| I agree that local demolitions and renovations are a great place to source big fixtures, as well as enquiring about fixtures at in-use buildings - some of my most recent fluorescent fixtures, while not troffers, were sourced from my own school's lighting overhaul completely for free (although I did get thank-you gifts for those who helped me). Especially older commercial or public buildings generally have great stuff hidden out of sight such as in a rarely used basement or back office.
In fact, I recently had time to stop in a local business that had 6 prismatic troffers of unknown lamp type and lamp count (it looked like they were all 3 lamp however I cannot be sure as each troffer only has one lamp working), and let the friendly business owner know that I was interested in having them should he ever replace them for new.
Prismatic troffers are quite rare now here in the UK (I believe I have also seen them called modulars here?) due to the prevalence and low cost of drop-in LED troffer/panel replacements. I cannot comment on the original popularity of prismatic troffers here in a time when they would've been installed new, as I was not alive then. Nor can I comment on how common dropped ceilings were in such buildings, however I imagine it is less than in the US - perhaps a lot less/no air conditioning negated the need for dropped ceilings back then in the UK.
I imagine in the US you will find older troffers much easier than here - good luck finding vintage and exciting fixtures!
|
|
|
|
Logged
|