Author Topic: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light?  (Read 6337 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « on: January 13, 2007, 03:29:36 AM » Author: Silverliner
In areas that are totally lit by HPS, how would you react when you unexpectedly see a merc miss out? I sometimes take them by surprise and think how cool they are. The other night I saw the merc in Fremont, CA which I have NEVER noticed before even tho I went by many times, I had to pull over and take a pic!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

AE125Series
Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 09:58:31 AM » Author: AE125Series
I was amazed after I discovered two mercury vapor lights still in service in the city of Pittsburgh. As a matter a fact, there was a 150 watt high pressure sodium light replaced with a 175 watt mercury vapor one! ;D

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 12:54:14 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
you all know that one of the post top was changed from HPS to Merc near my hose.........

Well guess what....while Jeremiah was visiting....I found another post top that was replaced BACK to a merc from HPS about 3 blocks away!!!! That light was supposed to be a merc but a car hit the old merc and they replaced the pole and fixture into HPS.......then a year later or so it began cycling and I knew it was SUPPOSED to be a merc and hoped they would fix it to a merc....well guess what...they removed the HPS ballast and put a merc ballast!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:03:58 PM » Author: prawnman88
well here in arizona i treat them as if i found something rare and do a  :o
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 06:12:32 PM » Author: Silverliner
Around here in Southern California, in some areas mercs are pretty easy to come by! I still treat them as a rare find these days tho.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

AE125Series
Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 11:58:48 PM » Author: AE125Series
I found a few mercs in communities like Etna, Millvale, O'hara, Robinson and West Deer Twp. Those areas have 99% HPS lights, it's nice to see a leftover mercury vapor light for once.

If areas had more mercury vapor streetlights, the skies would be less polluted at night.
Augustine

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 02:15:22 AM » Author: Augustine
I found a Hg lamp finaly   ;D  I was driving east on US-90 over the Intracoastal waterway and finally noticed one.  The bridge is illuminated with all HPS except for one Hg lamp in the middle of them.  Right now that area is under construction and they are building a new bridge, my guess is that the new bridge will be all HPS lamps.
J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 11:20:26 AM » Author: J-Frog
When I see mercs I try and drive slowly by them or stop and look at them!  Around here if I hop over to Santa Clara they have a good number of mercs!

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 01:39:47 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
yeah ....Jeremiah missed out one detail....probably too embarrassed to say....but I'm gonna tell you guys.....

He RIBBITS and CROAKS when he sees one!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 01:41:32 PM » Author: J-Frog
yeah ....Jeremiah missed out one detail....probably too embarrassed to say....but I'm gonna tell you guys.....

He RIBBITS and CROAKS when he sees one!

That's nothing compared to what Jace the seagull does!  When he sees one he starts saying MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE!

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

dp
Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 01:42:14 PM » Author: dp
I react like my profile picture - shocked! But in a happy way though! There are still mercury streetlights in the UK but in small numbers and some of them do still gets installed and maintained (ie new mercury lamps or ballasts) but if the fixture fails they tend to get replaced by CFL or MH fixtures.

<------------SEE!
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 01:44:19 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Hey...good one DJ....

Frog...if that was the case...then I actually am saying Mine a million times! because it is impossible to unexpectly see a merc in BGE...but unexpectedly seeing a clamshell or even an incandescent gumball or sorts......that is a DIFFERENT STORY

prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 11:10:21 AM » Author: prawnman88
u know the other morning i was on the freeway driving into phoenix i was on the stack looking into phoeninx like a airplanne coming in for a landing anyhow all i saw was a sich looking pink glowing wasteland !!! man a little white here and there but mostly pink and it had a glow to it i remember back in the early 80's as a small kid in my early teens there seemed to be no glow sure phoenix has 50 times bigger now but mers seem to do alot better in the dark then hps but remember hps is alot better
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 04:43:46 PM » Author: FGS
I have found a lone merc fixture. (not the NEMA or the fakes ones) I think it is a GE M400 with a 400w Mercury.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How do you react when you find an unexpected merc street light? « Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 05:28:11 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
it would be cool if you took a pic of the lone merc during the day time......it's harder to do night....but to do night...ask Dave for suggestions...he seems to do a good job on the night pics!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies