Author Topic: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged)  (Read 8685 times)
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « on: July 05, 2016, 06:44:57 PM » Author: Flurofan96
My ideal lighting for that matter be no doubt HPS lowbay lighting with elliptical HPS lamps as the orange glow gives a warm feeling whilst swimming

Also SOX/LPS used in Beta 2 lanterns or 180W in Philips MA60 lanterns mounted on the walls

coated MV and clear MV would be dead awesome to see but I wouldn't wanna be in the water!

LED would be HORRIBLE as it would create glare whilst in the water and if they're corn cob retrofits on wall floodlights, they will make the ceiling and most surroundings look dark, especially during night time!

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerge « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 09:28:01 PM » Author: wattMaster
I have actually been thinking of this, too, I think lots of high CRI T5 high bay fixtures would be the perfect fit.
Or have one giant CMH lamp in one spot, to simulate a sun.
I think anything Sodium would make everything look like a sunset.
Why wouldn't you want to be in the water with MV?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:34:20 PM by wattMaster » Logged

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 10:02:38 PM » Author: Ash
MH with fine Prismatic covers, such that they completely break up the shape of the arctube. Something like Prismatic wallpack or enclosed Prismatic lowbays/highbays (the type where all the dome is Prismatic, so lot of upwards light)

Install them on the sides of the room, so that they can be relamped without standing on a ladder in the water or draining the pool

Use low power lamps, ~100W max in a luminaire

(while at that, avoid any drop ceilings whatsoever in that room or corridors sharing the same air volume)

Possile alternative - 3 Meter columns with diffused posttop lanterns ("lollipop" or similar) installed indoors

Fluorescent lighting in some of the access areas leading to the pool - So that their light does not mix in with the HID light (and visually only the HID "belongs" to the immediate area of the pool), but in case of a power dip and the HID taking a while to restart, the area is not totall dark
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 10:23:04 PM » Author: wattMaster
I'm thinking of the local YMCA pool as my lighting planning choice, but I don't remember what lighting is in there, and we would need a pass to get in there, unless I get a job there which is not an option right now. But you can always construct your own. Maybe we could all fund one and all pitch in for the lighting. If 100 members donate $100, we could construct just a little. :(
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 10:27:16 PM by wattMaster » Logged

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 01:50:20 AM » Author: AngryHorse
All excellent ideas guys, although SOX in a pool area would be a no-go for me, the colour is just awful.
I would go for a mix of 400watt SON-T Deluxe, and 400watt tubular clear halide lamps, mounted side by side, (or one each in twin lamp floods), or 2 of each mounted on the circular pillars that hold the roof up.
This set up would be for the pool itself, as the sharp light of the halide, and the warm light of the HPS deluxe lamps would `compliment` the water.

I would also have lots of greenery, (i.e, palm trees, bushes, flowerbeds), in the seating, dining area, with red brick surrounds where they would grow, all lit with MV lamp to bring the green out.
Flora and fauna always look nice in swimming complexes, as they give that `tropical desert island` look!

I would also line the walkways, (away from the pool), with pillar lights fitted on small greenery areas, also running MV at 50watt, to give that holiday feel!
I WOULD use LED, but in down light form at the entrance, pay and information desks, and again in weatherproof form, for changing and locker room areas.

I should point out at this point, that my perfect pool wouldn`t be the `typical municipality pool`, but a large family water park, with more than one pool in it! ;D
One of the best examples I have ever seen is Japans `Ocean Dome`.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:00:31 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 02:23:56 AM » Author: dor123
At the swimming pool of Bet-Biram, they have asymmetrical floodlights that most of them have Venture pulse-start MH lamps and two have HPS lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 03:09:14 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah, that mix of HPS and MH seem to be a common installation pretty much all over the world, we had a pool here totally lit with 250watt MV, but they took them all out for T5, and now the place look dull and colourless?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 03:14:33 PM » Author: hannahs lights
I would use weatherproof fluorescents as the main lighting and a few colored spotlights for added atmosphere it goes without saying there would be NO LED and NO CFL anywhere. Also might be good to have a few of the floros as emergency ballasts just in case of a powercuts
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 04:21:16 PM » Author: wattMaster
Try getting some inspiration from the Gaylord Palms resort, it has everything except a pool.
I would use weatherproof LED strips underneath any rails.
And maybe some big CFL high bays over the pool.
Then add some reflector CMH bulbs for all of the plants and fauna.
Regarding your T5 problem, Maybe they used lower CRI tubes, but I would use the multi-phosphor 98 CRI ones.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:25:15 AM by wattMaster » Logged

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 05:03:43 PM » Author: Ash
Fluorescents are ok, but i think the appearance of MH light being refracted in water is better. So i'd use MH in the pool area and FL in the area leading to the pool

HPS and MH - Could be done, but i'd rather use uniform setup of a bit lower K MH than a mix of HPS with MH, as the water refracting light from sources of different color that are not exacty in the same spot makes quite funny effect
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 05:19:26 PM » Author: wattMaster
For a tropical feeling, use high K lighting, I would say 8000K to 12000K.
Have high bay lighting the highest it can be, but lower to the ground, have low bay fixture in between the high bays, and mount them with a long metal pole.

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 07:16:01 AM » Author: Flurofan96
Well I tell you what, a swimming pool that is not far off (belonging to Basingstoke council) has a main large 5x25 metre pool that is lit up by unusual looking triangular shaped MH fixtures that are facing upwards and they're supported by horizontal pole, so therefore indirectional MH light is really good especially when there is a wooden ceiling that bounces off the light in a warmer colour!

Haven't seen a pool area lit up by fluoresants as far as I've experienced but only in like the changing rooms and so fourth! 8000-12000K would be this colour http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-96859 this would be dead cool but I can't help associating bluish violet colour with cold so therefore to my eyes the pool would look a bit uninviting. Also I've not seen pool centres using a mix of HPS and MH to simply "colour balance" the area- its either MH or HPS!

Clear MV would be awesome to see for the plants & fauna as the colour does suit the greenery  8)

Normally for me I prefer HPS lighting for swimming pools as the orange glow really makes the pool look inviting

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 07:50:55 AM » Author: wattMaster
I'm talking about if the pool was lit with 12000K, take a photo of the pool, not at the lights.
I don't really know what clear MV would look like because there are few around.
I also think that indirect light would look nice.
To me, an orange glow makes the pool look odd, and Sodium lamps have low CRI, so the plants will look ugly.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:53:54 AM by wattMaster » Logged

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 04:35:53 PM » Author: Lumex120
If they will ship to UK, =0+%7E%7C%7E+No+Max&volts[]=0+%7E%7C%7E+No+Max&subId[]=48&sortBy=default&pageNum=2&itemsPerPage=10&offset=16&returnPage=products%2F]these would be ideal. They have a multitap ballast with a 240v option, and UK 400w HPS lamps are electrically identical to US 400w HPS lamps.

Unofficial LG Discord

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ideal lighting for a large indoor swimming pool venue (overhead, not submerged) « Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 04:36:47 PM » Author: wattMaster
If they will ship to UK, =0+%7E%7C%7E+No+Max&volts[]=0+%7E%7C%7E+No+Max&subId[]=48&sortBy=default&pageNum=2&itemsPerPage=10&offset=16&returnPage=products%2F]these would be ideal. They have a multitap ballast with a 240v option, and UK 400w HPS lamps are electrically identical to US 400w HPS lamps.
What for?

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies