Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 254334 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #330 on: September 15, 2019, 08:49:38 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I think I might go attempt to shimmey up an abandoned light post to snatch the BT shaped bulb and photocell

I've been reluctant to because that's honestly too much effort but I'm bored lol

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #331 on: September 15, 2019, 09:45:18 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Today I installed a new (well, new to me and the fixture anyway!) ballast in my Norelco 135/180 watt SOX streetlight. The original ballast had a loose wire/short in one of the coils. As the lamp would be warming up you could hear a SNAP! and out went the lamp. At one point I actually saw a small blue arc in one of the ballast windings and decided on replacement. The replacement was an eBay find that was used for some sort of science project ! It consisted of the ballast, the cap, 135w lamp and socket and some kind of homemade reflector thing. I made an offer on everything but the home made reflector . I type this under the glow of SOX !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #332 on: September 16, 2019, 01:27:09 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Today I installed a new (well, new to me and the fixture anyway!) ballast in my Norelco 135/180 watt SOX streetlight. The original ballast had a loose wire/short in one of the coils. As the lamp would be warming up you could hear a SNAP! and out went the lamp. At one point I actually saw a small blue arc in one of the ballast windings and decided on replacement. The replacement was an eBay find that was used for some sort of science project ! It consisted of the ballast, the cap, 135w lamp and socket and some kind of homemade reflector thing. I made an offer on everything but the home made reflector . I type this under the glow of SOX !
Awesome!

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #333 on: September 16, 2019, 09:05:04 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Thanks !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #334 on: September 17, 2019, 12:39:09 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Today I replaced a fried/burnt CFL 32 Watt ballast.  Philips/Advance only made it maybe.. 2 or 3 years.  Bummer.  And then I changed out about 30 F32T8 3000k for some 25 watt T8 3500k.  It was too bright in that room.  Looks much better now. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #335 on: September 17, 2019, 08:30:39 AM » Author: suzukir122
@RyanF40T12, what kind of fixture was that burnt CFL ballast in? lol... burnt CFL ballasts... I'm very
familiar with that as well, even from when I was a kid.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #336 on: September 17, 2019, 11:00:12 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
@RyanF40T12, what kind of fixture was that burnt CFL ballast in? lol... burnt CFL ballasts... I'm very
familiar with that as well, even from when I was a kid.

This was a pendant fixture.  4 CFL tubes.  (1 ballast per 2 tubes)  Can handle 26/32/42 watt.  In this room it has 3 pendants, with 4-32 watt 4100k bulbs in each, and a bunch of can lights (26 watt 4100k in the cans)  I use 32 watt 4100k in the pendants but had to get 2- 26 watt 4100k as that is all the nearest hardware store had at that time (they carried 3500k 32 watt but 3500k would look too off)  I'll eventually get the 2 26 watters swapped out for the 32 watt early next year when I can place a large supply order. 

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #337 on: September 17, 2019, 11:07:45 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
cleaned up a fixture that got some water in it from a leaky roof at one of my church buildings.  Also changed out all the tubes in this room as well from 3000k 32 watt to 3500k 25 watt.  Using this used collection I got from an old church converted over to LED  They work well. 

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #338 on: September 19, 2019, 01:14:32 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We're planning on mounting an E40 lamp holder onto a project box, with a flex coming from it to plug directly into the mains or onto a ballast board, but knowing how well we dither it might not get done for a few more days.!  :D

This is so that we can clamp the assembly into a workmate and run lamps that need to be run in the cap up position. :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #339 on: September 20, 2019, 04:07:03 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We're planning on mounting an E40 lamp holder onto a project box, with a flex coming from it to plug directly into the mains or onto a ballast board, but knowing how well we dither it might not get done for a few more days.!  :D

This is so that we can clamp the assembly into a workmate and run lamps that need to be run in the cap up position. :)

As predicted we didn't get the work done last night...   ::)
But we did get our act together today and have done most of the fabrication, all that is left to be done is to fit a plug to the end of the flex so that it can be used with any of the ballast boards or even plugged straight into a Variac.  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #340 on: September 21, 2019, 02:42:35 AM » Author: takemorepills
I've been up to a lot over the past few weeks.

I've been getting lucky with super-mint, NOS C6 Christmas lamps in minty original boxes. Mostly GE stuff from the late 40's. Can't believe the condition of the bulbs!

I've been ordering the appropriate wire and supplies to re-wire my 8 lamp C-6 loop strings to 12 lamp C-6 straight line strings.

I got around to adding a LIFX high-output WiFi RGBW A19 to my GE gumball, and I programmed a "mercury vapor new", "mercury vapor greened-out", "sodium vapor", "metal halide" and "plant light" preset. Works amazingly well, I can run my GE gumball all the time in my office with authentic colors without the heat of a real HID lamp.

Redid my entire office to T8 LED retrofits (42 tubes)

Added Volkswagen-Audi LED cargo lights to the trunk of my Infiniti Q60 (blasphemy!)

Bought a bunch of Osram Lightify RGBW A19's and BR30's for the exterior of our home. I can run custom color scenes for seasons, holidays, birthdays or football games.

Designed a new LED light source for my product line using some new devices from Analog and Samsung, getting the PCB prototyped next week.

Eventually I'll update my gallery!
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #341 on: September 21, 2019, 03:40:49 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Well yesterday, ( Friday), whilst going in for something totally different, I found 3 unused brand new 35 watt SOX in the WEEE lamp bin at our local wholesale!!!, counter guy, and long time friend Jordan, kindly let me have them for free.
Apparently they came from an industrial estate job, it came up in conversation, and whoever was the doofus that removed them DIDN’T Think to check the gear/fuse, that must have been at fault an put more new lamps in!!!!
Oh well, one mans garbage is another’s gold  ::)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #342 on: September 21, 2019, 04:30:20 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Today I changed out 2 more ballasts and put in programmed start to replace them.  (In a bathroom with motion/occupancy sensor)

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #343 on: September 21, 2019, 10:25:04 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Yesterday...
Broke out the Christmas lights :) didn't put anything up, but got the first group ready for putting up..

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #344 on: September 21, 2019, 02:25:28 PM » Author: suzukir122
Bruhh... my Philips 25w CMH Self Ballasted Par38 lamp just died. I've been using that lamp daily since sometime in October 2016.
Flipped the switch, 8 quick dim blue flashes and it died. So today I'm on the hunt for 23w and 24w Par38 Self Ballasted CMH lamps.
So basically either GE or Sylvania versions next. For real though, that Par38 served me well for almost 3 years of daily usage
and constant on/off. I'm surprised all 3 of my 20w CMH track lights outlasted it though.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies