Author Topic: Is Is A Good Idea To......  (Read 9420 times)
sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Is Is A Good Idea To...... « on: April 13, 2008, 06:09:03 PM » Author: sparkie
... MICROWAVE a Mercury Lamp?

It's quite funny listening to him saying 'safety is a top priority' then shoving a huge mercury bulb in the microwave... and indoors too! No ventilation just a fan to 'circulate the air'  :o

But a spectacular lightshow none the less! ;D
Mr. Big
Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:18:38 PM » Author: Mr. Big
I was the one who sent that guy a PM and he changed it..

and I've been subscribed to his videos for a long time now :D
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 06:44:35 PM » Author: TudorWhiz

Why not microwave a 1500 watt MH and a 2000 watt MV? how about the 10,000 watt MV!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Mr. Big
Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 11:49:44 PM » Author: Mr. Big
@sparkie, BTW this is filmed OUTSIDE! not inside, they mentioned it on one of there comments
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 10:47:02 AM » Author: FGS
What kind of merc lamp was it? Look like 250w to me.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 11:09:10 PM » Author: lite_lover
Looks kind of like a Sylvania,maybe 175W.A waste of a good BT shaped lamp,should of used a Chinese lamp instead. ;D

The brighter the better.

form109
Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 02:38:39 PM » Author: form109
what a waste of a good lamp it probably wont start up on the ballast anymore after that abuse.what a shameful thing to do.at least use a chinnese lamp that looks like a westy or phillips bulb.it definetly wont work after they burnt a hole in the outter bulb.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 03:02:01 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Actually MV has been known to continue to work even after the outer glass broke...but the danger is harmful UV rays though..

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Mr. Big
Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 03:45:08 PM » Author: Mr. Big
wont the seals oxidize?
Mr. Big
Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 08:14:07 PM » Author: Mr. Big
wont the seals oxidize?

Eventually they will...
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 10:14:54 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
yes they will, however I have known and seen some go over a month.....once in my old nieghborhood I remember one post top was vandalized and I would look at the back window to see all those fixtures, and one glowed green, and exposed the arc tube while the others were intact with coated outer glowing white. That light worked some nights, and others it didn't power on....I think it lasted a week after it broke....

.but I knew an AE fixture that had a nice plastic refractor on a road near me that one day in the mid 90s something was shot......and it lit dimmily without outer glass and refractor for a few months until it was serviced....never went out, just lit dimly....This exact fixture actually is still there and working, but I can not decide if it is now a FCO or refractorless....but hey, it works and actually lights better than a FCO HPS!

I have had seen those open type adversizings that says those open types are meant to have coated lamps, so that gotta mean the HPS FCO will do better job lighting up if the HPS was coated!

form109
Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 06:20:18 PM » Author: form109

Why not microwave a 1500 watt MH and a 2000 watt MV? how about the 10,000 watt MV!

i doubt a 10,000 watt mv lamp would even remotely fit in,neither would a 1500 watt mh.
SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 12:45:51 PM » Author: SeanB~1
I have been running an old arctube for a week now, running on a flourescent ballast. It glows, but drops 230V across it, and runs barely warm. I posted a shot of it. I did microwave a few lamps, starters and such, best was the S10 starter......
form109
Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 04:16:04 PM » Author: form109
i messeged him and he said they threw the bulb away! :'( :'(
sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is Is A Good Idea To...... « Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 05:58:00 PM » Author: sparkie
They're at it AGAIN!  :o
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies