Author Topic: gear in lantern or not.  (Read 4170 times)
Raphael

View Posts
View Gallery

gear in lantern or not. « on: November 29, 2006, 03:48:44 PM » Author: Raphael
What's better?
To have the gear in the lantern or in the post?
For example the LPS.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: gear in lantern or not. « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 10:32:40 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
I would say BOTH.....in USA...the older installations was on the pole or in a "paint can" and those fixtures would be clamshells, or a Merc radial wave or merc gumballs......

but today fixtures are Cobraheads with gear inside the fixtures
we also have "RETRO" gumballs with gear INSIDE...back then merc gumballs would have gear outside

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

dp
Re: gear in lantern or not. « Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 12:43:53 PM » Author: dp
In the UK, there are some very nice lanters with external gear, and there are very few lanterns whith internal gear which are nice. I think it is because the older control gear is more bulky and an old internal gear lantern looks more bulky like the Revo Lucidor B top\side entry lantern.
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: gear in lantern or not. « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 07:57:29 PM » Author: prawnman88
i likr it when the bulbs up top and the ballast is in the base of the pole makes my job alot easier
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: gear in lantern or not. « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 06:45:54 PM » Author: don93s
A ballast and cap/igniter operating inside fixture with lamp will run much hotter than if it is remote mounted in many cases. I would think that ballast life expectancy would be longer if mounted outside...as long as moisture doesn't get to it.
Powergroove

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: gear in lantern or not. « Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 07:39:39 PM » Author: Powergroove
I would agree that the gear would run hotter and might not last as long inside the lantern. However my preference is to have the gear in the lantern.

Keep government out of the lighting industry.

lightboy90

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: gear in lantern or not. « Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 06:12:50 AM » Author: lightboy90
I think it's better when the gear is in the lantern. But, I never saw a lantern where the gear is in the post, because in Austria SOX lighting is very very rare.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies