Author Topic: Kiosk Only ???  (Read 2111 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #30 on: August 21, 2023, 10:55:16 PM » Author: Cole D.
TBH, I sometimes like to use the kiosk in order to see all the customizations available for a certain item that usually isn't shown on the menuboard at the counter and I also find it easier if I have to make some customizations on a meal to use the kiosk. 

As for stores, if the cashiers are free or only have a couple of people I'll line up there but if the self checkout is open and I'm only buying a handful of things, I'll opt for that to save time. Especially with stores like Value Village, sometimes I'll only have a single lamp to buy so using the self checkout is a lot faster compared to lining up and getting stuck behind a couple of people with a full cart load of clothing.

Yeah, I like the kiosk at Taco Bell for this especially… you can customize each item you order for how much veggies, ranch, beans, etc you want or if you don’t want any. It’s quite useful. :)

IMO the kiosks at McDonalds are terrible, very non-touch sensitive and can be confusing. Also it forces you to input a table number and take one even though there are times McDonalds does not being the order to the table.

They’ve gotten better about doing so but once I ordered on the kiosk and went to the table and they didn’t bring my order so I went to the counter and it was sitting there. They looked at me like I had 3 heads, so I don’t trust them now and just wait on it instead.

At Lowes this weekend there were no regular lanes open yet there were two employees helping out at the self checkouts instead of only one. Not sure why.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #31 on: August 21, 2023, 11:02:14 PM » Author: Cole D.
Is this maybe why nearly all self checkouts here now film you as your putting your stuff through?
Although me and Jo walked out of our local Morrisons yesterday lunch time and set all the door alarm’s off, (we had paid for everything and had the receipt to prove it), but even then, not one of the security came after us???

I cannot stand the self checkouts at Walmart now! They’ve gone to the filming and I’ve had it lock up 3 times now and the attendant has to come unlock it. When they first did it the attendant accused me of trying to scan just one item and I showed that everything in the bag was on the list. 🙄 Now the last two times they just clear it out and barely bother to watch the “instant replay.” Sorry but I’ve got better things to do than steal from Walmart…

They as of a couple months ago have gotten new checkout stations that are terribly insensitive on the touchscreen, you have to press hard and just the right spot or it won’t accept an input!

They do have receipt checkers at each door but they only care to do a check for large or unbagged items. Otherwise they just waive thru unless you purposely stop for a check and even then they just half glance at your receipt and say have a good day. I don’t stop for a check unless I have unbagged items anymore. That’s the Only time they seem interested in checking is if there’s large items or sodas, etc.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 11:04:32 PM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #32 on: August 22, 2023, 07:50:17 AM » Author: rjluna2
I use self check-out at Publix and Kroger all the time :)

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #33 on: August 22, 2023, 08:59:14 AM » Author: Rommie
I just don't like them. I prefer to interact with people, not a computer.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #34 on: August 27, 2023, 04:05:46 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Not an option at our biggest Morrisons out of town, they closed 80% of the ‘people’ checkouts and removed them completely for CCTV self checkouts for full trolly shops!  :poof:
The British surveillance state is well at truly in affect now!, even Lidl in our town has CCTV that profiles you as you walk in, with a big TV screen on the wall that shows you your image with the little yellow box around your face just to remind you your being watched!
Just incase us working class plebs think for a second about shoplifting!  :police:

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #35 on: August 27, 2023, 09:49:52 AM » Author: joseph_125
TBH, I kind of find the excess use of CCTV on some of the self checkouts to be rather invasive, same goes for stuff such as having a guard at the exit perform item and receipt checks. Rather use a staffed checkout at that point. The receipt checks are annoying too, especially when you already seen me scan and pay for the single item I was buying.

Apparently outside of places such as Costco where you consented to receipt checks as part of your membership agreement, stores can't really enforce them (and open themselves to liability if they attempt to prevent you from leaving) and you're free to walk away.

Another thing I noticed are the security gates enforcing one way traffic into and out of the stores that have sprung up recently to curb shoplifting, they really shoehorned them in and it's clear the store layout was not originally designed for them with how awkward the flow of traffic is now. Probably spent more installing all that junk than what they'd make back deterring shoplifters IMO.

Having only half the self checkouts open seem to be another common thing here, I suppose it's due to staffing issues but it's pretty annoying when you opt for self checkout to save time, only to be confronted with a long lineup because half the self checkouts are "closed". ::)

@Cole D, seems like the kiosks at McDonalds here are better, they tried the table number stuff here too but they changed back to the order number system where you wait for your order number to be called at the pickup counter. Much better for a place like McDonalds IMO.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 10:18:38 AM by joseph_125 » Logged
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #36 on: August 27, 2023, 10:32:34 AM » Author: rjluna2
At the other day, I went to my local Target store and found they have expanded self-checkout kiosk there.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #37 on: August 27, 2023, 11:15:28 AM » Author: Rommie
Not an option at our biggest Morrisons out of town, they closed 80% of the ‘people’ checkouts and removed them completely for CCTV self checkouts for full trolly shops!  :poof:
The British surveillance state is well at truly in affect now!, even Lidl in our town has CCTV that profiles you as you walk in, with a big TV screen on the wall that shows you your image with the little yellow box around your face just to remind you your being watched!
Just incase us working class plebs think for a second about shoplifting!
  :police:
We've boycotted the Morrisons here, even though it's our closest stupid market because of the lack of staffed checkouts and how they refused to open one to help a little old lady who couldn't work the self-checkout. Remind me never to go to Lidl.

Incidentally, we get most of our stuff delivered from Tesco these days.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #38 on: August 27, 2023, 04:26:41 PM » Author: Cole D.
@joseph_125

Walmart here installed those security gates, they only kept them for about a year or so and then they were gone.

They were always going off with people trying to exit through them.

What a waste of money.

I remember a store years ago, maybe the old Eckerd Drug stores, having chrome turnstiles at the entrance that would only allow one way traffic.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies