Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 249854 times)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #285 on: April 03, 2019, 05:45:38 PM » Author: Lumex120
Why did you convert it to HPS from metal halide? Bad ballast?

Unofficial LG Discord

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #286 on: April 04, 2019, 02:56:34 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
HPS lasts 4+ times longer then MH.  I was changing out the MH bulbs every year and a half where as I can go 6-8+ years with the HPS. 
Today I replaced the bad HPS ballast on that wall pack and also replaced a worn out 15 year old T8 ballast and then a bad battery pack in another T8 fixture. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #287 on: April 10, 2019, 07:10:43 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Today I picked up a few freebies from Craigs List. 
An 8ft fixture (6 F32T8 tubes) which had old but like new pre-Ecologic Sylvania 3500k tubes in them,  and a box of 10 or so Philips 841 F32T8 lamps.

At another location I picked up 8 F40T12 shoplight fixtures that need a little TLC but will clean up nicely.  Has the cheap-o economy magnetic ballasts in them, so they'll get removed and a few will get HPF F40T12 magnetic ballasts and a few will be upgraded to T8. 

Photos will come soon.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #288 on: April 10, 2019, 09:26:12 PM » Author: suzukir122
Today, although I didn't physically do anything regarding buying or installing new lighting, I did discover something.
On my way home, there is a coin laundry/dryer store very close to where I live. (which is weird because literally
walking distance from that store, there's another one.) With this one in particular, the outside of it is lit with 6 HO
2 lamp strip fixtures... all of them look to be 7 footers. They work, but all are dim, 3 of them are even dimmer/shimmering.
All of them have been lit since 2015, back when I moved into this apartment. They've never been off, with the exception of power outages
of course. This morning I noticed one of the dim/shimmering ones had a lamp that finally reached EOL. I decided to
go and check out these fixtures close up and I discovered, all of them are Philip Altos. (That's why they were so dim)
Not sure if that EOL lamp lost vacuum though... but the filament on the good side of the lamp was glowing very brightly.
Maybe someday I can convince the owner of the store to have me relamp all of them, but I think those craptastic Philip Alto's
may have done damage to the ballasts at this point.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #289 on: April 12, 2019, 08:58:34 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@RyanF40T12:
If those are actually HO & not slimline, I really don't think EOL lamps will hurt anything.
And 7-foot :o ?? those are lamps rare to even see.

Swapped out the ballast on a 2xF32 fixture I have above a fishtank...finally git sick of it going out every time I bumped or moved it.
(there must be a loose wire or bad solder joint inside the ballast itself...I plan to crack it open & have a look .LOL. don't really care if I destroy it in the process.)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #290 on: April 13, 2019, 07:51:40 AM » Author: suzukir122
@xmaslightguy, sorry for the confusion, but that was me (Suzukir122) not RyanF40T12! lol  ::)
But yeah those fixtures *might* actually be 8 footers, but I really have no clue. They look too small
to be 8 footers, but too long to be 6 footers. I'll have to try to see the etch of those lamps close
up at some point in time for the wattages. I don't think these are slimline though.
These fixtures have been shimmering/flickering literally the entire time I've lived here, and even
before that. Wouldn't the constant shimmer/flicker eventually lead to capacitor failure with rapid start ballasts?
I forgot one more thing... two of those fixtures contain electronic ballasts... lamps still dim with those
as well, but no flicker/shimmering of course.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #291 on: April 13, 2019, 11:08:12 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@xmaslightguy, sorry for the confusion, but that was me (Suzukir122) not RyanF40T12! lol  ::)
But yeah those fixtures *might* actually be 8 footers, but I really have no clue. They look too small
to be 8 footers, but too long to be 6 footers. I'll have to try to see the etch of those lamps close
up at some point in time for the wattages. I don't think these are slimline though.
These fixtures have been shimmering/flickering literally the entire time I've lived here, and even
before that. Wouldn't the constant shimmer/flicker eventually lead to capacitor failure with rapid start ballasts?
I forgot one more thing... two of those fixtures contain electronic ballasts... lamps still dim with those
as well, but no flicker/shimmering of course.
I see that now, that is why one shouldn't post replies at night when tired...LOL...it should have been a split reply

I've never actually seen a 7-foot fixture (but really want one!), that size lamp was mainly used in signs.
The biggest thing (I believe) with flicker from EOL lamps is, as long as its not causing the ballast to overheat...Heat will

I wonder though if those fixtures since they're not EOL, if its one of these:
* The capacitors are partially bad? That would certainly make them dimmer & more flickery. Might also explain why a couple were replaced
* They're running on less than 120v? That makes HPF RS shimmer noticeably.

-------------------
Quote from: @RyanF40T12
  another location I picked up 8 F40T12 shoplight fixtures that need a little TLC but will clean up nicely.
Free shoplights is always a good thing...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #292 on: April 14, 2019, 07:19:30 AM » Author: suzukir122
I wonder if it's capacitor issues as well, because those lamps are really dim. I really can't conclude what it
could be, since they're using Philip Alto's. I can tell they're Philips, with those classic green end caps.

Interests:

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #293 on: April 14, 2019, 03:55:49 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Could just be wrong ballasts for those tubes. 

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #294 on: April 21, 2019, 10:17:26 PM » Author: suzukir122
Since I purchased my second motorcycle not too long ago, I'm back in the game regarding buying new lighting. So...
I just purchased one of those 2 lamp PL36 watt electronic Rapid Start Sadelite desk lamps from Ebay. This Sadelite
will be one of 3 since I'm purchasing 2 more. I'm going to convert them from electronic, to magnetic, since the wiring is literally
prepared for me to do so.
All three lamps will be replacing the 3 20w CMH Track Lights I use as uplighting in my room, as well as my screw in CMH 25w Par38 from Philips.
I'm retiring all 4 CMH's... for now. (*Edit*... that didn't happen)

*Edit/Update*... just received my Sadelite desk lamp... currently using it as uplighting for *part* of my bedroom. The other
half of my bedroom is still lit with two 20w CMH Track Lights as uplighting, and my other 20w CMH Track Light and Par38 screw
in are both being used in my living room as uplighting... I've decided to retire 5 of my 7 HPF Trigger Start desk lamps in my living room.
Might sell those ballasts... we'll see lol... but I've also decided that once I get my other 2 Sadelite desk lamps and magnetic ballasts,
I'll temporarily use all of my CMH's in my living room instead, and retire all 7 HPF Trigger Start desk lamps, instead of my CMH's
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 01:52:52 PM by suzukir122 » Logged

Interests:

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #295 on: May 01, 2019, 07:01:03 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
ReStore finds.  The GE CFL was .25 cents!  And I am a big fan of the britesticks.  will try that cool looking bulb soon. 

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #296 on: May 05, 2019, 03:49:42 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Last year we had a request at one of my church buildings to make things brighter in the 2 foyer/lobby areas.  Each foyer was lit by 4 old worn out circuline fixtures (2 lamps per fixture) and 4 cove fluorescent lights.  They replaced the 4 circuline fixtures with 4 LED panel lights which light up the area nicely.  Yesterday I did the other foyer.  While I like the circuline fluorescent stuff, they are just too dim for what this area needed.  I kept all the old fixtures. 

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #297 on: May 05, 2019, 06:22:18 PM » Author: suzukir122
Hopefully those LED panels actually last.

Interests:

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #298 on: May 06, 2019, 01:43:42 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Yup, we'll see.  So far 1 year good on the other side.  I kinda like them.  They are not glare bombs thanks to the faded cover. 

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #299 on: May 11, 2019, 05:17:03 PM » Author: High Intensity
Got a bunch of fluorescent fixtures (mostly newer ones) and will likely be getting more within the next 2 weeks.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies