Author Topic: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day?  (Read 963 times)
Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « on: December 21, 2023, 07:16:36 PM » Author: Lcubed3
When my dad built our addition in 2006-2011, he put only incandescent lamps in because they were cheaper to buy at the time. 10 years later, most of the fixtures (65 in total) still burn incandescent/tungsten lamps daily.

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 07:57:35 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Virtually none . With the cost of electric , I can't afford to run incandescent . Besides , when I was still using them , I quickly tired of having to frequently replace the D2D ones !  I was getting about 2-3 months life from the 2-60w bulbs in my old porch lights ! I now get 2-3 years or more with the LEDs .

I do have a 100w incan. and a 250w heatlight which I use during the winter to keep parts of my water system from freezing .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 10:24:13 PM » Author: HIDLad001
It's the same for me. I use LED for most general service applications, and for economical non-LED lighting, I use PL and linear fluorescent extensively.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 11:41:14 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
None. I've got LED in nearly all the lights in the house apart from the light above the kitchen bar that still has four 50W MR16 halogen lamps on the tracks and a G9 capsule in the enclosed center light. Those seldom see use.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 12:02:33 AM » Author: Maxim
Sounds unfortunate, but about 90%. Though, as the Sylvania LED A19 snowcones burn out I swap them with either glass filament LEDs or NOS incandescents.

Though, anything D2D'ing is LED (plus one halogen, that thing has been in service for YEARS now). Though, my main room is currently lit by F20T12 linear fluorescent and 160W SBMV, if that helps my case...  8;)

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 01:37:23 AM » Author: HIDLad001
I also forgot to mention that I use ceramic metal halide as well.
Short warm up times, good light output, exceptional CRI and nice bright colors are all good things about them. The warm up time and ballast losses are even lower if used on an electronic ballast.
Currently have a pair of protected and coated Philips 930 Mastercolor lamps, and they do an awesome job for both direct and indirect lighting.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 09:54:25 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I have one in front door and another in sauna and.... that's about it. Rest is either LED or fluorescent.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 11:53:12 AM » Author: RRK
No incandescents left for general lighting, LEDs and metal halides in use, color MH and color CFL for fun. But I often use incandescent lamps as a dummy load for power electronics.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 01:52:09 PM » Author: Medved
At my home where I live since 2001 I never used any incandescents, before that at my parent home incandescents were since 90's only in the restroom. Because incandescents were violently exploding and flying glass shards around on us at the EOL all the time I remember, did not want to have that at home.

No more selfballasted c***

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #9 on: December 22, 2023, 03:31:24 PM » Author: icefoglights
My house is primarily lit with either LED or linear fluorescent lights.  I have one mogul lamp in daily use that is still incandescent.  Also, the ceiling lights in both the upstairs and downstairs hallways are incandescent, but those don't get used too often.  Finally, the lights up in the attic, and one pull chain light in the crawlspace are incandescent, but those rarely get used.

On a side note, I have one single pull chain fixture under the stairs that still has a CFL in it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 10:52:13 PM by icefoglights » Logged

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #10 on: December 22, 2023, 07:14:12 PM » Author: Rommie
Ok, in the Rommie/Mandolin Girl household, it's as follows:

Bedroom - 1 x 40W in a ceiling pendant, 1 x 60W in a clip-on lamp over the floor-standing mirror and 2 x 6W T5 fluorescents as reading lamps over the bed.
Hall - 1 42W halogen
Hall Cupboard 1 - 40W incandescent
Hall Cupboard 2 - 16W 2D fluorescent
Bathroom - 28W 2D fluorescent
Kitchen - 28W 2D fluorescent
Living Room - 1 x 10W 2D in a pendant with adaptor, 1 x 40W incandescent, 1 x 25W incandescent in a floor lamp, 1 x 15W incandescent in the other floor lamp, but those are only used as 'mood' lighting, not for general illumination, we use Gemma, our 35W Beta 5 SOX fitting for that  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 07:21:55 PM » Author: Molly
My mom bought so many of them over the years now we have boxes of them in one of our storage closets. They're not used but still work. For our house, we use mostly LED ane some CFLs. I use an incandescent heat bulb for my lizard though.

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #12 on: December 23, 2023, 05:43:19 PM » Author: Laurens
Two.

There's one in a closet and one in the attic. They run minutes per day at most, so their electricity consumption is negligible. I have plenty of old, half-used e14 bulbs to put into those fixtures if they ever break.
My christmas lights are incandescent too, and will be until we get colored plastic sleeves to put over warm white LEDs. And of course the dim bulb tester for old electronics.

The rest of the house is almost exclusively LED since they got indistinguishable from incandescent (except when looking through a spectroscope). There's a CFL in the bathroom that just won't die despite quite a few on-off cycles a day, but that's a name brand Philips or Osram one, with good color rendering too.

My bed room/workshop (combined... long story) was the last room to be lit by a 60w bulb that i screwed in there, when the CFL i had previously died and just grabbed something from the box of bulbs. 100w would've been nicer light wise, but would rack up quite the cost and be scorching hot on the already hot summer nights. Switched it out for a 9w 800lm LED bulb and finally i had the bright light i always longed for.
Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #13 on: December 23, 2023, 07:35:00 PM » Author: Lcubed3
I should mention that the other two sections of our house are LED  :mrg:

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: How many incandescent lamps do you use day-to-day? « Reply #14 on: December 25, 2023, 01:11:36 PM » Author: Richmond2000
have one incandescent in service and it is in a wall sconce in the stairwell to the boiler room and not really accessible easily
rest is almost all PL-S 13 CFL and 2 induction lamps in the lounge rooms
one LED fixture in a bedroom and a LED globe in the front door light that has run non stop since 2018 +/- old home no switch 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies