Author Topic: Lighting That Scares You  (Read 16722 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 11:51:14 PM » Author: Silverliner
How about this one? This scares me a bit lol.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/agentsmj/4475594193/in/photolist-7PuAe8-7PuzJV-7Pyywu-7PuzhV-7Pyy8w-7Puy3V-7PywV7-7PywA9-7Puxgp-7Pyw7u-7PuwHe-7PuwkM-7Puw4i-7AQdb4-7yzECy-7d394e-761bRn-7PuvMi-7Puvvr-7PuvbM-7PytQW-7Puuft-7PysT7-7PyspG-7PusKa-7PyrqL-7Pyqxu-7PypRj-7PuqbV-7PyoY7-7PupzP-7PynMj-7Pynq1-7Puoaz-7PymUb-7PymK1-7PunsX-7PykD5-7Pyku3-7Pykcw-7Pum4Z-7PukSF-7Pyjxh-7Pyjkh-7Puk9v-7PujMc-7Puj46-7Puiqt-7Pyhdy-7PygGd

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 04:17:21 PM » Author: Binarix128
...I'd love to have one of the exhaust fan/light combo that have blue night light LED over the shower. It would be so relaxing with the blue glow...
So true!  ;D ;D ;D
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #17 on: August 01, 2019, 10:34:56 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Super high pressure lamps, aka BOMBS ! :o

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

huffmuds9320

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 05:38:56 PM » Author: huffmuds9320
When I was a kid I was afraid of those halogen torchiere floor lamps, believe it uses the double ended quartz bulb. One day I was playing around with a paper airplane in the house and accidentally got it on top of the lamp while it was on. Saw some smoke from the burning paper, scared the heck out of me but good thing my parents were home at the time.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 06:18:40 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Those "torchiere" lamps have caused more than one house fire !

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 08:52:07 PM » Author: Lumex120
Those "torchiere" lamps have caused more than one house fire !
Well why else do you think they have the word "torch" in their name?

Unofficial LG Discord

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 10:04:07 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Well why else do you think they have the word "torch" in their name?

NICE ONE ! ;D

Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #22 on: August 11, 2019, 08:19:26 AM » Author: Edmund Ironside
Old school arc lamps are scary.

Made in Sweden

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 01:17:55 AM » Author: tolivac
Xenon projection lamps!When those go-like a grenade going off!and damage to repair-replace.Esp with new digital projectors-when the Xenon bulb lets go-you may have to replace an EXPENSIVE light engine.If the bulb fails under the lamp warranty-then the bulb maker pays for it!
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 01:37:31 PM » Author: BT25
I can't really say that a light in of itself ever scared me, but being on a 50' boom  doing lighting repair in windy weather can be quite difficult.

My worst experience was working 40' above ground on a pole and being told by the maintenance personnel that the luminaire operates on 277V and not having a way to shut the power down. After hooking up the common conductor, the ballast began to hum, which I though was odd. Next I hooked up the 277V lead, and within seconds the ballast burst into flames like starting a BBQ. I couldn't back the bucket away fast enough. Come to find out someone screwed up the feeder (someone had done some under ground work near the pole) and it was actually 480V. I didn't have a 480V ballast on my truck, so I had to come back later and I brought a co-worker in case something else went wrong.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:43:28 PM by WestinghouseCeramalux » Logged

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 01:40:58 PM » Author: BT25
How about this one? This scares me a bit lol.
Yep, especially if you're walking around at night and the light is still hot!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:28:28 PM by WestinghouseCeramalux » Logged

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 12:57:00 AM » Author: ace100w120v
-Exposed HID lamps (Though I have a few myself in use)

-Infared heat lamps (Fire hazard, boom/hot glass hazard if they break

-linear quartz halogens for same reason (Someone mentioned "Torch"-iere lamps)

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 02:07:37 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I don’t know if I’d brand this as scary, but more of a wow factor, back in high school, I was part of a group that would set the main hall up for morning assembly.
The sports hall lighting was in the form of 32, 250 watt SON-E high pressure sodium low bays, the cleaners would fire the lights up via a key switch in the hall reception, and if you entered the, pitch black hall, (it had no windows), as they turned the key in the morning, you got quite a daunting experience!

Watching 32 HPS lamps fire into life in a dark and quiet hall, (with all their blue and orange flashes), and hearing 32 ballasts rattling their gear trays as the ignition pulse shot through them was, you could say, a frightening experience!!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #28 on: November 20, 2019, 10:19:32 PM » Author: LightsDelight
Rich - That would be really cool to see :). I've never seen HPS being used inside except on one occasion, I was doing a job in Mackay (North Queensland), I do security system work, the truck loading shed was filled with low-bays usually MH or MV but have seen some HPS ones.

Lumex120 - There is a fitting at my school gym that has a really worn 400W MV lamp in it and it cycles, I don't know why but when the lamp is off the choke is humming loudly then it gets quieter as the lamp warms up. the fitting is the one in the photo attached.

Keep discharge lighting alive

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #29 on: November 22, 2019, 04:21:35 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Interesting you say that, HPS indoors was common here, mostly in sports halls and swimming pools, and as you say, in warehouses and docking ports, fast being replaced by LED now though.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies