Author Topic: What kind of cell phone do you use?  (Read 79865 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #225 on: October 07, 2018, 12:04:02 PM » Author: Rommie
Flip phone----the basics---it just works!!!All many folks need.
Does what it says on the tin. Makes phone calls, sends messages, takes the occasional photo. I do have a so-called smart phone, but its main use seems to be checking emails in bed  :D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #226 on: October 07, 2018, 01:36:44 PM » Author: Cole D.
I used to have one of those flip phones and I was fine with it. But I like having my smartphone for web browsing on the go, and navigation (I don't have a unit in my car or a portable one). It's nice for taking photos in stealth too (if I used my digital camera it would be more obvious). I also like using it with Pandora, either when I drive or listening to it with headphones in bed.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #227 on: October 07, 2018, 01:49:49 PM » Author: Rommie
I used to have one of those flip phones and I was fine with it. But I like having my smartphone for web browsing on the go, and navigation (I don't have a unit in my car or a portable one). It's nice for taking photos in stealth too (if I used my digital camera it would be more obvious). I also like using it with Pandora, either when I drive or listening to it with headphones in bed.
That's one thing I never do on the move. It strains my eyes trying to read a web page on such a small screen. I have occasionally used the navigation function while walking, if I've been trying to find somewhere I've not been before, but for in-car use I have a standalone Garmin unit.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #228 on: October 07, 2018, 01:59:43 PM » Author: Cole D.
That's one thing I never do on the move. It strains my eyes trying to read a web page on such a small screen. I have occasionally used the navigation function while walking, if I've been trying to find somewhere I've not been before, but for in-car use I have a standalone Garmin unit.

I mostly only do that if I am sitting at a restaurant alone or something, and it's usually just forum browsing when I do. The only thing I don't like about the navigation aspect is it's a bit fussy to set up an address. I use Google maps and sometimes it just doesn't want to work right. It's better than it was a few years ago, it used to crash all the time. An actual Garmin or in car nav system would be better for that I'm sure.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #229 on: October 07, 2019, 11:41:20 AM » Author: Rommie
Well, we've taken the momentous decision to ditch our so-called "smart" phones. We use them so rarely it's not worth it, all we really do these days is make the occasional call, we have no need to mess about on the interweb when we're out.

So we have gone back to the tried and trusted Nokia 6310i phones that we both had many years ago, and found a couple of NOS ones for around £35-£40 each, which will do us very nicely. The batteries last for days on standby, they're simply the best phones we've ever had.

Do we miss the smart phones..? In a word, no  ;D

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #230 on: October 07, 2019, 01:29:10 PM » Author: Ash
I don't miss them because i have never bought into them. I have a non smart (but more modern than this Nokia) phone and thats the way it have allways been
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #231 on: October 07, 2019, 02:52:10 PM » Author: suzukir122
Right now I'm still using the ZTE Prelude 2. Yup. You read that right. Ridiculous.
After I move out of my apartment, my next major goal is to make a major upgrade... not just for potential YouTube content,
but also to better my life in general. Next phone goal is the Iphone 8. Big time upgrade from what I've got now.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #232 on: October 07, 2019, 04:51:16 PM » Author: Rommie
Right now I'm still using the ZTE Prelude 2. Yup. You read that right. Ridiculous.
If you say so, I have no idea what that is  :D :P

Seriously, we have no need to carry a portable computer everywhere we go, a simple phone is quite enough, we aren't heavy users so pay as you go (pre-pay to you over there) is more than enough. Battery on the Nokia 6310i lasts at least a week on standby, it makes and receives phone calls and sends/receives text messages. K.I.S.S. is the order of the day here, it always amuses us walking down the street in town seeing people with their heads down, buried in their phones, totally oblivious to what's going on around them. They might just as well hang a sign around their necks saying "Please steal my phone"  :D

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #233 on: October 07, 2019, 04:58:11 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Current phone is a LG Stylo 4. It's junk aside from its durability. I need a better camera and a good battery. That's all I care about in a phone aside from basic coms functions like messenger web browsing and phone calls.

My previous phone was a Motorola e5 supra. Excellent phone for the price range. Way better camera than my current piece of junk.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #234 on: October 07, 2019, 05:44:26 PM » Author: High Intensity
I'm currently using an LG Aristo 3 (since my LG Aristo 2 has a flaky USB port), however, despite the camera specs being the same between these two phones, i noticed that the photos i take on my newer one seem to be slightly fuzzier compared to my old phone.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #235 on: October 07, 2019, 08:43:00 PM » Author: dor123
I now have Xiaomi Redmi 6A:

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #236 on: October 07, 2019, 09:46:19 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Since I rarely use a cell and don't text I still have a basic flip phone ! It's a cheapie  Alcatel A405DL .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #237 on: October 08, 2019, 11:34:55 AM » Author: CEB1993
I have an iPhone 7.

I've had this phone for about two years and it's perfect for my purposes.  It takes beautiful quality photos, seen in all of my lighting posts here.  It still runs quickly and hasn't developed any glitches after two years of heavy use.  I use it every day for running Spotify to listen to music in my car.  The only thing about this phone and my previous iPhone is that the battery won't hold a charge for as long as it did when new.  Thankfully, low power mode rectifies this issue.  One other small design flaw with my phone is lint and dust collecting in the charging port.  I have to take a needle and pick the lint out of the tiny opening because the phone charger/headphones would not plug in all the way.

With my new job at a hardware store, I might invest in a more durable phone case.  It's frustrating how Apple uses glass screens in all of the iPhones until the latest 11.  Glass screens crack easily and force the consumer to buy a new phone in many cases.  Thankfully Batteries Plus Bulbs fixed my screen on my previous phone for a reasonable price and it looked great.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #238 on: October 09, 2019, 09:52:36 AM » Author: suzukir122
Oh snap... Apple is using glass screens? Even with the Iphone 8? That's not good... I'm so late in the game, that I
did not know that.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #239 on: October 09, 2019, 11:08:36 AM » Author: CEB1993
Oh snap... Apple is using glass screens? Even with the Iphone 8? That's not good... I'm so late in the game, that I
did not know that.

@Suzukir122, yes and both the iphone 8 and iphone 10 have glass on the screen AND on the back.  That's a terrible design in my opinion  :o  Thankfully my iphone 7 is still working well so I don't have to worry about shopping for a newer version yet.  Apple seems determined to intentionally produce products that break easily and force the consumer to buy replacements or pay for repairs.  I don't know for sure, but I've heard the latest iphone 11 is more durable, dust and water resistant, and now made with stronger plexiglass.  I guess Apple finally listened to consumer complaints and caught on to better phone designs seen in Samsung.

Here's a drop test video of the iphones 8 and 10 with glass on both sides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRJpwTQdd2U

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies