Author Topic: blacklights  (Read 5347 times)
lesliewatling
blacklights « on: April 09, 2014, 05:13:41 AM » Author: lesliewatling
I know there are many blacklights out there but some are rare I posted this discussion to talk about these.
some include:

mercury vapour blacklight blue

older incandescent  blacklight blue

circline blacklight blue

or any other types of blacklight
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: blacklights « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:31:12 AM » Author: dor123
Incandescent blacklight lamps, don't produces UV at all.
Blacklight blue fluorescent lamps, I've seen mainly in linear T12 or T8, or compact fluorescent lamps (Including self-ballasted CFLs). Never seen circular fluorescent blacklight lamps. Their phosphor coating converts short wave UV from the mercury to long wave UV.
Mercury blacklight lamps are used mainly for night clubs, theatre and at the stage. There were also self-ballasted mercury lamps. The 365nm spectral line of the mercury, produces the long wave UV directly, without the need of phosphors.
There are also near UV, violet and long wave UV LEDs in flashlights that intended to check money.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

lesliewatling
Re: blacklights « Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 05:39:00 AM » Author: lesliewatling
the older ones did produce a small amount but you dad to have it around 15cm or closer to get the uv to show
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: blacklights « Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 02:30:45 PM » Author: Medved
The incandescent does produce a little bit of UV-A, mainly when driven at a bit higher temperature.
And quite significant it is with halogens: The 300K extra mean the UV reaches even unsafe levels, so have to be explicitly filtered out, it even reaches the UVB range (but just in mW range).

The BLB incandescents are here the most easiest type of BLB: It is available in most DYI shops and it is the cheapest source, even when it tis the weakest one (a 100W lamp emits few 100's mW, versus ~8W from an F36T8 or ~4W from a 125W MV)

No more selfballasted c***

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: blacklights « Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 05:50:57 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
12 years ago or so I had a pen that wrote invisible ink, and built into the pen was a UVA LED that you could use to view the written ink.  ;D

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: blacklights « Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 10:19:00 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I wish I had an F96T12/BLB. Not that those actually exist, but it would be super awesome. :a_fluor-blb:
migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: blacklights « Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 12:59:44 PM » Author: migette1
Leslie welcome to LG some time ago I put a comparison on You Tube showing a standard so called blue uv which had a filament and can be bought at Maplin, These have nil uv and are just a deep purple lamp which gets very hot. The other one was a black glass CFL which did give out uv. To test that put the light near some washing powder and it fluoresces also white paper shows up very white. I once had the self ballasted black light source which uses Woods Glass these are very good. but my one had a damaged inside and it was all to one side in the envelope. Be careful and avoid looking at it alight does harm to the eyes as do the other fluorescent types of BLB. While on this subject never look at one of those clear quartz (ones used for sterilising purposes) or view behind thickish piece of glass or jam jar note  ozone smell.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:02:16 PM by migette1 » Logged

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

lesliewatling
Re: blacklights « Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 01:30:08 PM » Author: lesliewatling
hi

the old ( 1950s )incandesant blacklights did give a teeny bit of uv if the were held 10cm away from the florescent object after the 1950s the did not for some unknown reason.
merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: blacklights « Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 04:23:48 PM » Author: merc
Osram Classic Eco Superstar - 77 Watt halogen have warnings at their boxes that you should not use them if the outer UV-protective bulb is broken. And their colour temperature is only 2800K.
On the other hand, linear halogen bulbs were used in floodlights with wire netting only for decades and no sunburns were reported.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: blacklights « Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 12:23:16 AM » Author: Medved
For a real sunburn you need really high exposure and for that the incandescent sources are not that strong at all.
But the safety limits are set so, you even do not notice any effect of the UV, so even no slight tanning or so.

The problem with unprotected haologens is, even when they are not able to cause sunburns alone, they do add up to the overall UV dose. So it may e.g. unexpectedly worsen the sunburns you get from the day at the beach...

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: blacklights « Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 03:35:32 AM » Author: dor123
Generic self ballasted CFLs in Israel (Hyundai, Eurolux), have warning on their boxes that you shouldn't operate them from a distance less than 30-40cm, because of UV radiation...

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: blacklights « Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 01:55:40 AM » Author: nicksfans
Here's a BLB circline:

http://www.elightbulbs.com/GE-14681-FCA21-BLB-BLACK-LIGHT-CIRCLITE-KIT-Circular-Fluorescent-Tube

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: blacklights « Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 11:23:09 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I thought I saw a black light HPS a while ago.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: blacklights « Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 12:02:07 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
I thought I saw a black light HPS a while ago.

I don't think HPS lamps make enough UV to function as blacklights. I've certainly never heard of one, anyway.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: blacklights « Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 12:41:56 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I would love to have a mercury vapor blacklight. That would be totally awesome.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies