Author Topic: I’m reluctant to use my incandescents for sentimental reasons  (Read 56 times)
CEB1993
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Camden


Camdenburns93
I’m reluctant to use my incandescents for sentimental reasons « on: Today at 09:23:11 AM » Author: CEB1993
Incandescent lamps are getting harder and harder to find in mainstream stores and in local thrift stores. I have a huge stash of “general use” incandescent and halogen lamps and a separate “permanent collection” of discontinued bulbs I will save forever.

I’m finding myself using modern LED lamps in my house and office. Most of the new modern LEDs are awesome and have great color rendering. However, I feel a twinge of guilt using one of my incandescents in fixtures I use on a daily basis. I remember when I bought most of my bulbs and I know most of them come from now shut down factories. It’s something that’s been bothering me a little bit lately.

I love the lighting hobby and feel really sentimental about old stock incandescent bulbs that I saw growing up in my parents’ and grandparents’ houses. It’s a sad thought to consider throwing away one of these bulbs when they burn out. Anyone else feel this way?
Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

HomeBrewLamps
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery


SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: I’m reluctant to use my incandescents for sentimental reasons « Reply #1 on: Today at 07:10:34 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
They were designed as consumables. Their purpose is to emit light. you can keep one or two or three of the general use bulbs as "collectables" for when you burn through your stash. but I would not hoard up a whole stash of the same thing and then never use it. That would just transfer the guilt from "I regret using this for its intended purpose" to "I regret having so many things"


If you would like to increase their life span, put them on soft start controllers and Dimmers and only run them at the brightness you actually need. The soft starters will help with the ones that are in places that need instsnt brightness but avoids stressing the filament.
Logged

:colorbulb:

NeXe Lights
Member
****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Quality Lighting Inc. Design 114-24B


Re: I’m reluctant to use my incandescents for sentimental reasons « Reply #2 on: Today at 09:49:28 PM » Author: NeXe Lights
I honestly feel the same way as you. I have a ton of incandescent bulbs, but most of the time, when one in service fails, I'll replace it with an LED bulb under the excuse that I'll put an incandescent bulb in when the next one burns out. Then I still won't, because I don't want to use up my stock too quickly.
Logged

Efficiency will be the death of culture.

Print 
© 2005-2026 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies