Author Topic: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture.  (Read 5691 times)
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « on: July 14, 2016, 09:41:50 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Hi everyone.

I'm going to post my custom built 50 watt :mv: mini bucket light build that I'm currently working on.

Yesterday I received my brand new 35/39 watt PSMH core and coil ballast, igniter and 25 mF capacitor. Obviously the igniter will be left out when driving a MV lamp.

I'll be installing this gear in a NOS Regent Patio Lantern that was originally a H38 100 watt :mv:.

I'll be posting pics very soon, stay tuned.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 09:44:21 AM » Author: Lumex120
Hi everyone.

I'm going to post my custom built 50 watt :mv: mini bucket light build that I'm currently working on.

Yesterday I received my brand new 35/39 watt PSMH core and coil ballast, igniter and 25 mF capacitor. Obviously the igniter will be left out when driving a MV lamp.

I'll be installing this gear in a NOS Regent Patio Lantern that was originally a H38 100 watt :mv:.

I'll be posting pics very soon, stay tuned.

Nice! I am looking forward to seeing it. Have you tried it with a 50w lamp yet?

Unofficial LG Discord

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 08:26:20 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Sorry for the delay. I was fabricating a ballast/lamp socket bracket yesterday as the original one would no longer work.

I've not had a chance to run this lamp/ballast in the dark yet but during day light hours it's pretty bright and runs at .49 amps fully warmed up.

Here is a few pics. I do have a question though. Do I have to use this included capacitor? is this ballast a CWA or HFX type?
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:35:55 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Also awhile back I posted a pic of a sweet NOS Westinghouse Lifeguard 50 watt H46 MV lamp that I purchased off ebay.

Turns out it was a dud as one of the spot weld joints going to the starting probe was broken, probably from new.

I contacted the seller and he was very kind and sent me out another as he had like 6 available for sale. I have yet to test it out. You can see the Westie lamp in the top right of the first pic.
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 05:49:55 PM » Author: bucket175mv
Here is some more pics. You can see how I had to add those black angle brackets to the original one. This places the lamp socket  deeper in the fixture so the bulb doesn't stick out of the refecator and places the cross brace ballast clamp in the correct position to hold the ballast in place.

I also had to fab up the round cover as the original for the angle positioned socket would no longer work. It turned out great and in my opinion, looks factory made. I'll be posting a night shot tonight.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 06:03:11 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Awesome work. 8)

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 08:20:57 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Awesome work. 8)
Thanks Solanaceae. My goal was to create something that looked like it was factory made and to have a HID Mercury fixture that was suitable for residential use. I'm somewhat frustrated though, the light output from this 50w MV bulb and 35/39 watt ballast combo emits almost as much light as a 100w MV set up like it was originally :/ Any ideas? What I now need is a dim high hour greened out 50 watt :mv:lamp!
Here is a few night time shots.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 02:22:44 PM » Author: Medved
I'm somewhat frustrated though, the light output from this 50w MV bulb and 35/39 watt ballast combo emits almost as much light as a 100w MV set up like it was originally :/ Any ideas?

Well, that is to be expected with the MV - it is just not that efficient light source. And if you want some greened out, it will be even less light.

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 02:25:40 PM » Author: Ash
Isnt the problem here opposite, the lamp is too efficient ?
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 03:04:29 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Stunning job mate, look really well, with that slight hint of red in the light. ;)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 04:38:26 PM » Author: bucket175mv

Exactly! It seems to be just as bright as my 100w version but only consuming roughly half the power.
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 07:09:25 PM » Author: Solanaceae
The government hates this guy...here's why! (Get the reference)?

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 09:35:01 PM » Author: wattMaster
The government hates this guy...here's why! (Get the reference)?
Click bait?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 12:42:34 AM » Author: Medved

Exactly! It seems to be just as bright as my 100w version but only consuming roughly half the power.

I was assuming he was actually expecting to get more light...

No more selfballasted c***

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Custom 50 watt MV mini bucket fixture. « Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 08:58:53 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Is the capacitor that was included and I installed influence the lamp output in any way? Do I need to use the included capacitor?

Thanks.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies