Author Topic: What kind of cell phone do you use?  (Read 80514 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #165 on: December 01, 2017, 02:39:01 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Here, many elderly people don't have them; my mother is 91 next February and wouldn't know what a mobile phone was if one jumped up and bit her. I have repeatedly tried to show her how to use one, but she just can't grasp the concept.

And that includes the phone that looked identical to the cordless phone..!! :o

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #166 on: December 01, 2017, 02:39:59 PM » Author: Rommie
And that includes the phone that looked identical to the cordless phone..!! :o

Mothers, who'd have 'em..?  ::)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #167 on: December 01, 2017, 02:41:50 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl

I dont mean to sound rude but isn't using land line like... kind of pretty old fashioned? I mean, in here you can't even get new land line subscription anymore in years.

You should see the old rotary dial phone we have then...  :P

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #168 on: December 01, 2017, 02:49:15 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
That's not a bad price at all for 100mbit/s. I'd forgotten cable tv, but we can't have that anyway as there is no service in this area. Mobile broadband is very patchy at 4G here and even where it is available, it's very expensive.

It really surprises me that you have areas where normal landlines are no longer available. What do people who don't have mobiles do..? Surely there must be some..? Here, many elderly people don't have them; my mother is 91 next February and wouldn't know what a mobile phone was if one jumped up and bit her. I have repeatedly tried to show her how to use one, but she just can't grasp the concept.
Most people do have a mobile phohe (I have even two + one from my employer and employer even offers me a usb 4g modem with separated plan for work use). For elderly people operators offer things like this https://verk.com/drssd it's like mobile phone in a form of table phone. Very easy to use, just like real landline phone.

Fast 4G networks covers here most of the country with some really remote areas lacking it but no one lives there. If you want to bargain you can get a subscription as cheap as 14,90EUR per month with unlimited data which is even cheaper than fixed internet connection. That's why I rarely use wlan even in my home as samsung tablet and my mobile phone works well over 4G network.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #169 on: December 01, 2017, 02:51:14 PM » Author: Rommie
You should see the old rotary dial phone we have then...  :P

You mean this one..?  :)

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #170 on: December 01, 2017, 03:02:32 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl

https://verk.com/drssd

That looks like a very useful phone to have, especially for a telecoms nutter like Ria...  ::)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:34:53 PM by Miss Cuddly » Logged

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #171 on: December 01, 2017, 05:36:44 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Samsung Galaxy S5. (I'm on my 3rd or 4th S5 now because I keep breaking em) Prior to that I used and loved the Motorola Droid 4.  Would still be using it now except it can't run the modern apps well.  I don't need the latest and greatest and I sure as hell won't ever touch another Iphone. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #172 on: December 02, 2017, 03:22:22 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
actually I am done with Samsung products otherwise.  Their quality has really gone down the drain over the past few years. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #173 on: December 02, 2017, 11:03:42 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: HomeBrewLamps
Unless you're an audio nut, I doubt a tad bit of dust will do any harm to the sound quality, unless you're shoveling oil and dust into the audioport, it should not give you an issue...
If you're an audio nut you wouldn't be using an iPhone or anything like MP3's anyway LOL

Even if it wasn't for their crap quality...or ridiculous overpriced-ness...or using proprietary cables...
the no headphone jack alone would be reason enough for me to avoid iPhones.

--------------
I think everyone I know that has had an iPhones has broken the screen. What crap! All these years of making phones & you think they'd have learned how to make a better screen...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #174 on: December 02, 2017, 11:16:52 AM » Author: Rommie
I think everyone I know that has had an iPhones has broken the screen. What crap! All these years of making phones & you think they'd have learned how to make a better screen...

Of course they know how to make one. They just choose not to, in order to make you buy another phone.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #175 on: December 02, 2017, 11:49:15 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Of course they know how to make one. They just choose not to, in order to make you buy another phone.

I totally agree, I heard of someone sitting on their iPhone breaking the screen on the day they got it.!! :o And my phone has been dropped and sat on goodness knows how many times and it's still looking good, not even a scratch on the screen.

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #176 on: December 02, 2017, 01:35:16 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: MissRiaElaine
LOL so true
That or make you take it to their overpriced shop and have the screen replaced.

Quote from: Miss Cuddly
I totally agree, I heard of someone sitting on their iPhone breaking the screen on the day they got it.!! :o And my phone has been dropped and sat on goodness knows how many times and it's still looking good, not even a scratch on the screen.
Just the way it should be.
All phones should easily withstand a drop from a 'normal' height.
I could see it not taking a fall from... say if you were 3 stories up on the roof & dropped it over the edge :lol:
(I wouldn't even bring my phone (an old HTC) with me when I go on the roof...unless I forgot it being in my pocket, then it can stay right there)
Dammn iPhone would probably break just at the thought of you carrying it up that high. LOL
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 01:47:13 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #177 on: December 02, 2017, 01:50:58 PM » Author: CEB1993

That's exactly what Apple wants.  To make a breakable phone, overprice it, and then wait for the consumer to buy them over and over again each time they break.  Apple isn't the only company that scams the consumer this way.  Planned obsolescence, what a "great" business plan  ???

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #178 on: December 02, 2017, 02:00:00 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
That's exactly what Apple wants.  To make a breakable phone, overprice it, and then wait for the consumer to buy them over and over again each time they break.  Apple isn't the only company that scams the consumer this way.  Planned obsolescence, what a "great" business plan  ???

I don't know about you, but if I bought a product that broke I wouldn't go back to buying from that manufacturer E V E R ! ! !

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #179 on: December 02, 2017, 03:22:50 PM » Author: FGS
I don't know about you, but if I bought a product that broke I wouldn't go back to buying from that manufacturer E V E R ! ! !

That plan would make your choices of stuff to buy shrink one by one. Pretty soon you wouldn't be able to buy anything. Stuff breaks here and there. No matter who made them or from what decade it was made in. It breaks by either design flaw or carelessness. (Someone dropping their phone and the screen cracks. You just got careless with it. Simply get it fixed. Samsung's Note 7's exploding battery had a design flaw that caused them to explode. That doesn't mean everything Samsung made is garbage. They make good phones for Android devices.)

All devices with 5"+ size screens are gonna break no matter who made them. Buy over and over? Ever hear of warranty repairs or exchange?

I don't believe in planned obsolescence. Stuff wears down as you use them. Then they'd inevitably break. Batteries has a limited number of charge cycles. Software are constantly improving themselves so a newer faster hardware to run them is gonna be inevitably needed.

---------------------

All those people claiming that iPhone screens are of crappy quality either doesn't take care of their phones or doesn't buy a good case for the phone. My friend works in building and he has an iPhone 7. Got a beefy case for it and haven't broken the screen. The thing is in pristine condition as if it just came out of the box.

I haven't broken any of my iPhones I've used because I know how to take care of it. 4S then 6+ then 7+ currently as I typed this. I used them all the time. Only the 4S suffered the battery not holding charge anymore. I'd replace the battery but I keep putting it off. LOL!

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies