should have in a few days. Not expensive since I'm only printing 8cm.

Need to say that I could then get (or make) a transparent tube to fit over that 8 cm printed part. A tube with the correct diameter can actually be found on ebay: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/304564765759

So you might be able to find a similar tube & carefully cut it in half. But this will be a much more difficult job to attach to any 3D printed latch area/part (or is it?).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 02:40:36 AM by lights*plus » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies