Author Topic: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV?  (Read 11055 times)
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « on: January 21, 2012, 02:54:24 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Which do you prefer and why?

Metal Halide
High Pressure Sodium
Low Pressure Sodium
Mercury Vapor

I like the crispness of the Metal Halide, however I dislike the horrible short life span that they have

I like High Pressure Sodium because of the warm white color at night, is easier on the eyes when driving

I don't know enough about Low Pressure Sodium other than the cool streetlights they had in California

Mercury Vapor I believe would have to be my favorite.  They are old and yeah a little greenish, but they last forever! 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Colin Attard
Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 03:48:37 AM » Author: Colin Attard
I think Mercury Vapour used to light streets in a far better way than High Pressure Sodium lamps and used to last a lifetime. I had one in my street that lasted for more than 18 years and was changed only because the local authorities switched to Sodium.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 03:53:29 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Halide for a short run up, powerfull light output I don`t mind the shorter life as, if you keep on top of re-lamp maintenance their never a problem, but I dislike how sensative they are to voltage drop causing them to extinguish!

I like everything about the HPS lamps, and are possibly the best out of all the HID family, with excellent colour fast run up and re strike and relatively cool running.

LPS for their efficiency and best visual light for driving under in foggy conditions, plus we still have them all over the UK, and I use them to for outside lighting at home.
At the moment their good quality and still made up in Philips`s Scotland lampworks, but if rumors are right and they go to China they will be worth very little then!

MV, who doesn`t like the good old MV lamp, these are the streetlighting lamp that most of us grew up with and have stood the test of time, however now the Chinese are once again in charge of making them, their no longer that good.
All my MV in collection though are the (none PRC) ones ;)
I love the colour of the MVs, both clear and coated, and the simple circuits they run on, I also have those childhood memorys of them lighting the snowy roads up in the 1970s, and the christmas card scene you got from it ::)
Rich

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 03:59:39 AM » Author: dor123
My prefered HID lamps:
1. For sidewalk, paths and promenades: Yttrium vanadate phosphor (/DX) (Or better CRI and efficiency phosphors) merucry lamps and low wattage 4000K CMH, because of the enhanced performance over HPS and LPS lamps during nightvision. This allow the use of lower lighting level and lower wattage lamps as well, long lamp life of the mercury lamps and enhanced CRI and general efficiency and life of CMH over QMH (There are no 6500K CMH lamps). Also there will no light pollution.
2. For roads and intercity roads: 4000K CMH or 6500K (Daylight rare-earth) QMH (6500K CMH don't exist or is very rare) lamps because not only very high color rendering and higher efficiency over mercury lamps, but because of better efficiency over HPS and LPS lamps during nightvision, it is possible to use lower illumination levels and still get a better visibility and with lower lamp wattages, what means energy saving and no light pollution.
3. For tunnels: A combination of HPS and MV /DX or 6500K (Daylight rare-earth) QMH or 4000K CMH lamps or even preheat/switchstart 865 T8 fluorescents or PLs, in which the HPS will be on during the day to keep daylight vision and the MV/MH/fluorescent/PL will be on, during the night to keep nightvision and to prevent suddent glaring because of entering to a daylight vision conditions.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:08:59 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 04:36:06 AM » Author: Medved
CMH for indoors/easy to replace areas
MV for hard to reach (so mainly outdoor) areas, as they do not completely die in short time

HPS are the cheapest, low quality light.

LPS I don't like. The monochromatic light is terrible, light control very poor, so the efficacy of the whole installation is way worse then the HPS (90W SOX were dimmer then 70W HPS) and they spill a lot of light to unwanted directions. I don't care  much they are for astronomers easy to filter out from the light pollution, if they are responsible for quite strong sky glow for the naked eye (I do not use color filters when walking)...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:37:51 AM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 05:07:23 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Weeel...

I like MH very much. it produces good quality light and especially high colortemp lamps have nice tone in their light. Also the average life of MH is enough so you actually get to see burn-out lamps in home envirioment also. its always nice to get to change burn-out lamps  ;D (still in home use, MH's last forever)

HPS and LPS are not really my favourites. Getting LPS fixture or gearset in here is very difficult even though lamps are somewhat available(but expensive) HPS is too efficient for my use. It produces so much light and the light color is not that good. Also the availability of smaller fixture for 50w or 70w is limited. higher wattage fixture are more available. More likely I dont really have a place where I could use HPS lamps right now but maybe someday I install small 70w HPS fixture somewhere. Yellow-colored light is also not so great.

Good old MV is good. light quality is good enough. its avaialable in smaller wattages wich gives enough light to be used in home environment. only problem is EOL since I usually have trobles to decide when lumen depreciation is so bad that the lamp is counted as spent and I should replace it. ;D . also the simplicity of gear and lamp is positive feature.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:11:19 AM by Roi_hartmann » Logged

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 05:12:34 AM » Author: dor123
For outdoor use, high CCT is the best. It allows more visibility with lower light levels, as nightvision precieve bluer wavelengths, and so light pollution would be eliminated.
This thing is done in Japan, where 60% of their all outdoor lighting installations are clear MV lamps.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:25:30 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 06:36:06 AM » Author: Ash
Each for its purpose

MH for exterior lighting with good CRI where needed

Merc for general exterior lighting

HPS for floodlighting

LPS i am not familiar with
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 08:22:27 AM » Author: dor123
Ash: LPS lamps aren't belongs to the family of the HID lamps, as they have a low pressure sodium. they are on the same family with the fluorescent lamps.
LPS lamps produces a saturated monochromatic amber light (Not so different than an amber LED or a HPS during run-up after the first vapourising of the sodium, when the pressure is low) when they operates at full brightness and have a 15 mins run-up time and during it, they glows red because of their buffer gas which is a neon-argon penning.
Like fluorescents they can be instant hot restriked.
But they causes more light pollution than the HPS lamps.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 08:33:35 AM » Author: Ash
LPS are used in the same applications as HPS, so can qualify as HID substitute. I think the reason is that they have higher power density than fluoresents originally had (probably close to today's PL-T)

Light pollution is caused by aiming the lights wrongly or using fixtures with inferior optics. This includes many LPS fixtures but also cobraheads for example

A major cause for light pollution in floodlighting (which i seen in Israel) is that floodlights lige Zohar and the green floodlights were made with lamp at the bottom. so they are meant to be aimed very low. But the installers did not take this into account (they assumed the light is exiting at 90 angle to the glass, not 45 like it really is) so often >1/2 of the light is going straight from the floodlight into the sky. When installed correctly (aimed low), there is much less light pollution

Instead of solving the problem by instructing the users, the lamp was just moved to the center in newer floodlights like Jupiter. So while it is better (the main beam now goes where the installer assumes it is), a Zohar or green floodlight aimed correctly is way less polluting than Jupiter installed correctly

So with correct optics LPS is not more polluting than HPS
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:38:03 AM by Ash » Logged
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 09:17:47 AM » Author: dor123
When the lamp is on the bottom of the floodlight, the floodlight is assymetric.
When the lamp is on the center of the floodlight, the floodlight is symetric.
I saw many assymetric floodlights. But if assymetric floodlights causes in most situations more light pollution, so why they are produced. Only symetric floodlights should be produced.
LPS causes more light pollution, because of their larger size which is similar to the fluorescent lamps, so the controlling of the light is harder.
This can also be happen with fluorescents and induction lanterns.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 09:24:03 AM » Author: Ash
Each floodlight should be used for the correct application

For most common applications, assymetric floodlight is more suitable _if installed correctly_

In tose applications, assymetric floodlight will pollute less than symmetric when installed correctly, and way more than symmetric when installed incorrectly

Whenever you see assymetric floodlight which is aimed high, it is installed incorrectly.
arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 12:37:37 AM » Author: arcblue
Depends on my mood for the day! I have all of the above in my home. I like HPS and LPS for accent lights due to their fire-like colour, and are efficient to use for dusk-dawn security lighting. MH is my favourite when I need extra bright lighting with good colour for a project or recreation. Deluxe-white mercury does OK for the same at a slightly lower brightness and looks great on water. Clear mercury makes the green plants look fabulous, and makes for spooky accent lighting indoors too :)

I'm lampin...

LowPressureSodiumSOX
Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 05:22:10 PM » Author: LowPressureSodiumSOX
I personally prefer LPS lamps the most, owing to the monochromatic light being emitted, supreme efficiency when used with electronic systems They do have a harder light control, due to the size. However, they are the least practical of all light sources (for indoors), due to the 0 cri.Secondly, I love clear MV lamps due to its green color and the effect on yellow objects.Least amount of this light is needed for a wide illumination. I personally dislike the coated MV lamp due to the potential for light pollution and the MH would be better than coated MV. HPS makes way too much light pollution if not reflected properly. MH is best for indoors, the light is very clear/bright, but arc tube exploding is a issue for many MH lamps, and its short life.
paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: Which do you prefer? MH, HPS, LPS, MV? « Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 06:36:04 PM » Author: paintballer22
I like clear mercury vapor lights at night because it's like moon light and coated mercury for general use. I don't care for metal halide because of color shift and short life compared to MV and the explosive EOL. HPS is good for accent lighting. LPS I don't know much about it.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies