Author Topic: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite?  (Read 13571 times)
seansy59

View Posts
View Gallery

I am OPEN for Lighting talk!

What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « on: December 31, 2010, 08:21:48 PM » Author: seansy59
I know many people have different likings, and am wondering.......what kind of fluorescents  do you like? Example: Magnetic rapid start, warm white bulbs, or maybe the electronic instant start with cool white bulbs? I will tell you that I like:

Bulbs:
1.Cool white
2.Daylight
3.Warm White

Ballasts:
1. I prefer magnetic, but it is hard to have that today, so, I like rapid start.
2. Preheat
3. Instant start

I like rapid start as it has a nice startup and powers the bulb to a higher factor than instant start, as rapid start also gives the best lamp life. Also, you don't need a starter for it.
Preheat is nice for lamp life too, and I like preheat too.
Instant start kinda kills the lamp sooner, and is very boring in startup.

So ;D What do you guys (or girls) like?  ::)

Rapid Start and Preheat fluorescent! No instant start!

close9
Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 08:54:44 AM » Author: close9
For me, it has to be T12 lamps on either an SRS or switchstart circuit.
Very old fashioned I am LOL. As as far as lamp colour goes, if I have to have a T5 or T8 lamp, it would have to be a colour 840 lamp.
For me, there is only one flourescent fitting which is King in terms of fixture... the Thorn popular pack from the late 70's to early 80's with the T12 lampholders. It has to be the light fitting which was designed perfect in almost every way!
SuperSix

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL P42STUFF supersix94
Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 03:10:21 PM » Author: SuperSix
The same for me, T12 tubes on Semi-Resonant Start circuits. 2nd choice for control gear type is tough, I'm not sure what I prefer out of Quickstart or Switchstart.

Favourite standard halophosphate colour is Natural (Universal White). Probably second from that would be Cool White (Daylight 4300K) followed by Daylight 6500K.

Favourite deluxe halophosphate colour would be Thorn °Kolorite or Philips Trucolor 38

Favourite triphosphor colour is definitely Cool White and second favourite is Daylight

Choosing a favourite fitting is a really tough choice! Probably the Atlas Superslim, I can't decide what would be second favourite though.

Atlas Lamps - Seeing Is Believing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/P42STUFF

Andy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 12:22:39 PM » Author: Andy
My favourite halophosphate fluorescent has to be colour 54 (6500k) which has a nice cool hint of blue, otherwise its triphosphor Daylight 6000 or 6500k.
Cool white and warm white are ok, but I just hate the pinky colour of 3500k lamps.

I'm always interested in exchanging lamps with others. Send me a message if you would be interested in a trade. :)

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 01:56:34 PM » Author: nogden
Depends. T12 is usually preferable over T8 or T5, but I'm starting to like T8 as well.

Ballast depends on the application, but I usually use magnetic rapid start or preheat. I've also started experimenting with T12 electronic and I like them so far! Shorter lamps, such as 2 foot and 3 foot, preheat only. I like the simplicity and reliability of instant start (mag or electronic), but don't like the reduced lamp life. I don't like electronic HF ballasts for T8 tubes because I have had terrible problems with radio interference. HF T12 doesn't seem to be a problem.

Tube color depends on what other color light is in the space. I always like to blend fluorescent light with other ambient light. If the lights are in a open, sky lit space, I like to use daylight or 5000K. For general office use, cool white. If the light is going to blend with incandescent, I use warm white, either halophosphate or triphosphor, depending on what I have. I definitely don't have a favorite fluoro color, it all depends on the space. All of my lamps at home are warm white or /830 to blend with incandescent.
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 10:01:48 AM » Author: DieselNut
6500K T12 lamps operated by a preheat/switchstart ballast, no doubt!
I also like other colors of lamps or a combination of colors, like a 4100K with two 6500K. 5000K is a nice color for general lighting too.
Of course I love colored lamps (true inside colored) and BLBs!
I also like older full power magnetic rapid start and have had good success with the Advance T8 HF ballasts in jobs I have done.
I HATE "energy saver" T12s. They supposedly save energy, but it requires more of them to produce the same amount of light, so what is the point?! They are fun to torture, test with, do experiments on and finish off!

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 10:24:36 AM » Author: nogden
I know what you mean about the energy saver tubes. I have actually been using them in large numbers in the lights I maintain. I've been happiest with Sylvania Supersavers, but GE and original Altos are OK (just OK). However, I'm moving back to full power tubes as the energy savers fail, and I'm finding that in many cases, I can remove half the tubes and still have sufficient light (of course, I also unhook or remove the ballast when I do this). Therefore, in practice, I have been saving more electricity by switching back to full power tubes.
Peach_Lover

View Posts
View Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/
Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 02:31:03 AM » Author: Peach_Lover
For ballasts I would probably say rapid start, I like the way they gradually come on. Also the tried and true preheat, the blinkyness was one of the first things that got me interested in fluorescents as a child. I Also have a soft spot for the now disappearing 8 foot slimlines, if for no other reason then I have fond memories of laying in the cart and watching rows of them go by as my mom shopped...it's funny what we remember and why we get attached to things.

As for colors my preference depends entirely on the situation/application. When I'm at home I definitely prefer warmer tones like 3500k, I prolly wouldn't go any cooler then a 'cool white'. But at work I like the cooler tones like in the 5000k range.
Luminaire

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 11:35:18 PM » Author: Luminaire
Electronic programmed start and RE850 phosphored lamps. 
Zelandeth

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL @zelandeth Zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth
Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 05:39:33 PM » Author: Zelandeth
T12's on good old fashioned switchstart gear for me.

640's quite a nice "neutral" colour to work under I've found, and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb when mixed with other light sources.

Recently discovered a so called "Natural white" on a Cryselco lamp though, which I've been informed is actually colour 740.  This is a *really* nice colour, one which I've not seen anywhere else though.

Comparison here between 740, 640 and 830.  The Cryselco is on the left.

Not linear fluorescent, but the good old SL*18 deserves a mention I think too. 
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 06:22:03 PM » Author: Medved
Lamps:
Like: thick circular lamps (like FC8T9), miniature T5
Dislike: Spiral CFL's

Ballasts:
Like: RS (as it is virtually nonexistent here, so a rarity), manual start incandescent resistive (reliable, simple, durable, lightweight)

Dislike: Cheepeese electronic ballasts (kill lamps on frequent starts, get frequently killed by dying lamp, flooded nearly everywhere here)

So one of next moves would be incandescent ballasted FC12T9...

No more selfballasted c***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 02:42:55 AM » Author: joseph_125
Lamps:
T12 or T8 4100k
T12 or T8  5000k lamps
Circline lamps (any colour)

T12 or T8 3500k for some more relaxed environments
(everything preferably 80+ cri)

Ballasts:
Preheat
Rapid Start
Programmed Start (if electronic)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 09:33:19 AM » Author: dor123
Lamps: Electronic tubular CFLs with 840, 835, 830 and 827 colors, with electrodes preheating.
Linear HE T5 and triphosphors T8 fluorescents.

Ballasts: Electronic ballasts with smart electrodes preheating and moderately also magnetic ballasts with electronic starters.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 11:36:46 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Lamp Sizes:
1: T12 (full power only, not that 'energy saver' stuff)
2: T8
3: T5 (high output)
(T17's are awesome, but i'm just putting common sizes here)

Lamp colors:
1: true colored lamps (red/green/blue/etc)
2: gro-lux/aquarium/etc type lamps
3: the low and high 'K' of "white" lamps

Ballasts:
1: Rapid-Start (always been my favorite)
2: Preheat/Switch-Start
3: Instant-Start (because of EOL show and Overdrive-ability)
4: Programmed Start
(i just wish the quality of electronic ballasts was better, I've had some real crap)

HID:
1. Mercury Vapor
(I don't mind Metal Halide. SOX is cool but I don't own any)

-------------
I'm not much of a fan of CFL's (except the old ones LOL)

-----
Oh and i love Xmas Lights LOL

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What kind of fluorescents are your favorite? « Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 07:52:20 AM » Author: dor123
Lamps and ballasts combination: Now, triphosphors T8s on HF ballasts (They are more efficient then HE T5 at room temperature in such combinations).
Ballasts only: Programmed start electronic ballasts or switch start (Preheat) magnetic ballasts with electronic starters.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies