Author Topic: What's lighting your room?  (Read 12726 times)
Zelandeth

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL @zelandeth Zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth
What's lighting your room? « on: January 08, 2011, 05:50:06 PM » Author: Zelandeth
Right now, what's the current setup in your room?

In here (my room at my parents house rather than my apartment) I've currently got the following:

1. The main light source in the room is a Philips QL85 which sits up on top of the wardrobe.  I know - it's special enough that I should probably be preserving it...but it's also a room that always seems dark, so I need something with a bit of punch...Plus with a 100K hour lifetime, it shouldn't have any problems for a long while.  To cut down on glare, it's got a normal table lightshade balanced on top of it.

2. In an old Strand Lighting uplighter (originally fitted with a Crompton 200W PS shape clear incandescent) there's an Iwasaki Eye R.F.F 165W PAR38 blended mercury reflector lamp.

3. The desk here which is under the bed - hence quite shadowy, is lit by a 60W Philipe Linea linear incandescent tubular "architectural" lamp on the wall to my left.

Also, currently running sitting on the desk on the other side of the room there's a Philips 18W SOX lamp in a GEC Nightwatch fixture...that's on to be photographed though rather than being a part of the usual lighting setup though!

Oh...and there's a Cheap and nasty Status 30W CFL in the ceiling fixture, but that's only used to see my way to the plug for the others!

Back in my apartment there's a Philips CDM-R 35W metal halide reflector in an uplighter in the corner, and a couple of linear fluorescent fixtures which live at the bottom of the bed.  They're both T8 2700K GE Polylux XL tubes, a 15 and 18W.  There's also a Philips Econic GU10 3W LED lamp in the desklight - don't use that so much though.  Overall it's rather less exotic than my room out here though!

If folks are interested I can snap a few photos and stick them up.

So how does this compare to what other people have in use?
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 08:16:03 PM » Author: nogden
Wow, this makes me realize that I don't have anything interesting in use in my house! My lights are almost all standard incandescent lamps. I have a few mag rapid start fluoros and a few preheat fluoros. I am also starting to use some Enertron PL adapters since they have magnetic ballasts and use preheat CFLs. I have a MV NEMA head yard light, but that's it!

You mentioned you have a Strand light. Is that a Strand stage light? If so, what stage light would take a 200W PS lamp?

Zelandeth

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 09:07:04 PM » Author: Zelandeth
Nogden: Yep, it's a stage lighting fixture.  Was orignally used as a floodlight on a small stage (was going to be skipped at a small rural school) I assume.  It's not a very big thing.

The image below is definitely sub-par, I'll grab a better closeup tomorrow.

SuperSix

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL P42STUFF supersix94
Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 04:53:15 AM » Author: SuperSix
Main light source is a 4ft Mazda Netaline with a 40W Philips cool white tube. I also normally have a 4ft Atlas Superslim on too which is screwed to the side of the wardrobe and has a GE 36W cool white in it.

The light above the desk is a 3ft Thorn Arrowslim with a 30W Thorn cool white tube.

There's also a 6ft Thorn Popular Pack standing one one end up a corner of my room with a white 85W Philips MCFE in it.

The bedside light is an 8W Fitzgerald Lightpack with a Sylvania white tube in it.

Under one of the shelves is an 18W Fitzgerald Lightpack with an Osrsam 18W white tube in it.

On the wall above my bed is an Eleco GR535 street lantern with a 26W SOX-E lamp in it.

There's also a 4ft Thorn Pop Pack and a 5ft GEC Europa under the bed which occasionally come out.

The usual combination would be the Mazda Netaline, Atlas Superslim and the Thorn Arrowslim. The other combination I have on is the 6ft Pop Pack, 18W Lightpack and 8W Lightpack. I try to keep the colours matched and will probably swap the others over to cool white or daylight at some point.

I only normally have the whole lot on if I'm taking photos of things or sometimes just for the hell of it really.  ;D

Atlas Lamps - Seeing Is Believing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/P42STUFF

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 06:52:34 AM » Author: SeanB~1
In the fan I have a 20W R63 CFL, and a trio of 20W lamps on the cupboard for a little more light if needed. If I want a lot of light I use a converted uplighter that has a remote ballasted and ignited 70W MH lamp in it. Computer is lit by a small LED cluster powered from the USB hub, and it provides enough light to see with or can be dimmed to nothing.

Night light is the 4kW of HPS light outside, as well as the 2kW of LED lighting in the street, spread over a number of fixtures visible from the window.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:00:55 AM » Author: Medved
Bedroom:
Ceiling: OSRAM L22W/827 Circular (=FC8T9) on the 3-way dimmable adaptor (home-made)
Nightlights: 2x IKEA 2W LED spots (on the "goose neck")
On my wife's computer desk: F13T5/840 on instant start electronic

Kitchen:
Ceiling: 4x LED ACRICHE 3W inside converted fixture, the wall switch is bypassed by 20nF to provide 200mW nightlight function
Working light: OSRAM L58W/827 (=F58T8) in the OSRAM batten, ballast is Quicktronic with PTC controlled preheat (hot restart is instant) + GE F13T5/827 in some el-cheapo IKEA batten (originally instant start, added PTC for programmed start)
Indirect light: TL-D36 /827 (=F36T8) in el-cheapo Chinese instant start (it was given to me by my coworker, the ballast was killed by lamp EOL)
Above the stove: 2x OSRAM DULUX 11W, waiting to be converted to 2xPL-S7 (or 9W) wired in series on common choke ballast.

Living/workig room:
Above the desk HR50W with remote ballast
Torchiere with HCI-TS70W/830, 2-level (60 and 100%) dimmable ballast, waiting to be upgraded to smooth-variable in the 40..100% range
On the desk are frequently lit my experiments

Bathroom: 12W LED
Mirror: F15T8 on programmed start HF ballast
Big mirror: Philips PL-L36W/830, instant start fixture (same as in the kitchen, was given to me as killed by EOL lamp, needed only to replace transistors and fuse)

Main door corridor:
F18T8 with instant start ballast (again, the same story as above)

No more selfballasted c***

sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 06:26:33 PM » Author: sparkie
Bedroom (mine):
- 1x Home-built series twin F18T8 full cutoff fitted with Sylvania 'Luxline Plus' /840 tubes and Osram St151 starters.

-3x F8T5 over the feature areas (goldfish bowl, display shelves), two fitted with Philips /640 and one with Radium /535. Individually ballasted with Osram St151 and Philips S2 starters.

-Lava Lamp with 80w MBF in base.

-Portable 70w MH floodlight, Osram Powerstar NDL.

Loft:
-1x Osram F65T12/535, 1x Philips F20T12/535 (both magnetic S/S) and 1x electronic I/S PL-C   18w with Philips Master /827 lamp.

Bathroom: 1x 28w 2D with Philips /830 lamp and new style S10 starter.

Kitchen: 1x series twin F18T8 with Sylvania LP /840 tubes.

Garage: 1x twin GE F40T12/535 magnetic S/S.

Fish Tank: 1x F15T8 with Kengo /840 tube, sealed magnetic ballast with electronic starter.

Shower: 1x 60w GLS - since the fixture is of the fully sealed type and the room gets hot when  in use, it is not possible to use a CFL in here as it would die very quickly!

Everywhere else: Various low wattage CFLs.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:23:34 AM » Author: dor123
In my room of my hostel, i have the following lighting setup:

Computer table light: Table lamp without its white glass light bulb style lampshade, with a Hyundai/Semicom Lexis (Brand) TEVA/HY Amalgam (Series) 20W 2700K helical CFL, with a T3 tube. The lamp shade is removed in order to cool down the ballast of the lamp and prolong its lifetime, in addition that the lamp is mounted upward.

Ceiling light: Hanging ceiling light with a Philips Tornado 23W 6500K helical CFL, with a T3 tube (Fixture will soon be replaced by a fluorescent fixture for a single T5 HE of 21W).

Reading light: Metal spotlight with Osram Duluxstar 8W 2700K tubular CFL, with 3 T2 U tubes, mounted upward to the ceiling, in order to cool down the ballast of the lamp and prolong its lifetime and ensuring that the lamp will fail before the ballast.

Nightlight: Eurolux 0.5W LED nightlight, model: LNL-02A, with 3 blue LEDs.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:27:27 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 10:41:44 AM » Author: Xytrell
I have a chandelier in my living room with a medium screw base powered with any of several remote ballasts. Whatever I feel like at the time goes in there. Color temps ranging from 2000k to 22,000K, powers from 35 to 250W, lamp types of MV, MH, CMH, HPS, or LPS.
(or anything self-ballasted at 120V I guess)

Most anything else in my house has regular incandescent because they're only on for 1-10 minutes at a time.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:43:28 AM by Xytrell » Logged
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 11:53:06 AM » Author: dor123
Here is a picture of my lighting setup in my room at the hostel.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Zelandeth

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 01:12:45 PM » Author: Zelandeth
Some interesting and varied setups here by the sounds of it.

Eliot - Excuse me while I look highly envious that you've got a Netaline!  Been after one of them for a while now, have never actually seen one in person.

I need to come up with a more interesting combination in my apartment, but it's a bit limiting not really being able to screw things to walls etc and not having enough space to swing a cat in here.
SuperSix

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL P42STUFF supersix94
Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 02:37:15 PM » Author: SuperSix
I spent a long time looking for a Netaline and when one appeared on eBay I was prepared to spend quite a lot of money getting it, luckily I only paid £12 something for it!

I was planning on having a 3ft Thorn Arrow-slim (older black ender) or an old Popular Pack with quickstart gear up there but never did, good job too now I've got this Netaline.

Personally I think you should have a nice Pop Pack up in your room :D

Atlas Lamps - Seeing Is Believing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/P42STUFF

Andy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 06:20:56 PM » Author: Andy
Kitchen: 3 x 6ft 70w T8 Sylvania 860 tubes in switch start fittings with electronic starters
Bedroom 1: noname 32w 32w 6400k Spiral.
Bedroom 2: Philips 40W Circular T9 6500k tube.
Living room: Ceiling fitting 5 x Ring 12w 865 spirals, uplighters 2 x 12w 827 philips sticks.
Hallway 3 x 26w noname 860 spirals.
Landing 3 x 5w Philips Tornado 827 spirals
Office 2 x 5ft 58w T8 Sylvania 860 tubes with electronic ballast.
Bathroom: 3 x 12v 50w MR16.
Porch: Old 2 x 8w T5 switch start fitting.
Outdoor: 2 x 500w R7s halogen and 70w Sylvania HQI floods.
Garage: 2 x 5ft 58w T8 Sylvania 860 tubes in switch start fittings.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:30:55 PM by TheVicar » Logged

I'm always interested in exchanging lamps with others. Send me a message if you would be interested in a trade. :)

A-E-I
Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 10:39:30 PM » Author: A-E-I
In my front room i have a ceiling pendant PL adapter running a luxram 11w 6400k PL lamp
On my computer desk i have my vintage 60's terry T8 fluorescent desk lamp running a GE 15w colour 55 tube with a tubesaver starter.
My bathroom is lit by a wickes 32w circular fluorescent fitting 6400k daylight tube.
Hallway is lit by 2x10w GE 2d adapters - one with the original british made tube, the other with a newer chinese made example
Kitchen is lit by 2 T8 15w under cupboard link lights with sylvania daylight tubes & a wickes 18w twin magnetic switchstart fluorescent on the ceiling (this now has a quieter Smart & Brown choke) using the wickes tubes (i believe these are from osrams russian plant)
I have a 8w T5 above the al important kettle/ tea making area magnetic switch start with a wotan 8w white tube
Bedroom has a 11w (i think) philips SL-E in the ceiling pendant
I have a philips T8 fluorescent batten above my bed with a GE daylight tube

Nothing terribly exciting here. i live in rented flat & cant change the fixtures about too much... Shame  >:(
TL8W

View Posts
View Gallery

Lee

None
Re: What's lighting your room? « Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 01:32:14 PM » Author: TL8W
Above bed: Wall-mounted PL luminaire with grille: Megaman 11W/827.

Main lighting: Two 30W slimline Fitzgeralds: Philips TLD30W/35-535 in one, GE TLD30W/827 in the other.

Occasional main light below a large shelf: 1980s Arrowslim 5ft containing two half-ballasts, and a Philips TLD58W/29-530.

Above desk: GEC Twin 2ft batten: Two Alto range Philips TL20W/830.

Below Desk: Thorn 2ft single Popular Pack batten: Philips TL20W/35-535 (occasional use only)

Wardrobe Mirror Light: 2x Fitzgerald 8w mini-packs with crystalline diffusers.

CFLs in use elsewhere, mainly Softones and where it matters Tungsten R95s/R80s. We used to have an ML160 in an outdoor bulkhead now just a clear 150w GLS.

We do not have to agree on anything to be kind to one another. The ability to be civil is available to everyone on earth, for free.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies