Author Topic: Have you’ve seen coated MH or HPS being used as outdoor lighting?  (Read 141 times)
Goodlighting2000
Member
**
Offline

View Posts
View Gallery

Have you’ve seen coated MH or HPS being used as outdoor lighting? « on: September 27, 2026, 11:22:48 AM » Author: Goodlighting2000
I’ve been noticing that coated HPS is rare in general, and coated MH is only common for indoor HID lighting. But, have you’ve seen coated MH or HPS lamps in outdoor lighting? This could mean shoeboxes, cobra heads, flood lights, post tops, or any outdoor fixture.
Logged
dor123
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are printers/scanners/copiers, A/Cs


WWW
Re: Have you’ve seen coated MH or HPS being used as outdoor lighting? « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2026, 11:35:40 AM » Author: dor123
I've seen lots of coated HPS lamps at streetlighting here in Israel.
I've also seen coated or phosphored MH lamps for streetlighting here in Israel.
Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

icefoglights
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA


GoL
Re: Have you’ve seen coated MH or HPS being used as outdoor lighting? « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2026, 02:14:52 PM » Author: icefoglights
Back in the 80s and 90s, it was common for smaller HPS fixtures like 35-70w tallpacks to be supplied with coated bulbs.  The idea was to cut glare since these would often be mounted down low, like next to a doorway.
Logged

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

SoxFtw
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

"If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid."


Re: Have you’ve seen coated MH or HPS being used as outdoor lighting? « Reply #3 on: September 28, 2026, 02:25:03 AM » Author: SoxFtw
Clear tubular HPS was by far the most common source but the cobra head above my house had a 250W SON-E c. August 2025 before it was replaced!
Logged

Survivor of photokeratitis :(

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!


UChBXesrxSalDTp79uMtfDvA
Re: Have you’ve seen coated MH or HPS being used as outdoor lighting? « Reply #4 on: September 28, 2026, 03:43:13 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Over near my house, I have seen a good number of parking lot shoebox fixtures running coated metal halide lamps.
Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Baked bagel 11
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Tom


UCO6cAQm377MpL943-mH_DHw
Re: Have you’ve seen coated MH or HPS being used as outdoor lighting? « Reply #5 on: Today at 01:26:46 AM » Author: Baked bagel 11
Over in Austalia, for wattages below 100w, coated HPS is standard, and clear and tubular is quite rare, though I have seen a couple. For higher wattages, clear globes by far the most common.

For MH in lower wattages (70w is by far the most common), they are usually coated, though sometimes clear and elliptical. 150-400w is usually clear and tubular. My area also used coated e27 150w MH for a little while in the 2010s in new areas, as well as in one 2003-2005, installed in the city centre, I've got one of those lanterns in my collection.
Logged
Print 
© 2005-2026 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies