Author Topic: Anyone else here Autistic?  (Read 13795 times)
RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Anyone else here Autistic? « on: April 17, 2015, 08:18:32 PM » Author: RCM442
Like the title says, is anyone else here Autistic, or have some kind of Autism Spectrum Disorder?
I'm Autistic, not Asperger's Syndrome, witch was actually taken out of the DSM-IV but when I was diagnosed, it was labelled as classic autism, but my symptoms weren't as severe as others. With the diagnostic criteria changed now in the DSM-5 I am more then likely level 2 which is classed as requiring substantial support.
My motor skills aren't that great either, I can't even tie my shoes because of it!!!
Any questions either ask me here, or PM me!

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 10:02:29 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I never thought I'd say it in public, but I do have Aspergers. When I was much younger, my mother took me to see all sorts of idiot doctors. She even put me in an after school program thing. It was terrible.
RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 11:20:31 AM » Author: RCM442
I never thought I'd say it in public, but I do have Aspergers. When I was much younger, my mother took me to see all sorts of idiot doctors. She even put me in an after school program thing. It was terrible.
A lot of those programs ARE terrible
I happen to be Level 2 because I have a hard time with communication and other things
Aspergers syndrome was taken out of use in favor of three levels of severity
Level 1 Requiring support
Level 2 Requiring substantial support
Level 3 Requiring very substantial support
You also shouldn't have a hard time saying it in public, I don't, I embrace it as a challenge and have been winning battles with my own life for the past 26 years!!
I even have a website up here]www.lifewithautism.info] here showing what I deal with, I don't always have time to update my own personal website, seeing as how I manage 2 other ones as my job!

Administrator #4

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 03:16:25 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
The only thing I struggle with is balancing my interests. For example - I can be intersted in antique radios one week and be completely bored with them the next. Lighting seems to stick with me, though.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 02:59:06 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I wouldn't at all be surprised if I have a touch of aspergers. Nobody contains the set of interests and hobbies that I do and not have something "different" about them. But I've never been tested and it has never interfered with me having a normal life, so I don't even care.

At the same time, though, I see where trencheel303 is getting at. It seems almost anyone with interests outside the "norm" can have the autism sticker slapped on them. I have a colleague (who enjoys collecting insulators and is basically in the same place as me with the whole subject) who hypothesizes that autism/aspergers covers such a wide range of behavior that every person in the world could be diagnosed to some degree.

Dave, I'm exactly the same, except it's on about 1-2 year cycles. I'm practically out of lighting and calculators now, and back into computers. I always seem to focus on one particular thing for a period of time and then go to the next, rather than balancing them.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 03:03:53 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 10:29:54 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Toilets seem to have the longest "swing" for me. Toilets used to be my number one top priority from age 3-4 all the way to early 5th grade. I lost interest all the way through middle school (from all the ridiculing, no doubt), but now, I'm going full throttle on them once again. I'm going to the Restore 3-4 times a month now looking for toilets that I don't have yet. Right now I'm on a mission to get the entire lineup of Kohler Wellworths from 1936 to 2015.  
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 10:01:26 PM » Author: nicksfans
I haven't been officially diagnosed with any disorder, but I sometimes wonder if I have mild Asperger's. I have had various interests/fixations over the years, from short-lived ones like pencils and car tires when I was in elementary school to long-time ones like lighting and audio equipment. I was collecting vintage ceiling fans at one point and I still have TONS of insulators, which my brother and I both collected heavily for a couple of years, going to swap meets and everything. Over the last few years I've also developed a mild interest in classic cars. I used to be pretty introverted, and I still am to some extent, but that has been changing over the last 5 years or so. It helps that I can drive myself places now and hang out with friends whenever I like. I think my mind has begun to "settle down" now that I'm an adult (I'm 18 currently and start college in the fall).

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 07:26:24 AM » Author: dor123
I'm asperger, and I can't live in an independent house or apartment, so I live in a hostel for aspergers in Qiryat Ata.
In many of my videos, my asperger behaviors can be seen through my speaking (Despite I'm speaking hebrew and not english in these videos).

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 01:28:02 PM » Author: RCM442
@dor123 I still live with my parents, it would be nice to be able to move out on my own someday (I've been thinking about it) But I would need someone else to live with me for support!

@Everyone else, interesting how most of us have some form of Autism Spectrum Disorder!

Administrator #4

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 05:12:49 PM » Author: RCM442
Im slightly Autistic and have always been into lighting, never rally changed from that. The other things im into is pulling nice lasses after a night on the tiles, they have to have a nice curved bum and medium to large boobies  :o 

Can't believe I'm about to say this here but I like larger women, or if I can find a nice guy that likes me  :o Yes I'm bi, so what!  :P
Back on topic now lol

Administrator #4

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 01:38:49 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Interesting thread.  I'm also in the Aspie category myself.  Here again, I'm of the 90/early 00s generation where many children with developmental delays or abnormalities were diagnosed. Reading this, I also think if I was re-evaluated I might test out of it though.  But I don't really care.  I used to hate it (Yeah those programs are terrible) but the "label" isn't really "read" for me anymore so I just ignore it for the most part.  I can live a totally normal life but may be slightly socially awkward.
My interests have also come and gone, but long-gone ones do resurface if I'm exposed to that thing again. 
-I've always been into lighting, but LG, GOL, and YT spiked my interest for sure and got me to start collecting about 4 years ago now. 
-I'm into radios/tuners as well.  That's from both personal experience, and, here again, the Internet.  I remember seeing 70s era tuners/amplifers before I was interested and not really even giving them a second glance but still don't own any myself, save for a 1970s GE flip-number clock-radio I haven't seen in over a year, it's out of state but I hope to reconnect with it. 
-I'm in/out of interest with ATVs
-Same for heavy equipment, especially excavators
-Wooden boats, this comes and goes too as I'm  around then/not around them.
-Insulators; I haven't collected actively in a couple years but if I found more I'd grab them (I have a decent size collection of them, all common Hemingray 42s, etc. though.).
-And the latest bug that's bitten me is the idea of owning and regularly driving (around town, etc) a  "Deuce and a half" (60s-90s era 2.5 ex-army truck).  This one was TOTALLY one of those "Watch a few youtube vids and I'm hooked" interests. Funny thing is I rode in the cab of one about three years ago and thought nothing of it at the time. Now I'm trying to remember as much as I can about that LOL. That's the latest interest, but I could be doing more to learn about them then I am LOL.

So yeah, another Aspie with a lot of "strange" interests, from the 90s when a lot of people were diagnosed with it.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 02:00:44 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
I can live a totally normal life but may be slightly socially awkward.

Me exactly. Although it goes a bit farther than that with me in that I'll be 21 in four days, and I don't even have a drivers license. The thought of driving just really scares me, and I simply choose not to do it, even though I have my permit and could practice. I guess that's one of the few off-putting things of being "the way I am".

I guess I got real lucky growing up during the mass diagnosis era. Mom's got a photo of me - I don't remember at what age, but it couldn't have been far past 2 - I had taken an Uno deck and sorted every card by number and color. Another thing is I wasn't even walking around on my own until I was almost 3, opting to use one of those toy push mower things until then. Although Mom attributes that to me being smart enough to consciously avoid falling. :P I guess it was by luck that neither of those things raised a red flag for anyone.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 02:13:23 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Here in AK you can get your permit at 14 and I just got the book at 17...but I intend to drive.
I learned to crawl AFTER I learned to walk!
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 07:58:13 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Yeah, I had a really bad driving scare the other day. My mother was blabbing on her phone and it was distracting me, and I didn't yield when I was supposed to, and we came within inches of having a collision. Praise Jesus that we didn't. 
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone else here Autistic? « Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 08:41:59 PM » Author: ace100w120v
The one I hate is speeding drivers...80 in a 55 zone, etc.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies