Author Topic: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp  (Read 2167 times)
Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « on: August 22, 2023, 11:32:48 AM » Author: Robotjulep
I have recently got a GE m-400 A2 power-door cobrahead from the salvage, but unfortunately, it was missing its glass bowl lens and ballast. I wonder if this AEL one on eBay will fit: https://rb.gy/rzhrd

Also, I am not sure how to mount a 400w ballast on the power door. If anyone is able to help thanks in advance!

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 01:33:02 PM » Author: Burrito
First things first: this is an M400A with the two extra slots to the sides of the GE logo.
Second: there are lenses if you search "ge street light" on eBay (Well at least one that i found).
What type of ballast was this fixture originally? was it mercury converted to HPS or just mercury?
power modules for these fixtures have specific mounting holes so you wouldn't be able to fit a standard CWA ballast kit (such as those Advance ballasts).

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 02:20:29 PM » Author: Robotjulep
It was an h33 400w mercury vapor according to the door tag labeling. Does it mean this street light will only fit an OEM General Electric ballast? Or is it possible to make a custom bracket that will fit a Sylvania 400w HPS CWA ballast on the door?

I collect:
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 02:21:45 PM » Author: Burrito
Yeah sadly you'd have to find an OEM GE ballast.
If you have the original ballast bracket inside the fixture then this should fit you https://www.ebay.com/itm/175535126809
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 02:23:51 PM by Burrito » Logged

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 04:45:55 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
You can install any ballast in there. All you need to do is make your own brackets. Plus , most aftermarket ballasts come with universal mounting brackets .

You DO NOT need an OEM ballast unless that's specifically what you want .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 05:11:01 PM » Author: Econolite03
That refractor in the listing should work.

Ballast wise wide-lite pretty much summed it up. I have a Sylvania ballast kit in my R2 and it uses their universal mounting brackets no problem, but you can always find a GE one if you want to be OEM.

Now on Linktree

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 09:27:42 PM » Author: joseph_125
This H33 Advance should work, it even has the flat brackets for installation into GE Powr/Doors, see here for a picture of them in a GE Powr/Door. OEM is nice but unless you wanted OEM for originality reasons, the Advance kit should work with the alternate set of brackets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/131718128695
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 09:28:18 PM » Author: Burrito
OH YEAH! i forgot that Advance made those

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #8 on: August 22, 2023, 09:30:43 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, it doesn't seem to be well documented on the internet but I believe 250w HPS, 400w HPS, 400w MH, and 400w MV Advance kits came with a set of those GE brackets. I believe it was mentioned in the printed instruction manual but I don't think a copy of that exists on the internet. Might scan one of mine when I have time.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #9 on: August 22, 2023, 09:31:35 PM » Author: Burrito
I've got the instructions to a 175 watt MH Advance kit and it did show those brackets

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #10 on: August 23, 2023, 06:21:22 PM » Author: Robotjulep
Thank you all for the information everyone! I have already mounted the ballast and it was very tricky doing so but it works great. Ideally, if I had 400w mercury vapor gear, I would install that in the fixture. Instead, I have 400w HPS gear instead so I will use that. As far as getting a new lens/refractor, I'll have to save up money to get that, probably near the end of the year or so I will have fixed this light. By the time it is fixed, I'll probably upload it on LG as a collage.

On a side note, I wonder what makes this luminaire a GE M400A instead of a GE M400A2 besides the vent holes beneath the logo. Could it be the latch was of a different design than the M400A2? Or could it be the reflector bowl shape?

I collect:
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #11 on: August 23, 2023, 06:23:45 PM » Author: Burrito
The vents on the power door, the latch being a thumb latch rather than a hook-bail latch and the presence of the slipfitter bolts sticking out of the top. The photocontrol is also moved back while the A2 has no vents on the power module and there is no bolts on the top and the photocontrol is moved forward.

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #12 on: August 23, 2023, 06:27:40 PM » Author: Robotjulep
I wonder why GE changed the design of their latches.

I collect:
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #13 on: August 23, 2023, 06:28:28 PM » Author: Burrito
Probably to make it easier for the person to use and less likely to corrode and break

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finding the correct lens for a 1970s GE m-400 A2 Power-door street lamp « Reply #14 on: August 23, 2023, 06:35:07 PM » Author: Robotjulep
Another street light I got confused with was the AEL-125 and the GE M400R3. I later found out that the difference was simply the latch and the AEL was slimmer. I bet they used the same lens though.

I collect:
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies