Author Topic: 118 Volt Items  (Read 3263 times)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 118 Volt Items « Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 05:19:04 PM » Author: Medved
What is overloaded there are just the resistors, nothing else.
The resistors do not dissipate much more than about a watt or so for a 100W power supply design. So in the terms of the overall operation losses at full power, the resistor losses are negligible.

In case of the discharge controller failure (an anticipated failure mode, pretty equivalent to when supplying the thing from DC) the resistors should remain still safe. But that does not mean it may not degrade e.g. the PCB till a flash over and os blowing fuse.

If speaking about safety, there is way more severe consequence of running the thing at DC and not AC: It is the used fuse to protect against fire if some destructive failure mode happens. These fuses are designed just for AC, for DC they may not operate properly and that would be really very severe fire hazard (regardless of the filter capacitor discharge)...
And that is the reason, why you should never ever use any supply, which does not conform to the device rating. If the ballast is rated 100..277VAC, you may use it on 120V, on 240V, but you can never use it on a 180V locomotive starter battery (have seen that to illuminate the battery bay - hooked directly on the batteries, but it was with a ballast at least rated for 200..280VDC, beside the usual 100..250VAC)...

No more selfballasted c***

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 118 Volt Items « Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 05:20:57 PM » Author: wattMaster
That's interesting that these power supply circuits can be so picky.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 118 Volt Items « Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 06:28:23 PM » Author: hannahs lights
In the UK older ballasts are usually rated 240 volts or some times 230/250 volts they both will work the same its just the normal range of our mains voltage although I did here that in parts of London  and Essex it can go down to 210 volts at times. In my shack when the heater clicks on I lose about 8 volts and the flourolamps do dim a bit I've not seen if the new electronic one over the bench will be affected so badly its been too warm here to need the heater on since I got the new lamp
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies