Author Topic: A Troubled Fixture.  (Read 4788 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A Troubled Fixture. « Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 05:38:46 PM » Author: wattMaster
If there is no continuity, then there is no continuity. And you do what have to be done to make it

If the electrodes heat equally then they get the same voltage, which is probably the correct one

Voltage to a "floating" foil capacitively coupled can be anything weird. It is voltage to Earthed reflector that got to be measured, and there i would expect way higher. I'd expect on the order of 200V+ for starting of lamp.... Verify this with other US members

No, I am measuring the voltage when the tubes and fixture are running normally, and I got the same exact reading on other areas.
Update: I tried to measure the voltage when starting, but my meter was not fast enough because now the tubes want to start without the foil.  :(
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:43:26 PM by wattMaster » Logged

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A Troubled Fixture. « Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 08:22:52 PM » Author: Ash
Oh, that makes sense. I meant voltages that gotta be there before the lamps start
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A Troubled Fixture. « Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 08:41:27 PM » Author: wattMaster
So what should the plan of action be for making the reflector properly grounded?

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A Troubled Fixture. « Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 09:26:54 PM » Author: Ash
Anything that ensures its connection to the main part of the enclosure :

- Usually it happens anway, so dont have todo anything

- Sometimes an Earth wire and a tab on the reflector to connect it are provided

- Use screws with spikes under their heads or spikey washers
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A Troubled Fixture. « Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 09:32:18 PM » Author: wattMaster
Anything that ensures its connection to the main part of the enclosure :

- Usually it happens anway, so dont have todo anything

- Sometimes an Earth wire and a tab on the reflector to connect it are provided

- Use screws with spikes under their heads or spikey washers
Sounds like a plan, but what if the paint is the problem?

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: A Troubled Fixture. « Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 02:21:25 AM » Author: nicksfans
Paint on the reflector should not be an issue as long as the paint is scraped off under the screw heads to ensure good contact with the fixture.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A Troubled Fixture. « Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 08:18:33 AM » Author: wattMaster
Paint on the reflector should not be an issue as long as the paint is scraped off under the screw heads to ensure good contact with the fixture.
So that's what this problem boils down to. What an easy fix.
Update: I tried turning it on again, and it's broken again. But to fix it, I scratched some paint off where the screws are, and it finally turned on again. It works!  ;D I guess it's a case of persnickety screws.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 09:46:23 AM by wattMaster » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies