Author Topic: Speed/kind of your Internet connection?  (Read 14389 times)
merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « on: May 07, 2015, 05:27:48 PM » Author: merc
As there are members throughout the world I wonder what Internet connection do you use?

I live in a small town so it's nothing really breathtaking, 35Mbit up/down aggregated 1:4. In fact, independent speedometer shows always something around 31 to 33 Mbit. We have an optical fiber connection to our house so it's sufficient in other parameters (response time) and it's reliability is satisfying.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 11:17:25 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Mine is AT&T broadband.  Fastest "speed" is 768KBPS I think.  Fast enough to play Pandora and surf LG at the same time, but much else slows it way down.
In a town of 45 people too...and you can tell at around 8:30 in the morning and 5:00 in the evening when everyone is on at once it slows way down.  I liken it to rush hour traffic.
They're talking about upgrading it though.
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 11:46:32 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
My Internet Service Provider is a guy named Chuck Farter.  ;D  (Charter Communications joke.)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 12:31:11 AM » Author: Ash
ADSL 15Mbit/s down, about 1Mbit/s up. ISP - Bezeq International

Started from dial up in the 90s, then moved to ADSL 750kbit/s down somewhere in the early 2000s. Since then i just use the cheapest package from this ISP (there are cheaper ones but they are not as good), and let them bump my speed up by themselfes every time they discontinue the slowest package and have to upgrade everyone (but they dont start charging more)
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 05:02:50 AM » Author: icefoglights
My home internet connection is a UHF WISP.  Being UHF, it doesn't require a perfect line of sight, but it does effect speed.  Supposed to be 512 kbps down, but I'm sure it falls short of that most of the time.  Going to be getting even slower now that the trees are starting to leaf out.  Sufficient for web browsing, but won't do YouTube.  If I need more speed, I tether off my iPhone.  Before the WISP and mobile internet, it was 28 kbps dial-up.

The most amazing internet connection I've ever had was when I spent a week in Washington.  The hotel I was staying at was nearly across the street from Microsoft's Redmond campus.  Don't know how fast it was, but it was fast  :o

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 08:29:33 AM » Author: hannahs lights
Mine is now fiber up to the distribution box around 200 yards from my house then ancient copper wire from the box to my house. The speed is around 0.4 Mbits per second down to 0.085 Mbits  in the rain yes really!
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 10:59:31 AM » Author: Ash
I had dropouts during rain. Tracked it down to a cable buried below the home which was of inappropriate type for the task, apparently had some pinhole isolation damage, and shorted out every time it was getting submerged. I replaced the cable
mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 11:49:07 AM » Author: mrboojay
We use TWC at home, upgraded from a 10Mb down and 1 down to a 30 up and 3 down with Insight and they bumped the up to 5 for some reason, but I won't complain.  But then Insight was bought out by TWC and everything remained pretty much unchanged and we still have the 30Up 5Down.  Where I used to work it was a 30/3 commection going from Cincinnati Bell Fioptics fiber to copper DSL, not a bad connection at all just seem to reliably cut out every few days, but only for a few seconds. (I am on an IRC server, so I can tell when the connection drops).  Now where I currently work there is a 10/10 connection which I think is TWC fiber.  If I remember to I need to bring my YouTube videos here and upload them, 10 Up is very cool.

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 01:38:11 PM » Author: ace100w120v
@icefoglights, are you describing that broadband stuff with either the little suction cup antenna for a window or the miniature TV-looking antenna?
Mine will do YouTube pretty well actually for what it is, but uploading a video to YouTube (Which I have done, I have a channel there) takes practically all day for something 5-8 minutes long!
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 01:39:01 PM » Author: marcopete87
5Mbps avg.
However, ADSL is quite new in Italy (until 2003 i had only 48k and now, half Italy have the same issue).
ISP are promoting 20Mbps ADSL, but no one can reach this speed because old wires (because wiring is property of one of our isp, this isp don't mind about replacing decades old wire with low performance).
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 01:54:22 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
We have DSL, 7 Mbps down, 0.5 up. Until a couple of years ago it was 1.5 down, so 7 was a huge upgrade. Before 2005 or so we had 28.8k dial-up. Those were the days.

The motel where I live while going to school has 50 Mbps fiber, but because we have 20-30 people using the one network simultaneously, and most of the rooms have Panasonic Inverter microwaves which cause WiFi interference, the speed is usually less than 5 Mbps.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 02:09:24 PM » Author: ace100w120v
My Sharp Caurosel microwave interferes with my SiriusXM sat radio!
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 03:57:59 PM » Author: dor123
I've ADSL 10Mbit/s download, 800Kbit/s upload. ISP: Bezeq International

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 11:26:46 AM » Author: merc
Thanks for your replies!

Looks like many of you use ADSL. We had it for years, IIRC 6Mbit down / 0.375 up. The download was fine but upload was a real PITA. Not only that uploading a bunch of photos was always taking ages but it actually prevented from doing anything else at the same time. Also simple browsing on local sites with lots of images and multimedia content was capable of killing the Internet radio.

There has been faster VDSL connection across the lake (less than 1 km / 0.5 mile away) but our former provider O2 was unable to say when they bring it to us. (It's quite frustrating to communicate with huge organizations like them.)

Now a local guy is our ISP. That 35/35 MBit works like a charm and it's even cheaper than that telecommunications giant!
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Speed/kind of your Internet connection? « Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 01:02:46 AM » Author: Solanaceae
I use atnt wifi and it is the worse Internet ever.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies