Author Topic: .  (Read 3004 times)
Max
. « on: October 07, 2014, 06:46:01 AM » Author: Max
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:14:49 PM by Max » Logged
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Nobel Prize for blue LED inventors !!! « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:49:55 AM » Author: funkybulb
What hell Is this unrelated topic Dor?

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Nobel Prize for blue LED inventors !!! « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:56:58 AM » Author: FGS
Doron, just because someone won a Nobel prize doesn't always mean a company or more was involved and wanted good public relations for them.

They won it because they earned it and it's a big technological milestone for lighting. Any good public relations for companies just happened.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Nobel Prize for blue LED inventors !!! « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 09:18:44 AM » Author: dor123
I erased my comment after seeing my inapporate behavior, in the form of your negative comments. I apologize if someone being insulted. The comment was a spontaneous reaction of mine without thinking first.
Often, unexpected things causes me panic, regardless if they are good or bad.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: Nobel Prize for blue LED inventors !!! « Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 04:00:12 PM » Author: merc
Good for them, they deserve it indeed! Seriously. 8)

But I wonder why compact fluorescent designers haven't won any price because in fact CFL was the technology that brought energy-saving lighting to homes. All right, fluorescent is nothing new or revolutionary but how many people used to use them for example in living rooms when only tubes (or circlines) were available?
Affordable CFLs that replaced incandescents in home fittings meant 4 to 5 times less energy while next replacing them with LEDs is just a smaller step - the best of them are 2 times more efficient than CFLs.
Kappa7

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Nobel Prize for blue LED inventors !!! « Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 04:10:47 PM » Author: Kappa7
There is also an interesting explication of the evolution of the blue LEDs:
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2014/advanced-physicsprize2014_2.pdf

However the end of the article seem to be too much biased:
"The fluorescent tube,containing mercury and invented by P. Cooper Hewitt in 1900,reaches an efficiency of 70 lm/W. White LEDs currently reach more than 300 lm/W, representing more than 50% wallplug efficiency."

I don't understand why even the nobel organization have to discredit the fluorescent lighting (which attain easily efficiency >100lm/W) and exaggerate the efficiency of LEDs that currently doesn't even reach the half of the efficiency stated here (300lm/W).

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Nobel Prize for blue LED inventors !!! « Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 01:07:49 AM » Author: Medved
The CFLs are nothing else than a crippled fluorescents - compare to the same power straight tube reduces the light outpot by almost 30% and beside that increaes the needed amount of dangerous chemicals inside.
So I really don't think the CFL are any scientific discovery at all, they are just an engineering evolution.

Wasn't the 70lm/W laboratory maximum at the time of fluorescent invention? Today we are using them for nearly a century, while they end up at the 100..130lm/W.
But the truth is, if you limit yourself just to the rather low output "incandescent replacements", the statements would be basically correct...

The 300lm/W is not that much extraordinary in the lab environment (cryogenic cooling,...), if the "white" spectrum is shaped a bit (nobody speaks about any CRI figure at all, so green phosphor utilizes the peak eye sensitivity), it means an energy efficiency around 70%. And nobody speaks about the output power either (mW range of just few 10's um size chips)... But these "milestones" are just a side effects of the main study of various phenomenons affecting the LED losses and limitations. These studies are done indeed with the aim to increase the efficacy, but more focus is to improve the quality figures while keeping the cost low, as the reliability is really the main issue today.

But the truth is, the Nobel comitee is really highly politically biased (well the most "creaming" is the peace prize). BUt it is a private entity and they have the rights to decide in whatever way they like.

No more selfballasted c***

yuandrew

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Nobel Prize for blue LED inventors !!! « Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 03:02:42 AM » Author: yuandrew
The 300lm/W is not that much extraordinary in the lab environment (cryogenic cooling,...), if the "white" spectrum is shaped a bit (nobody speaks about any CRI figure

According to a few articles I found, the 303 lumens per watt rating the Cree achieved in March of this year was done at normal room temperature and with a correlated color temp of 5,150 K 

http://www.lednews.org/cree-power-led-luminous-efficiency-300lmw/
Kappa7

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Nobel Prize for blue LED inventors !!! « Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 03:09:33 AM » Author: Kappa7
Yes but this is a prototype. The actual products top at about 150lm/W.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Nobel Prize for blue LED inventors !!! « Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 02:05:24 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
A prize well deserved, I say. I'm surprised it wasn't awarded earlier, considering the blue LED is responsible for the white LED, which rose to widespread use long before LED light bulbs came about.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Nobel Prize for blue LED inventors !!! « Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 11:22:05 PM » Author: Silverliner
I read today that Nick Holonyak Jr, who invented the red LED in 1962, is upset that he did not get the nobel prize. He said his invention contributed towards the development of the blue LED by Shuji Nakamura and the other two inventors. Nick is old now, and lives in an assisted living home, but he was the professor at University of Illinois for 50 years and he worked for GE when he invented the red LED.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies