Author Topic: Kiosk Only ???  (Read 2122 times)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #15 on: August 07, 2023, 03:00:47 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Lol if you think this is bad, some supermarket chains in the UK are trialing ‘staffless’ stores, where to enter and shop for your groceries, you need an app on your phone!
The next thing that’s coming is ‘pay per mile’ driving that will slowly transverse from the ULEZ scheme!

Welcome to your new dystopia life!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #16 on: August 07, 2023, 08:39:14 AM » Author: Rommie
Well we don't have 'smart' phones here, so nothing to put an 'app' on, so that's us screwed  :sadbulb:

This 'pay per mile' thing is what's really scaring me though, you'll be needing to buy 'carbon credits' to walk along the street before long. It's only coming in in London so far, but how long before it's everywhere..? We've already got a LEZ (Low Emission Zone) coming in here, with the minimum fee starting at £60 and doubling for each repeat offence, so you lot down south who are grumbling about £15-£20 or so or whatever it is in Englandshire, come up here..!  :poof:

All this is making me increasingly glad I'm getting old and won't have to put up with it for much longer, well unless I live to 100 of course  :poof:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #17 on: August 07, 2023, 10:17:29 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I believe it’s also already in Manchester, Birmingham and Oxford too?, and although I work for a large car retail company, I actually half agree with it, not the ‘pay per mile’ bit, but reducing car use a bit!
Yes, I’m a driver myself but there’s far too many people driving in the UK, and far too many cars on the road today!
Me and the wife both work in different towns, but my commute is only 10 miles there and back from work each day, so since the beginning of June I have been cycling there!

This saves us having a car each and all the costs that come with this!
Oddly enough, to commute to work in car, in rush hour takes me 25 minutes, I can cycle this same distance, without stopping in traffic, at traffic lights, or on busy roundabouts in 35!, not bad for an out of shape, slightly overweight 51 year old!, so it’s not worth wasting petrol on!

Yeah I’ve been caught in heavy downpours and wind, but this is part of the fun of cycling!  :lol:
I just wish Cheshire had more cycling infrastructure like the kind they have in Oulu Finland  8)

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #18 on: August 07, 2023, 12:01:07 PM » Author: Rommie
Reducing car use..? Listen you lot, having paid thousands for the thing and thousands more for the insurance, tax and fuel, you think I'm going to leave it at home and not drive it..? I didn't buy it not to drive it  ::)

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #19 on: August 07, 2023, 01:18:02 PM » Author: AngryHorse
 :lol: I mean from a work commuting view, (your exempt having retired), there’s plenty of young fit people out there that live a few miles from work but still drive  :o
Maybe try a bit of human engine power to get to work and back?, just save the car for long journeys and shopping trips?  8;)

Welcome to OBLIVION

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #20 on: August 08, 2023, 01:02:09 AM » Author: joseph_125
To be honest, on nice days and if I got the time, I'll usually opt to walk or cycle to closer destinations (4-5km walk or 7-10 km cycling) over taking the car in order to get some more exercise. The main issue with cycling over here is that there aren't that many properly built cycling lanes in my area so that limits the destinations I can go without having to ride in mixed traffic. The other main issue is that even in the places that have proper cycle tracks, they're no really cleared during the winter. There's usually room in the overall right of way to add a cycle track on most roads here without reducing car lanes and I've seen them slowly retrofit some to existing main roads.

Now I think the whole idea of paying per mile and stuff like that to be pretty silly. Better off improving cycle lanes, sidewalks, public transport if they want to disincentivize car use by making the other options more attractive. 
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #21 on: August 08, 2023, 02:54:18 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Oh the UK is currently going on an all out war towards the motorist!, but I agree with what you say about cycling lanes!, although Canada is way ahead of us in that respect  8), places like Calgary and Montreal have got pretty good cycling infrastructure from what I have seen.
We have only one cycle Lane on my route to and from work which is really good, (although it’s only a painted one)!

The problem with Cheshire are the roads are just not wide enough like the ones you guys have in North America, most of our roads in our town are just tarmac over the old cobble stone from the early 1900s!, theres a lot of wasted space taken up by hedgerows and grass verges still in Cheshire that could be made into pedestrian and cycling lanes, but there isn’t much of a will to do it in car obsessed Britain at the minute!  :-\
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 03:03:57 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Welcome to OBLIVION

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #22 on: August 17, 2023, 03:37:27 AM » Author: Richmond2000
there are reports that the self checkout is actually COSTING the stores MORE money then tellers cost due to higher theft and mistakes made and there are stores "rolling back" the kiosks but are having a MAJOR staffing issue to GET enough cashiers to allow them to go that way
a chain of hypermarts in my town advertises that EVERY cash register is open all day sat-sun and had to retract that as they CAN NOT do it due to lack of employees
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #23 on: August 20, 2023, 04:18:15 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Is this maybe why nearly all self checkouts here now film you as your putting your stuff through?
Although me and Jo walked out of our local Morrisons yesterday lunch time and set all the door alarm’s off, (we had paid for everything and had the receipt to prove it), but even then, not one of the security came after us???

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #24 on: August 20, 2023, 01:03:10 PM » Author: Rommie
Film..? 16 or 35mm..?  :mrg:

I'll get me coat...

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #25 on: August 20, 2023, 01:20:46 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 70mm Imax !  :mrg:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #26 on: August 20, 2023, 02:08:31 PM » Author: joseph_125
Now that would be funny to see, anyway I snapped a picture of one of those "delivery driver" only Wendys trailers I mentioned in a previous comment. I suppose it lets then save on rent and staffing costs but it seems to be a overall bad experience if you live within walking distance to it as they don't take walk up orders, and only serve as a pickup point for those food delivery "app" drivers such as Uber, Skip, Doordash.

Don't think you can prepay online and pick it up yourself too to save on the delivery charges and tips too. ::)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #27 on: August 20, 2023, 04:24:00 PM » Author: Rommie
We get those stupid little delivery bikes around here, they're electric but have pedals, and somehow they seem to have escaped the licensing people and whiz about all over the place totally disregarding road laws; one nearly came close to death yesterday as I was reversing into my parking space, I never saw or heard him at all, stupid little [insert expletive of choice]  :curse:  Of course if I'd hit him, it would have been my fault  ::)

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #28 on: August 20, 2023, 08:57:25 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah as you can see we have them over here too. Normally they're also wearing these large cube shaped backpacks so you can tell them from afar. Since they're technically considered "electric bicycles" like the more bicycle style e-bikes, you don't need a license, number plate, or insurance for these so the delivery drivers love them. Yeah a number of them over here ride with a total disregard for road rules, or on the sidewalk in a crowded area and switch when they feel like it. There are also the stand up scooters but those seem to be mostly privately owned for personal transport instead of for deliveries.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #29 on: August 20, 2023, 11:12:59 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I recently got behind a guy riding a normal bike in the middle of the lane ! I was stuck behind him running only 20 mph in a 45 for a couple of miles before he finally turned onto a side street ! :curse: 

If you can't keep up with the speed of traffic , GET OUT OF THE WAY ! :curse: :curse: :curse:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies