Author Topic: Oddly satisfying things  (Read 65379 times)
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 03:52:51 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
For me, one thing that is odly satisfying is to do the laundry. There is just something on it and I could do it all day,(no I dont work in a landry)

Other thing I like is the sound of EOL preheat fluorescent lamp blinking. I like it best when the starter is older one and the blinking rate is slower. Starters with metal can will have better sound. Bllinking light itself is annoying but the sound is simething that makes me relaxed.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 01:53:38 PM » Author: CEB1993
This looks like the opposite of the Annoying Things topic :D  I have a lot of things that are oddly satisfying and enjoyable:

A freshly washed and waxed shiny car
Seeing the gas gauge needle go up to the "full" mark after refueling
Doing laundry and the smell of clean clothes (I agree with you, Roi_hartmann)
The sound of ice cubes when first dumped into a cooler as they begin to melt and chill your drinks
The appearance of an incandescent filament through an unusually thin soft white coating
Vacuuming and hearing crunching sounds as dirt is sucked up
Getting into a hot car that's been parked in the sun on a cold winter day
Cutting into a perfectly cooked medium rare steak
The smell of fresh fallen rain
Watching and hearing a big thunderstorm roll in from the back porch
Going outside on the first cool, non-humid early fall day in September
Seeing an incandescent vertical filament bend into more of a C shape as it ages or is burnt horizontally
The heavy, tired feeling through out your body after running, swimming, or kayaking
The warm pink light from modified spectrum halogen bulbs

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 02:56:09 PM » Author: Lumex120
I also love the look of a beaten up, dayburning, dimmed out mercury vapor yardblaster with a missing refractor. Bonus points if it has a coated lamp.

Unofficial LG Discord

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 08:37:36 PM » Author: sol
I also love the look of a beaten up, dayburning, dimmed out mercury vapor yardblaster with a missing refractor. Bonus points if it has a coated lamp.

Oh, yes. For me, it doesn't need to be a yard blaster, but any NEMA head, ballast-in-arm etc will do. Basically any MV fixture that has a vertical lamp with a bucket refractor, but the lamp has to be coated. My bonus points are when the lamp shape is BT. Unfortunately, a rare sight here...
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 07:55:52 AM » Author: suzukir122
-Weightlifting, though painful, is oddly satisfying
-Fluorescent lamp EOL's
-Cars and motorcycles firing up
-Rapid start lamps successfully firing up

Why in the world is that all I can think of?  :-\

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 08:10:28 AM » Author: sol
Doors that latch properly with a satisfying click, and that lock and unlock easily as they should. This means keys cut correctly and working smoothly (not really the Home Depot ones cut by someone who doesn't care).

Returning to the satisfying lighting, I like to see a (preferably MV) very old fixture that has done decades of service, normally with bucket optics (NEMA, ballast-in-arm, etc.) with a new PC and lamp. A testament of how well they are built. That and the same with fluorescent lamps, especially if they still have magnetic gear.
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 10:06:21 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
I remember trencheel303 mentioned peeling the protective film off new electronic devices earlier in the thread. I agree that is very satisfying to me as well as the smell of "fresh electronics".

Here is a list:

• Freshly cleaned/dusted computer system
  • Seeing the fuel guage needle shoot up to F after filling the tank in my car and starting the engine
  • Satisfying click sound and tactile feedback from some switches
  • Having a fixture relamped after the old lamp was at EOL for ages, seeing the area surrounding the lamp is nice and bright again.
  • The soft feeling buttons that require little effort to press on the remote of my Sony Bravia LCD TV compared to the feel of cheaper remotes.
  • Watching a LPS/SOX lamp warm up, or seeing a large group of them turn on at dusk which I get to watch nearby a lot.
  • Smell of brand new tyres.
  • Smell of freshly cut grass
  • Seeing the sky turn black before a severe thunderstorm during summer (it is winter at the moment in Australia, and we have a few severe storms where I live)
  • Keeping ice cold drinks in a car fridge in the boot of my car on road trips, and getting a nice cold Cola in the middle of nowhere on a very hot day.
  • Freshly washed bedding.

I can't think of anything else at this time.
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 10:07:56 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
For me, one thing that is odly satisfying is to do the laundry. There is just something on it and I could do it all day,(no I dont work in a landry)

Other thing I like is the sound of EOL preheat fluorescent lamp blinking. I like it best when the starter is older one and the blinking rate is slower. Starters with metal can will have better sound. Bllinking light itself is annoying but the sound is simething that makes me relaxed.

Oh yes! I love the pinging sound of the starter trying to start an EOL lamp. I also like hearing the faint hum of a fluorescent ballast to break up the silence in a room. ;)
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 11:46:38 PM » Author: Lodge
I keep it simple, freshly made coffee from my vintage all glass stove top pyrex coffee percolator, none of this luke warm single serve junk, just a cup of hot fresh coffee complete with some grinds in the bottom of my cup, and people who give me there old rusty cast iron cookware telling my its junk and then making it look and cook like it's brand new in under 24 hours and hanging it with my other addiction collecting cast iron cookware.. I also like listening the vacuum seal breaking on a can of home canned salmon as I poke a knife though the lid and eating it right out of the jar with a fork..   
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 11:48:35 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
Yep! Nothing beats freshly made coffee, not the instant made stuff. I love the smell of bacon cooking first thing in the morning or freshly baked cookies.
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #25 on: July 08, 2017, 01:41:18 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I keep it simple, freshly made coffee from my vintage all glass stove top pyrex coffee percolator, none of this luke warm single serve junk, just a cup of hot fresh coffee complete with some grinds in the bottom of my cup, and people who give me there old rusty cast iron cookware telling my its junk and then making it look and cook like it's brand new in under 24 hours and hanging it with my other addiction collecting cast iron cookware.. I also like listening the vacuum seal breaking on a can of home canned salmon as I poke a knife though the lid and eating it right out of the jar with a fork..    
Oh yes! With percolator you really can make cup of "d#mn fine coffee". As Dale Cooper would verbalize it.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 05:38:57 AM » Author: sol

I use one of those Pyrex percolator pots to make tea (just the pot, not the percolator parts inside). Go figure !
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #27 on: July 08, 2017, 08:33:22 AM » Author: suzukir122
I've never had coffee... the closest thing to coffee that I enjoy, although totally different, is hot chocolate. Aww man... some
hot chocolate with milk added instead of water... so nice, smooth, and rich. Add several marshmallows to it and I'm goonnnneeeee.
haha
And then there's bacon. OOOOOOOOOOO! Bacon, bacon, bacon and BACON!! Nothing beats that sizzling crackling and popping!! Then the smell... and then
the taste!!! HAHAHAHA... *ahem*...granted, bacon isn't necessarily the best protein filled food, and it's also covered in fat
most of the time... but it's one of those foods where, when the smell hits your nostrils, it's far too late to turn away.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #28 on: July 08, 2017, 07:10:19 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
I'm about to cook up some nice, lovely, aromatic, juicy bacon for breakfast. ;)

Another thing that satisfies me is nice, warm clothes fresh out of the dryer on a freezing cold morning. 8)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 02:33:56 PM » Author: CEB1993
Suzukir122 and Mercurylamps,

I love bacon!  Especially bacon that's not too crispy.  In fact, there's a restaurant that I like that has thick cut bacon as an appetizer.  It's like a 10 inch long one inch thick slice of sizzling bacon, my guilty pleasure.  

Here's a few more really satisfying things for me:

Freshly cleaned sunglasses
The hum and gentle breeze of a table fan as I go to sleep
The crackling of ice cubes when first dropped in bourbon
Feeling the heat in my car get warmer as the temp. gauge rises after a few minutes of driving on a cold morning
Lighting a room with a few lower wattage bulbs instead of one brighter bulb to set a relaxing mood
Lower pitched clicking sound of the turn signals in upscale cars
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:22:03 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies