Author Topic: Best brand of CFL to use  (Read 6628 times)
mr_big
Best brand of CFL to use « on: October 05, 2007, 01:35:18 AM » Author: mr_big
Our electric bill was $400 dollars this month :o because of incandescents everywhere in the house
so... I was wondering...what's the best brand of CFL to use
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 09:16:28 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Buy those new Philips Energy saver Halogens that they sell in Home Depot....they have almost the exact same shape of the square soft white shape like Westinghouse house did.......the 40 watt equals a 60 watt...and they are cooler and brighter.......

You can use Philips Marathon classic CFL made in Mexico also......the new halogens are made in Mexico too.....

Best brand is Panasonic.....ask Jeremiah to help you get those!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 05:32:34 AM » Author: SeanB~1
$400 and you think lighting is the biggest portion?

Check water heating, cooking ( if not gas) and heating/cooling as being the biggest users. 

That aside, Panasonic and then Philips, GE and Osram. Magnetic ballasts ( the nice heavy ones) are preferred.
mr_big
Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 12:21:03 PM » Author: mr_big
That's with 4 fixtures that stay on all night and it doesn't help the fact that people never turn theirs off when I tell them too or they leave a room

of course my room is being lit by a 25 watt equivalent spiral (It's sooo dim) ;)
SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 02:34:38 PM » Author: SeanB~1
My bill is $25 per month or less. But difference is that I pay around 9c per kWh.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:54:29 PM » Author: Silverliner
Lighting only uses about 20% of the electricity used by the average American home so it can't be just the incandescents alone. Did you use the A/C all the time? They use lots more electricity than lighting.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

lightboy90

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 02:39:18 PM » Author: lightboy90
I think Philips Energy Saving Lamps are the best! In our house I use nearly everywhere Philips Energy saving Lamps. And I'm very happy with these Lamps!
Santaarnpaal

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 03:22:12 PM » Author: Santaarnpaal
I have good experience with Philips and Osram CFL lamps. (with and without internal ballast)
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 02:53:18 PM » Author: Michael
In my opinion- PHILIPS and OSRAM CFL are the choice!!! Avoid to buy Ikea CFLs bad Chinese quality!!!
mr_big
Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 09:06:25 PM » Author: mr_big
If I'm not mistaken the ikea CFLs are made my megaman, I had some that lasted there rated life!
J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 01:39:11 AM » Author: J-Frog
They USED to be made by Megaman, now they are made by some other company and those tend to burn out fast.

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 06:36:55 PM » Author: Silverliner
I heard there are issues with overheating on the newer IKEA CFLs.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 02:21:04 PM » Author: Michael
Ikea CFLs are junk- made in China! I don't know much about Megaman CFLs but with Ikea lamps I had some bad experiences! Philips sells their CFLs very cheap in Switzerland! They are actually  the best sold lamps....
fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 05:32:33 PM » Author: fran4001
I'm very fond of Philips, and not just because I sell them for a living. I seem to have the best luck with them.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Best brand of CFL to use « Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 10:50:31 PM » Author: icefoglights
I've been using either GE or n:vision CFLs.  I like the bright white  8)  also have some Sylvania Daylight Extra (3500k) in one room.  I used to have some older LOA (the larger spiral) CFLs, but they blocked the signal from my satellite remote, so I had to turn off the lights to change channels!

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies