Author Topic: Kiosk Only ???  (Read 2115 times)
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Kiosk Only ??? « on: August 05, 2023, 05:58:41 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Has anyone else ran into stores/restuarants that are ran by kiosk only ?   I've noticed a few popping up around here. Mcdonalds and Home Repo have them but will help you if you stand a the counter for a second or 2 . Most of the Taco Bell & Steak&Shake restuarants here are Kiosk ONLY ! One Taco Bell employee saw me standing at the counter , asked "what do you need ?" I said i needed to place an order . She told me " Use the Kiosk !" and walked away !!!  :poof: 

I told her "NOPE !!!" and walked out the door !!  :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:

I've said it before and I'll say it again , I will NOT do their job for them unless a significant discount is involved !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 07:17:08 PM » Author: Rommie
Don't they realise it's only a matter of time before they too are replaced by a kiosk or something similar..? ::)  :(

The world has gone to hell in a handbasket, I'm almost glad I'm getting old and won't have to live in it for much longer  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 07:26:31 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I they want to play that game , they can keep their food !! I'll either go somewhere else or learn how to cook !!

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 09:58:37 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
The food court at my local Costco has both a kiosk and a counter. I personally prefer the kiosk because I can avoid the long, busy lines of people waiting to order.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 11:40:26 PM » Author: joseph_125
Most fast food chains here have a couple of kiosks and a counter for ordering which is fine in my opinion. However the strangest is the "Percy" kiosk used by some locations of FreshII here. Instead of being a kiosk that's self service, this kiosk connects you via video call to a worker in a call centre who will take your order and relay the order to the kitchen. Seems to be the worst of both worlds, IMO you still have to install a kiosk and customers still interact with a kiosk in the store but you also have to pay the service to use their call centre. Now apparently it's cheaper than local staff as the call centre employees are physically located in a country with lower pay but still something you have to pay for compared to a standard kiosk.

The Costco food court that I usually go is completely separate from the main part of the warehouse and requires no membership check. Anyway they have a few kiosks and a single counter.

Another one I've seen around are "Ghost Kitchens" basically a kitchen that prepares meals under license from several fast food brands. Some are intended only as pick up points for food delivery app drivers (eg Uber, Skip, DoorDash) while some have a kiosk at the front for walk-in orders and a small waiting area or have a app for ordering. 
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 11:47:16 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I just can't wrap my head around the stupid kiosks as it seems (for me anyways) to make it much more difficult to make a "special order"  (my fav is a McDonald's Filet-O-Fish with extra chese , no tarter on a toasted instead of mushy steamed bun !)

The kiosk will screw that one up almost everytime requiring a actual worker to enter it correctly at the counter anyways !

All I can say is that the call center kiosks sound like the DUMBEST THING I EVER HEARD OF !

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 12:16:07 AM » Author: Econolite03
Lowe’s around here has tried to go cashierless with a heavy emphasis on self-checkout. Occasionally they’ll have one manned register but even that is coming far and few.

It’s okay for quick trips for like a sprinkler part or something, but if you’re buying lumber or other odd or bulky it can be a hassle.

Most national fast food joints here are trying to phase out cashiers too, the only places that have not are regional chains like In-N-Out which is pretty old school.

Now on Linktree

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 06:24:56 AM » Author: dor123
Here in Israel, Burger Ranch, McDonalds, KFC and other fast food restaurant have kiosks in additional to the counter, and I usually uses the kiosk because all of the food is displayed on the kiosk touch screen.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #8 on: August 06, 2023, 11:42:54 AM » Author: Cole D.
Taco Bell here is a lot kiosk but will take your order in person  if they have time. McDonalds does both but with a lot have of the remodels are going to kiosk only.

All the other places here don’t have kiosks.

A few weeks ago all the Dollar Generals have replaced one checkout with a self checkout, but they never had more than one open anyway.

Usually Home Depot or Lowe’s have a regular line open but I usually use the self checkout unless I think it’s going to be problematic.

None of the supermarkets around here have self checkouts at all.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #9 on: August 06, 2023, 11:50:24 AM » Author: rjluna2
Due to my disablity (hearing impaired), I like kiosk better :) Taco Bell has set one up at my area.  I would select whatever I like and sometimes I charge it or cash them.  That way it reduces mis-ordering process.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 12:45:07 PM » Author: Rommie
That's fair enough, but you should pay less than when you're being served by somebody. I refuse to do their job for them and still have to pay full price  >:(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #11 on: August 06, 2023, 12:47:14 PM » Author: joseph_125
TBH, I sometimes like to use the kiosk in order to see all the customizations available for a certain item that usually isn't shown on the menuboard at the counter and I also find it easier if I have to make some customizations on a meal to use the kiosk. 

As for stores, if the cashiers are free or only have a couple of people I'll line up there but if the self checkout is open and I'm only buying a handful of things, I'll opt for that to save time. Especially with stores like Value Village, sometimes I'll only have a single lamp to buy so using the self checkout is a lot faster compared to lining up and getting stuck behind a couple of people with a full cart load of clothing.

That said the call center kiosks are probably something I'll never use, I'll use a regular kiosk or an app before I use one of those TBH. I'm guessing a tech startup company came up with it and is probably running on venture capital money. 

@Rommie - You do have a point as it's cheaper to order the same meal for take out compared to dine in at a sit down restaurant. I suppose a 5-10% self checkout discount would be nice but I'm gonna guess the companies are too cheap to have it. I know some restaurants will give you a small discount for ordering takeout online though.

At least they don't charge extra for "convenience" like with tickets to events or attractions. A lot like to charge a "convenience" fee for buying your tickets online but some events don't even have a box office to buy tickets at so it's pretty much a tacked on fee. ::)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 01:03:44 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #12 on: August 06, 2023, 04:22:07 PM » Author: marcopete87
Some fast food and a big blue-yellow furniture brand, but not a big issue: people were moved to other position (cooking) in the restaurants.
However, as someone who (really) hate to talk with customers (one time was one of the reasons for my quit), i appreciate that approach: as customer, you are going to see what you are ordering, so you can't pester worker and waste other customers time because your "wrong order" or "misunderstanding" issues in a chaotic environment.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #13 on: August 06, 2023, 08:22:18 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Went grocery shopping today . The store has 12 checkouts : 3 were closed , 2 were full service and the remaining 7 were self checkouts !

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Kiosk Only ??? « Reply #14 on: August 07, 2023, 12:51:49 AM » Author: Econolite03
Sounds like the average Kroger.

Now on Linktree

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies